Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Dont think this has been mentioned on here before, But

Is there a defined rule as to what is the Scottish Highlands? I have had two occasions recently of being either unable to Purchase or surcharged Postage for Scottish Highlands, when my postcode is AB41, (14 miles outside Aberdeen).

In communications with sellers, they cannot define what this area is, where it starts and stops and why the extra charges for what is obviously not the Highlands!

I know of another instance where PA2 was refused when in reality its only 10 miles from Glasgow!

They are presumably using a private courier who charges extra for some regions - however, you'd think that if that was the case they'd be able to pass on their courier's exact rules.

If they're refusing PA2, they're probably going on the PA part only; it includes parts of the Inner Hebrides which a private courier almost certainly would charge extra for. Unless they can get a backload of whisky, of course!

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, when is Ebay going to do something about the 'new and unopened' description when we have an assembled and painted kit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kitbuilt-4mm-Scale-GWR-Dunster-Signal-Box-/270834831572?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f0f0390d4

Silly me...never of course, because they don't ever seem to be interested in the slightest. I've e-mailed them about it in the past..they never bothered with a reply apart from an automated acknowlegement.

Now that will be interesting to see what the final figure will be.

I've no idea what a true value of such a masterpiece would be, I'd almost be tempted to bid.....!

If I had the spare dollar I would be bidding, though the money put to one side for points is being sorely tested in staying safe in its account

Oh dear, when is Ebay going to do something about the 'new and unopened' description when we have an assembled and painted kit? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f0f0390d4

Silly me...never of course, because they don't ever seem to be interested in the slightest. I've e-mailed them about it in the past..they never bothered with a reply apart from an automated acknowlegement.

Its a bit like reporting people for keyword spamming, a problem that is prolific at the moment. It's a breach of the rules, but they don't do anything about it when you report it. I am really getting hacked off with the Lima Hornby Bachmann 20 31 40 47 50 etc in the description. Any one who does it will not get a bid from me. Rant over

• Like 1

Part of the problem is the way eBay rules work. If I build a model from scratch, then I can legitimately sell it as 'new' once I've finished making it; but if I build it from a kit, then it apparently isn't 'new' even if I've only just finished creating it.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

I think the distinction is that the kit has been used for it's intended purpose, to construct a model. The kit is by definition used, even if the model has done no more than stand on the workbench to be photographed.

A scratch built model is new because although its put together form component parts the purpose of these component was to produce a new item. You can sell the whole thing as new, whereas if you broke it back down to its components you'd have to class those as used if you tried to resell them.

However, a category such as kit built/customised, would be useful; car, aircraft, ship and military modellers, and people who build and collect doll's houses must have similiar issues.

Oh dear, when is Ebay going to do something about the 'new and unopened' description when we have an assembled and painted kit? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f0f0390d4

I asked the seller a question-

how is this kit new when it has been opened, assembled and painted?

The reply-

Well, you could say that the Lima coaches of which you have purchased via ebay in the past were once a kit of parts, before being made up in a factory and then sent out to shops for people such as yourself to purchase.

This model is new as it has been assembled and painted, but as yet has not been used for its intended purpose!

------

How is a kit that has been assembled NOT been used for its intended purpose?

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Gold

Part of the problem is the way eBay rules work. If I build a model from scratch, then I can legitimately sell it as 'new' once I've finished making it; but if I build it from a kit, then it apparently isn't 'new' even if I've only just finished creating it.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

I suspect it would make a lot of sense to a kit collector (yes, they really do exist - and sometimes pay remarkable prices if what I've seen is any guide) because to them 'new' or 'as new' means exactly that - it is an unassembled kit with all the parts still on the sprues and all the paperwork, transfers etc present and as they would be in a newly purchased kit. Years ago I sold a Kitmaster Garratt but the price offered was reduced (by the buyer) because I had previously assembled the frames and wheels - therefore it was not 'as new'.

I suspect it would make a lot of sense to a kit collector (yes, they really do exist - and sometimes pay remarkable prices if what I've seen is any guide) because to them 'new' or 'as new' means exactly that - it is an unassembled kit with all the parts still on the sprues and all the paperwork, transfers etc present and as they would be in a newly purchased kit. Years ago I sold a Kitmaster Garratt but the price offered was reduced (by the buyer) because I had previously assembled the frames and wheels - therefore it was not 'as new'.

Indeed, I can see that; part-building a kit tends to destroy its value as surely as taking a new car out of the showroom for its first run!

But as a 'kit-built loco' - or whatever - it might very well be absolutely new; it's just not a new 'kit'.

Guest Natalie Graham

So, if you commision a builder to build a model from a kit, is what you get from the builder new or used? Is it a new model or a used kit?

• RMweb Gold

So, if you commision a builder to build a model from a kit, is what you get from the builder new or used? Is it a new model or a used kit?

And what if, by agreement, part of your model is built from a kit, e.g. an etched set of signalbox steps on an otherwise scratchbuilt model?

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, as far as part-built kits go, this chap makes no bones about not knowing whether all the bits are there on this one

http://cgi.ebay.fr/K...=item3f0f1a946f

while this one is still in its shrink-wrap

http://cgi.ebay.fr/K...=item3f0f1a9454

Neither comes in my general category of a "bargain" at those starting prices!

Edited by Oldddudders

Its a bit like reporting people for keyword spamming, a problem that is prolific at the moment. It's a breach of the rules, but they don't do anything about it when you report it. I am really getting hacked off with the Lima Hornby Bachmann 20 31 40 47 50 etc in the description. Any one who does it will not get a bid from me. Rant over

HEAR HEAR!

My rant-o-meter registers a 10 every time I do a search and this, (generally tat), comes up!

Rant over!

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, here's one for the true blue anoraks, who really know their BR diesel fleet - what on earth is this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-BRITISH-RAIL-LIVERY-RUNNER-USE-CHASSIS-PROJECT-/230687977767?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35b6133127

I think it's an Alco RS2, not generally sold to BR in my awareness, maybe yours?

• RMweb Gold

Ok, here's one for the true blue anoraks, who really know their BR diesel fleet - what on earth is this?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b6133127

I think it's an Alco RS2, not generally sold to BR in my awareness, maybe yours?

I think you're probably corrrect. I've looked at these before and thought they look vaguely like 10800 as was.

In the text the loco is described as green. Presumably this is Stroudley's improved engine green (the grey variant)?

• Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item35b6133127

I think you're probably corrrect. I've looked at these before and thought they look vaguely like 10800 as was.

In the text the loco is described as green. Presumably this is Stroudley's improved engine green (the grey variant)?

Funnily enough, I thought of 10800, too, when I saw that. I'm sure I've seen an article somewhere about converting the Alco RS2 into a passable version of that loco (possibly it was on the British HO site?). As long as it's the version where the cab and bonnets are separate mouldings, I think it could be attempted.

And in fairness, the lot is descibed as a loco in British Railways livery, not a BR loco as such!

Edited by Steve K

What I'd like to know, is why certain Wrenn models can command prices like this one.

JE

They can't. It didn't sell for £995 so the seller has listed it again with a higher starting price. The last one at auction fetched £420 which although still silly, is nowhere near as high as this one.

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Sorry i just don't get it with Wrenn stuff asking these sort of prices? :O

I think "the market" has decided that these are now the antiques of our hobby, and as plenty of people are prepared to hold stock and advertise it at high prices, so a smaller number of collectors actually pay. It has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the models, which, while often robust, do not compare to the excellent standards of detail and precison running we are used to today.

• RMweb Gold

I think "the market" has decided that these are now the antiques of our hobby, and as plenty of people are prepared to hold stock and advertise it at high prices, so a smaller number of collectors actually pay. It has nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the models, which, while often robust, do not compare to the excellent standards of detail and precison running we are used to today.

For some reason which I still can't fathom Wrenn (ex Hornby Dublo) stuff has always commanded high prices in the 'collector market' and although - from what I saw locally - things dropped back a bit at auctions last year it seems to have gone streaking back up again this year. Perhaps one day it will go the way of blue & white striped china and the market will simply collapse?