RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

On 25/03/2023 at 18:09, MrWolf said:

You'd have to know your stuff to get anything out of this, I would expect that the bidders do and have already matched up enough bits to generate their maximum bid.

I do much the same when buying a garage full of motorcycle parts. Make a fair bid on what I know I can reassemble and the rest I sort out over time.

I have a feeling hes bought a big job lot at an estate sale. Hes had a few lots of mix and match parts for sale one of which i bought. it looks like whoever packed it all up didnt spend much time working out what went where

2 hours ago, Swissrail said:

It's actually an acronym...Anonima Costruzioni Modellistiche Esatte which literally translates as Anonymous Exact Modelling Constructions. A very strange name indeed.

So it doesn't blow up, catapult you into telegraph wires, hurl you off a cliff and drop an anvil on you?

Most disappointing....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

45 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Anonymous is also used in the French equivalent of a limited liability company - Société Anonyme (S.A.)  I suppose it means you don't know who the shareholders are, and can't sue them to take their personal assets if the company goes bust.

"ACME is from the Greek for 'highest point'. In English, acme usually means the peak of perfection, a concept which easily transfers over to the fictitious name of a company in a film, book, or whatever."

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Rails of Sheffield at it again...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204268011852?hash=item2f8f52814c:g:EhUAAOSwm4JkCLRz

"Very good, boxed condition" they say. They have, rather more importantly, omitted to say that they've all been in the sun for a while and have taken on the attributes of the common or garden banana.

I contacted Rails who replied that the coaches are straight and it must be the photos causing the banana effect. Buyer can return them if not happy.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"ACME is from the Greek for 'highest point'. In English, acme usually means the peak of perfection, a concept which easily transfers over to the fictitious name of a company in a film, book, or whatever."

I'm sure I've seen the word ACME on actual products in the past?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

My Mum used to have an Acme wringer, It was a British firm that made washing products.

If you search Companies House there are dozens of Acmes registered

Edited by melmerby
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

37 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

32 minutes ago, melmerby said:

My Mum used to have an Acme wringer, It was a British firm that made washing products.

If you search Companies House there are dozens of Acmes registered

Apparently the camera equipment used for photographing the animation cels proclaimed that it was made by ACME, so Wile E. Coyote got all his useless rubbish from them. It was apparently a bit of an in-joke...

Edited by Hroth
added an extra word, looks better!
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

49 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

It's also the name of a US supermarket - been in one many times.

Curiously they don't sell TNT.

Anvils?

One Ton weights??

Giant Magnets???

Pity....

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

It's also the name of a US supermarket - been in one many times.

Curiously they don't sell TNT.

Nowadays your average wannabe Unabomber prefers C4, much less twitchy and adaptable.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Yes. £176 for four four-wheeled wagons is a just a bit on the steep side or am I being overly critical?!

Its a bit more expensive, but not hugely so than the other people offering it. Living outside the EU puts the price up a lot.

By the time I get them here from the US a single boxcar from the likes of Moloco or Tangent can be £80

2 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Its a bit more expensive, but not hugely so than the other people offering it. Living outside the EU puts the price up a lot.

By the time I get them here from the US a single boxcar from the likes of Moloco or Tangent can be £80

Fortunately I have relatives in Italy and I often have things sent there and I pick them up when I visit. It reduces costs, particularly postage, significantly.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114287851204

This one made me choke laughing on me glass of Hobgoblin Gold. The reason being that I can remember the days when if you bought something at a show the dealers would gleefully bung you three or four for nowt just to get rid of 'em.

Now where did mine get to ?.I know they're in the pile somewhere 😉

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2