EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

System hiccups....

Might as well use this.  Has anyone bothered to view his "restoration" video?  I can't be bothered watching his antics, but did he clean the commutator with his rotary wire brush again?

Edited by Hroth
extra!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

System hiccups....

Might as well use this.  Has anyone bothered to view his "restoration" video?  I can't be bothered watching his antics, but did he clean the commutator with his rotary wire brush again?

I rather like the etched brass cabside number that appears to be stuck on still attached to the sprue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Swissrail said:
11 hours ago, Swissrail said:

How are you supposed to make THIS work unless it's a tinplate coach:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185972755701?hash=item2b4cd70cf5:g:pO0AAOSw-NpkNbFO

Here are some more of this guy's offerings:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185972755422?hash=item2b4cd70bde:g:AswAAOSwjGljReVS

BR never painted that on the side of anything, ever.

Hi.

To be fair,Chappo does say that it's for a Hornby Dublo TPO which is tinplate, likewise most of his wagon stickers are to fit over old rusted/scratched Dublo tinplate wagons so no raised detail to worry about. Non of this defends his clearly wrong, plain barmy, description of them being waterslides.

I can't be sure but I've a feeling I had an interchange with this chap a few years ago but can't recall the details.

I wonder if  the Jinty is inspired by this from Dapol. (Who assume did some research?)The locos carry the same number. Personally it's the first time I've seen such a logo combination

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/products/Dapol-o-gauge-7s-026-007-class-3f-jinty-0-6-0t-br-black-e-c-47569

The Palethorpes artwork nearly made me choke on me beer. Then came an inspiration, toad in the hole for tea!

I've used sticky overlays on projects for pals who wanted some old bashed up tinplate rolling stock brightening up. I've done a couple of TPOs they're fiddly but, with care,can be made to work well. 

When required I use the overlays from a lovely chap name of Tony Winzar. He has hundreds of artworks for old tinplate Dublo and 0 gauge rolling stock and sometimes lists items on ebay under pipersdell. (BTW, Tony, gent that he is, describes his products as stickers or vinyl overlays)

Overlays have a certain popularity amongst some of the tinplate fraternity who, like me, can't bring themselves to throw anything in the bin !

Cheers, Rich

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 07/07/2023 at 11:30, Swissrail said:

£250 plus for some plastic labels stuck to a bit of metal that may or may not be from a Class 313? How could you be sure? It's the very definition of optimism.

They're very definitely the real thing but as they are the first artefacts from these units to come to market its a bit of a feeding frenzy and prices are, ahem, 'bullish'

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

With that expression, I’m not sure she thinks much of ‘im, either!

If I attempted to fit GIANT model railway couplings to my other half, I suspect I would spend the rest of the week sleeping in the shed!

• Funny 7

23 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

We’ve featured these particular items on here before, as the price gougers think these are definite winners to part fools from their cash…

Purple People Eater

Interestingly, most of the rhetoric in this seller’s description is in capitals, which means s/he is shouting at potential purchasers!

What I love, though, is the “rare” description, mentioned possibly three times … whilst there are approx ten more for sale right now, all considerably cheaper!

In fact, the cheapest, at £350 starting bid, hasn’t had any bids… so I am wondering how s/he thinks something priced at over four times that amount is going to sell!

I also find the whole bit about donating to the Queen’s charities at bit disingenuous - after all, I suspect the seller has no intention of making a % donation from this sale to those charities, whereas mentioning them suggests that maybe that might possibly be the case.

I messaged to ask about that…

I don’t want to buy it. I don’t particularly like it as a model in that colour. But I think I might message every month to ask how it is going with actually selling it…

Just for the hell of it! 😈

HOURS OF FUN!

He declined my offer of £150!Screenshot_20230709-072301_Chrome.jpg.c4c07ba6b7d24b99db58de46bb4cda75.jpg

18 hours ago, Swissrail said:

I messaged this seller to point out that the description talked of the loco and not the box. He replied in three messages with a diatribe of vitriol. This punter's a nasty piece of work:

And all that from a point made about him describing the loco and not the box. I love that bit about me being banned from buying from him. Oh the agony! The pain! How can I go on!? 🤣

He has the cheek to call you unintelligent, yet struggles with spelling and basic grammar. His rant on ebay is the same, he miss spells obvious, which obviously wasn't obvious too him.

Edited by PieGuyRob
Spelling mistake😳
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I also wonder if our eBay hero, prince among chisellers, is the same bloke who back in the late 80s.......banned me from his shop for putting in an offer on a secondhand kit 72xx which was a little heavily priced, but my temerity in not giving him what he wanted for it immedieately led him to summarily ban me on the spot. 

It certainly sounds like our guy with the hair trigger!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I don't believe his 'girlfriend' likes trains?

What on EARTH is that boy on? I wonder how much he paid that poor girl to appear in this farce who he then referred to as a "Heljan Cattle Van"? If she was his girlfriend then I can't imagine she is now but if she is someone needs to tell her she deserves better!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, TinTracks said:

I wonder if  the Jinty is inspired by this from Dapol. (Who assume did some research?)The locos carry the same number. Personally it's the first time I've seen such a logo combination

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/products/Dapol-o-gauge-7s-026-007-class-3f-jinty-0-6-0t-br-black-e-c-47569

Looks like it is although I still think that combination is extremely unlikely. If it did exist, it must have been a one off as the livery policy of BR at the time didn't stretch to the full title and a crest. The title was only really a stopgap until an emblem was developed and when it was, the title vanished pretty quickly. As far as I remember they were all were gone by 1950 so I can't imagine this combination ever seeing the light of day. I'm prepared to be proven wrong though!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Now 5 bidders at 75 sheets, with 7 hours to go. Will we see a late feeding frenzy??

It baffles me why anyone would part with money for that pile of junk...especially when it's advertised as such! As for it having "celebrity status", that must be a pretty low bar these days; Sam the girlfriend insulter ain't no celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Hi.

To be fair,Chappo does say that it's for a Hornby Dublo TPO which is tinplate, likewise most of his wagon stickers are to fit over old rusted/scratched Dublo tinplate wagons so no raised detail to worry about. Non of this defends his clearly wrong, plain barmy, description of them being waterslides.

I can't be sure but I've a feeling I had an interchange with this chap a few years ago but can't recall the details.

The Palethorpes artwork nearly made me choke on me beer. Then came an inspiration, toad in the hole for tea!

I've used sticky overlays on projects for pals who wanted some old bashed up tinplate rolling stock brightening up. I've done a couple of TPOs they're fiddly but, with care,can be made to work well. 

When required I use the overlays from a lovely chap name of Tony Winzar. He has hundreds of artworks for old tinplate Dublo and 0 gauge rolling stock and sometimes lists items on ebay under pipersdell. (BTW, Tony, gent that he is, describes his products as stickers or vinyl overlays)

Overlays have a certain popularity amongst some of the tinplate fraternity who, like me, can't bring themselves to throw anything in the bin !

Cheers, Rich

Yeah I guess if you have rusty tinplate wagons or coaches it's a decent option. Think I first came across this seller ages ago when I was looking for some reproduction nose transfers for the Triang transcontinental diesel. I suppose they could look half decent as well but the misleading description put me off buying. Only seen one of these 'in the wild' and it looked bloody awful and the green jinty illustrates the practical problems. You start with a black jinty and carefully cut up the sides and boiler bands and stick them on, but you're still left with a black and green jinty, so somehow you have to match the green labels to a paint. Much too much effort for probably a  very poor result.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

It baffles me why anyone would part with money for that pile of junk...especially when it's advertised as such! As for it having "celebrity status", that must be a pretty low bar these days; Sam the girlfriend insulter ain't no celebrity.

I expect to see him on "I'm a celebrity" any time then.

• Funny 5

7 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

You start with a black jinty and carefully cut up the sides and boiler bands and stick them on, but you're still left with a black and green jinty, so somehow you have to match the green labels to a paint. Much too much effort for probably a  very poor result.

If you really wanted a green jinty (why would you?) it would be a lot easier and far more successful to paint it green and add some methfix transfers to it. This sticky paper label idea is carp.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4