EBay madness

Marcyg

8 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

A reasonably priced, built example will eventually turn up, then you can share one chassis between two finished bodies?

The parts are available, I checked on the availability of the Mainly Trains chassis from Wizard Models before putting in a bid. The expectations on The Small Metro Build thread was about £65, so I was surprised when I won.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What we called a Tupperware mine.

Not exactly military, something made by people who claim to have a just cause but haven't got the balls to put on a uniform and show their colours.

Things that maim and kill their own people, women, children and non combatants such as medics and aid workers.

Better leave it there, don't want to be whacked on the snout with a rolled up copy of The Guardian, dahlings.

Bad doggie.

Big, bad, doggie....

I understand. And I can imagine where.

• Agree 4

Just spotted this …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234873142810?

Yours for just £12.95 plus £3.50 p&p

A few words of caution …

1) It weren’t never made by Metcalfe…

2) The original ‘kit’ will set you back £3.96 with no p&p* but will take a few other materials (ink, paper, card, glue and time) to construct, probably just a little more time than the “TLC” required to repair the example for sale…

I know which choice I’d make (well, made, as I have three examples in different finishes!)

Steve S

* Scalescenes.com 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just spotted this …

A few words of caution …

2) The original ‘kit’ will set you back £3.96 with no p&p* but will take a few other materials (ink, paper, card, glue and time) to construct, probably just a little more time than the “TLC” required to repair the example for sale…

I know which choice I’d make (well, made, as I have three examples in different finishes!)

Steve S

* Scalescenes.com 

Bilteezi?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just spotted this …

A few words of caution …

Steve S

* Scalescenes.com 

Its not even a "factory", its a roundhouse segment....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Scalescenes I think.  That one has plenty of 'character', but not in a good way and it's badly overpriced!  The shape is interesting, and as I don't like my scenery/buildings to be too square and rightangled, they seldom are in real life unless they are on a rigidly planned grid or estate, is the sort of thing I approve of and could fit into an awkward site.

These cheap card kits can be useful as background, but one has to watch out for damp from pva distorting and wrinkling the card, as has happened on the eaves  of this example.  There is little 'relief' to them, but placed sensibly they can add to the scene quite effectively.

Just noticed that Steve S has asterisked the item as Scalescenes.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Scalescenes I think.  That one has plenty of 'character', but not in a good way and it's badly overpriced!  The shape is interesting, and as I don't like my scenery/buildings to be too square and rightangled, they seldom are in real life unless they are on a rigidly planned grid or estate, is the sort of thing I approve of and could fit into an awkward site.

These cheap card kits can be useful as background, but one has to watch out for damp from pva distorting and wrinkling the card, as has happened on the eaves  of this example.  There is little 'relief' to them, but placed sensibly they can add to the scene quite effectively.

Just noticed that Steve S has asterisked the item as Scalescenes.

It's Scalescenes boiler house.

T024b_Gallery06-1.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

It's Scalescenes boiler house.

T024b_Gallery06-1.jpg

What sort of prototype was it based on as it looks like a warehouse with a chimney base dumped on the front, I've seen numerous boiler rooms on industrial sites but none like this, the chimney location doesn't make sense...

• Like 2

Not exactly madness, I found this whilst hunting for something completely different.

Does anyone know what it is? What's left of the original paint suggests possibly Hornby Dublo to me. It might be something worth saving and restoring for someone though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304810821065?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DoXrwJOhTMO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Not exactly madness, I found this whilst hunting for something completely different.

Does anyone know what it is? What's left of the original paint suggests possibly Hornby Dublo to me. It might be something worth saving and restoring for someone though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304810821065?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DoXrwJOhTMO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Brings to mind a 1930s Southern Railway art deco building?

Hornby Dublo D1 Through Station.

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Brings to mind a 1930s Southern Railway art deco building?

Hornby Dublo D1 Through Station.

Thanks for that, it's never going to be a mint boxed collectors item, but it might be the basis of a conversion or upgrade.

I dropped the seller a message to put the information into the title. It's more likely to sell.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2023 at 15:14, The Johnster said:

The shape is interesting

John Wiffen designed a series of four “industrial” buildings; the warehouse and boiler house both have non-standard footprints, which means that if you assemble the four kits in a row that they make an interesting shape that is far from ‘straight’. Only the workshop and water tower have square footprints.

It’s a matter of opinion as to whether card models with photorealistic texture papers provide enough “relief” given that when scaled down to 1/76 things like the depth of mortar around bricks is almost unmeasurable; the counter argument is that embossed plasticard etc has far too much relief!

In any case, that example is overpriced especially for the state it is in!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’d say that photorealistic card models are very suitable in background roles, and are great value for money, but despite mortar depth and even the surface relief of brick (stone is another matter altogether, as is corrugated sheeting and slate roofs) being very small dimensionally in 4mm scale, relief is perceptible nonetheless, particularly viewed ‘into’ a light source where the shade, and hence the relief, is accentuated, and an important component of realism in buildings closer to the viewer.  

You are right to state that embossed plasticard and some other prepared modelling surfaces overstate relief, but given a choice between overdeep relief and no relief, I’d choose overdeep every time, within reasonable limits of course, and I’d say that plasticard is within reasonable limits to all but the most rabid rivet counters; this is a matter of taste and opinion of course.  An overdeep surface can be easily brought into line with a wash of dilute plaster to represent mortar or cement wiped from the surface so as to be left in the cracks before it dries, and then painted to suit with another wash, wiped off in the same way, but a flat surface is a flat surface, and you can’t do much about it. 

Photorealistic card buildings benefit from a spray-over of acrylic matt varnish to prevent light reflecting from them. 

And, yes, this particular example is certainly overpriced!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I’d say that photorealistic card models are very suitable in background roles, and are great value for money, but despite mortar depth and even the surface relief of brick (stone is another matter altogether, as is corrugated sheeting and slate roofs) being very small dimensionally in 4mm scale, relief is perceptible nonetheless, particularly viewed ‘into’ a light source where the shade, and hence the relief, is accentuated, and an important component of realism in buildings closer to the viewer.  

You are right to state that embossed plasticard and some other prepared modelling surfaces overstate relief, but given a choice between overdeep relief and no relief, I’d choose overdeep every time, within reasonable limits of course, and I’d say that plasticard is within reasonable limits to all but the most rabid rivet counters; this is a matter of taste and opinion of course.  An overdeep surface can be easily brought into line with a wash of dilute plaster to represent mortar or cement wiped from the surface so as to be left in the cracks before it dries, and then painted to suit with another wash, wiped off in the same way, but a flat surface is a flat surface, and you can’t do much about it. 

Photorealistic card buildings benefit from a spray-over of acrylic matt varnish to prevent light reflecting from them. 

And, yes, this particular example is certainly overpriced!

In a similar vein, it gets my goat when some manufacturers call their products textured sheets when they are obviously a plain flat sheet with pictures on, textured to me means Plasticard/SE Finecast/Redutex etc, or is it just me?

Mike.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

In a similar vein, it gets my goat when some manufacturers call their products textured sheets when they are obviously a plain flat sheet with pictures on, textured to me means Plasticard/SE Finecast/Redutex etc, or is it just me?

Mike.

Not just you, Mike.  Pictures of texture, not textured pictures.  Cheap & cheerful, and good for backdrops but not much more.  Now, if somebody could print photorealistic onto properly textured surfaces (registering would be a 'mare), we'd be on to something...

Cost is a big issue, for poor pensioner me at any rate.  Wills and similar textured plastic sheets are great, but not cheap if you have anything more than a small area to cover, and corrugated sheets seem particularly pricey.  I've tried making my own with silver paper out of chocolate (The Squeeze disposes of the chocolate for me) and ribbed 'precision' poundshop screwdrivers rolled over them, but the results have been indifferent at best. 

• Like 3