EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Described as "Rare", this could be correct as the chimney is missing and the dome about 1 or 2mm off the boiler, there is probably not another like it. Presumably being sold by someone who doesn't know what  the model should look like or is a complete charlatan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304846117501?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=6c334b1e83d4498c9e6abb1768c797b9&bu=43007734306&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20230319012433&segname=11021

Is the chimney a press fit component? Or has it snapped off?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My suspicion would be that he does not actually own the models he is advertising, but will acquire them to order.

Caveat Emptor, just don't buy anything off him.

The description, or lack there of, and, lack of photos of the actual model would put me off.

Another major put off is I don't model in O gauge, but, I think he is a warning to all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

The description, or lack there of, and, lack of photos of the actual model would put me off.

Another major put off is I don't model in O gauge, but, I think he is a warning to all.

Report it as potential money laundering and you can bet that eBay will leap into doing sweet F.A. mode....

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Is the chimney a press fit component? Or has it snapped off?

Odd that the seller hasn't noticed the damage to this mint item.

Even five year olds know there should be a chimney.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

He probably doesn't wish to deter potential punters by drawing attention to such inconsequental details!? Chimney flimney! 😎

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

He will now … messaged him thus …

Hi

“Mint in box”? The dome on the boiler is loose and have you not noticed that the chimney is missing? (It looks as if it has been sawn off)

If this is how you received the loco new from Rails of Sheffield then you should return it under warranty as it was not sold in a fit condition.

Please note - this item is not “mint” - it is damaged; to describe it as “mint” does not reflect its true state and may be construed as deliberately misleading.

Regards

His other items are all power tools. Maybe he really is just totally ignorant? 

Wonder if I will get a reply?*

HOURS OF FUN!

* Actually, I don’t care - but I got it off my chest! As previously stated, even a five year old would notice if poor Thomas didn’t have a chimney at the front…

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

My suspicion would be that he does not actually own the models he is advertising, but will acquire them to order.

Caveat Emptor, just don't buy anything off him.

That sounds very dodgy! I got no reply to my question about whether he had photos of the actual item for sale. This guy's definitely not kosher.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Described as "Rare", this could be correct as the chimney is missing and the dome about 1 or 2mm off the boiler, there is probably not another like it. Presumably being sold by someone who doesn't know what  the model should look like or is a complete charlatan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304846117501?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=6c334b1e83d4498c9e6abb1768c797b9&bu=43007734306&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20230319012433&segname=11021

There are more pictures of the box than the model!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi

“Mint in box”? The dome on the boiler is loose and have you not noticed that the chimney is missing? (It looks as if it has been sawn off)

If this is how you received the loco new from Rails of Sheffield then you should return it under warranty as it was not sold in a fit condition.

Please note - this item is not “mint” - it is damaged; to describe it as “mint” does not reflect its true state and may be construed as deliberately misleading.

Regards

HOURS OF FUN!

* Actually, I don’t care - but I got it off my chest! As previously stated, even a five year old would notice if poor Thomas didn’t have a chimney at the front…

Sale now pulled. Item now lost or broken... no kidding.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 16/03/2023 at 21:16, John Mat said:

Or this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304838235272?

You can buy this, or phone Squires (the present owners of SEFinecast) and buy 10 for the same price 🙄

I contacted the seller at the time to tell him this and he seemed to be genuinely concerned because he asked me if I could send him the Finecast pricelist so he could get it right. I did so and he took the information contained therein really seriously and reduced the price from £129 to £79.50. A fine upstanding gentleman* he must be. 😎

*mendacious chiseller looking for an ignorant mug to rip off.

EDT:

I re-contacted him on the back of this "reduction" and said to him that I didn't know why he'd bothered asking me for the correct price. He responded five minutes ago:

Thanks for the message
We have carefully looked into this and reduced our price however we cannot sell this for £12.50 and that’s because the item we have is at lease a decade old and also it is not easy to order this item directly from the website or if it is we suggest you to order directly from them if you are interested in the item.
This listing had a lot of interest from the start of the sale therefore we think this price is a fair price although we may be willing to increase the price further in the near future.

I have therefore further responded:

Just because something is old doesn't make it worth more than one which is available now and its 'difficult' availablity from the manufacturer's website has no bearing on the price. The fact that you've had 'interest' only proves those looking at it were ignorant of its actual price. What you're doing is attempting to capitalise on that ignorance and it's contemptible.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

One thing that never fails to amaze are buyers who don't do their research, one example is a listing for a Chivers Pigeon Brake Van which sold for £27.05 plus £2.50 postage;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chivers-Finelines-4mm-OO-plastic-kit-D120-full-brake-pigeon-van-/256004551840?nma=true&si=YBT5Pjlhgiq53BDr%2By5W1WnMokQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If you Google "Chivers Pigeon Brake Van" the first result is the Chivers Finelines page for that very kit, which is only £16 plus £3.80 postage;

https://www.chiversfinelines.co.uk/shop/p/rc416-lner-dia-120-4w-by-pigeon-brake-van-kit

There were 4 bidders who would have paid £16 or more for the kit, I wonder if the unsuccessful ones have now visited the Chivers site? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi

Which reminds me to tell you all that it's fast approaching car boot sale time of year and to redouble the security on your workshop, shed or garage as the species of scrawny tracksuit wearing subhuman that struts around like a pigeon will be out looking for things to steal and quickly fence.

If you are unfortunate enough to be a victim of this type of crime, the only thing that you can guarantee is that the police won't be the least bit interested.

If you've been to a car boot sale, you do seem to get some very odd stalls that are either traders pretending to be civilians, or.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Sale now pulled. Item now lost or broken... no kidding.

Blimey, could this be the first time I reported a listing and ebay ACTUALLY did something? Surely not?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Madness? Well, I’m starting to think I am going mad …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204082434694

Except this was the second listing I spotted with exactly the same wording, price etc! I returned to the original listing (that I had bookmarked) to discover that the seller had changed… to the same that I had just looked at!

Off in search of a dark room to lie down in for a while…

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Swissrail said:

I contacted the seller at the time to tell him this and he seemed to be genuinely concerned because he asked me if I could send him the Finecast pricelist so he could get it right. I did so and he took the information contained therein really seriously and reduced the price from £129 to £79.50. A fine upstanding gentleman* he must be. 😎

*mendacious chiseller looking for an ignorant mug to rip off.

EDT:

I re-contacted him on the back of this "reduction" and said to him that I didn't know why he'd bothered asking me for the correct price. He responded five minutes ago:

Thanks for the message
We have carefully looked into this and reduced our price however we cannot sell this for £12.50 and that’s because the item we have is at lease a decade old and also it is not easy to order this item directly from the website or if it is we suggest you to order directly from them if you are interested in the item.
This listing had a lot of interest from the start of the sale therefore we think this price is a fair price although we may be willing to increase the price further in the near future.

I have therefore further responded:

Just because something is old doesn't make it worth more than one which is available now and its 'difficult' availablity from the manufacturer's website has no bearing on the price. The fact that you've had 'interest' only proves those looking at it were ignorant of its actual price. What you're doing is attempting to capitalise on that ignorance and it's contemptible.

I've got my popcorn at the ready!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

14 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi

Regards

HOURS OF FUN!

I got a reply…

I have taken the item off eBay because of your comments. I have just brought out the model to take pics the chimney just pushes on and is a tight fit. It is not broken off . It is as manufactured.

You know, I think the reviews in the model press might have been a little less glowing if the chimney “just pushe[d] on and [was] a tight fit” … as if!! 🙄

But, I feel so bad* - “I have taken the item off eBay because of your comments” - I appear to have upset the seller!

HOURS OF FUN!

* I’m lying

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I got a reply…

I have taken the item off eBay because of your comments. I have just brought out the model to take pics the chimney just pushes on and is a tight fit. It is not broken off . It is as manufactured.

You know, I think the reviews in the model press might have been a little less glowing if the chimney “just pushe[d] on and [was] a tight fit” … as if!! 🙄

But, I feel so bad* - “I have taken the item off eBay because of your comments” - I appear to have upset the seller!

HOURS OF FUN!

* I’m lying

Phew, my 100% record of ebay ignoring reported items is intact.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Decided to have a poke at Mr Gostude for advertising a number of locos as "brand new" when they are clearly not. Here's one of several such items -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364014663145

It's a Hornby N15 that's either been renumbered or renamed, and Gostude's own description says 

GOOD USED - DCC READY

This locomotive has been test run only.

Partly repainted with a matt black smoke box, footplate, loco cab roof and top of tender to represent how it would have run in service life. Wheels have also been re finished.

There are no detailing parts or instructions.

Comes in a good box.

Will see if he responds. 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the problem here is that he will be aware that there is no actual legal or contractual obligation conferrred by the term 'brand new'; it's meaningless in that sense.  G will no doubt claim that he is using this term to describe an item that is, in his opinion, in the same condition as it was when it was new.  He is entitled to claim this as his opinion, just as I am entitled to consider him a prince (well, the first three letters are the same) among mendacious chisellers. 

I cannot see why anybody on this site, where we know pretty well what he's like, bothers even looking at his stuff any more (and he's not the only one!).  It seems a waste of time beyond the 'look at what that idiot G is doing now'; there's a degree of entertainment value, but the joke is stale now, and to be honest, I'm just tired of him and his shennanigans.  We have, I contend, a duty to make newcomers aware of him and his ilk, but I'm bored with people apparently being constantly surprised at his attempts to sell junk at inflated prices.  It's what he does, don't give him the oxygen of publicity, or any more of the oxygen of oxygen that you have to...

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I've got my popcorn at the ready!

Mike.

He did finally get back to me with this nonsense...

Unfortunately at this occasion we cannot sell this for £12.50, our price will not be reduced further.
Age certainly adds value to collectives. Specifically when the item is rare or difficult to find.

He also seems not to know what the correct word for 'collectables' is either, on top of everything else. I respond, this time, rather pissed off at the man's ludicrous justification for a stupid price...

Age has no effect on the price of a model if it's still available to buy from the manufacturer. This wagon is not a "collectable", it's a current model, in the catalogue, neither rare nor difficult to find as you pretend; your example is simply old. I have, in fact, now bought one from Finecast for the correct price of £12.50 plus £4.00 postage*, itself half of what you're charging. Your wafer thin justification for the scandalous price of £79.50, therefore, is hogwash. The real reason is far simpler.
You're greedy, preying on the ignorant and expecting to get away with it.

*I lied.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 4