Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I appreciate the meaning within context, but just to lower the tone....

If that's the case, then a trip to A&E might be needed!

Sorry, its been getting at me all evening....

There's always one, isn't there.  In the words of Bob Griffiths, my old headmaster, 'you've let the school down, you've let me down, but, most of all, you've let yourself down', accomanied by that look of sad resignation and dissappointment that he was particularly good at...

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There's always one, isn't there.  In the words of Bob Griffiths, my old headmaster, 'you've let the school down, you've let me down, but, most of all, you've let yourself down', accomanied by that look of sad resignation and dissappointment that he was particularly good at...

I suspect they were tought that phrase at Headmaster school? Along with: 'Uniforms make you feel that you belong!'

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I suspect they were tought that phrase at Headmaster school? Along with: 'Uniforms make you feel that you belong!'

Another one of Bob's was 'you'll never get anywhere with that attitude, Richards'.  And he was right, I never did!

Best Bob quote of all time was from announcements just after assembly.  He stood up, coughed a bit for silence, and spake thus 'Yesterday afternoon, I was approached by a sixth form girl'.  That was as far as he got, the hall exploded into cheers, thumbs ups, whistles, and applause, while several of the staff on the stage got up and shook his hand.  It was the best faceplant I've ever seen.  We never knew what the announcement or complaint was.

The girl's school was next door and separated by locked doors and staggered break times. but there were things you could join that were joint between the schools.  These were the choir and orchestra, and a sixth form debating society called 61 Club.  That was 7 to 9 on a Friday evening, and we all went (largely illegally) over the pub after it, which was where the weekends were sorted out.

The girls' headmistress was Doris, and she was almost a caricature old school headmistress, with her 'gels', rimless bifocals on a chain, and tweeds.  Her crowning moment was lecturing them after assembly one morning about the perils of immorality; 'you must consider, gels, whether an hour of pleasure is worth a lifetime of shame', at which point Susan Maunders piped up at the back 'please, miss, how do you make it last an hour?'.

'Gels' and tweeds aside, when Mary Dodge didn't in the fifth form, and became pregnant, big deal in those days, this was still the 60s and not 'that London', she was unexpectedly an absolute rock of support and sensible advice, completely accepting and supporting Mary's rather brave decision that she was going to keep the baby and bring it up, totally unjudgmental, and very practical about arranging for Mary to take her O levels despite her 'confinement' as they used to call it.  Of course, she'd seen it all before, Mary wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last, middle class nice girl Grammar School culture or no!  I had the utmost respect for Doris after that.

This was leadership, and Mary got no hassle from anyone in either school as a result of it.  We all sort of collectively thought of it as the school's baby, and all got our mothers knitting for it...

'Richards, what are you doing, boy'?  'Masticating my cob, sir'!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

No doubt along with "This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you"...

Oh well, everyone has to have their own particular métier!

The ones to watch are those that take the ball and run with it, as it were...

Edited by Hroth
spelin, ect
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You know that one then!

I was all ears at Sunday School!

Oh, let me see Thy footmarks,
  And in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow Julie
  Is in Thy strength alone.
Oh, guide me, call me, draw me,
  Uphold me to the end;
And then to rest receive me,
  My Savior and my Friend

I always wondered who Julie was! - Many years later I discovered she'd been working for the Drug Squad!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Verily!

Moses rode a Triumph, I believe??

With a broken exhaust, apparently.

Living in South Wales, I had a Honda.  So I could wander over yonder through the Rhondda on my Honda...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I was all ears at Sunday School!

Oh, let me see Thy footmarks,
  And in them plant mine own;
My hope to follow Julie
  Is in Thy strength alone.
Oh, guide me, call me, draw me,
  Uphold me to the end;
And then to rest receive me,
  My Savior and my Friend

I always wondered who Julie was! - Many years later I discovered she'd been working for the Drug Squad!

Didn't she have an operation?

I used to get confused with the children's xmas carol, Away in a Manger.  There's a line about blessing all the dear children in some place called Thytend Ercer, and while I had no objection to blessing those children and presumed they were in some sort of bother that needed blessing to help them out of,  I had no idea where this was, somewhere in Africa presumably, kids always seemed to be in bother over there.

Then there was the joy of 'Aaarvuss Fessivul' in school assembly with a Cardiff accent:-

'We plowza feels an' scaaaa'ers

er good seed on der lan'

Burrirrizz fed an' worr'orr'rrud

by godz almigh'y 'aaand...

You could get a whole school's staff faceplanting in horror on the stage...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Why is it impossible to put a loco on the track, before you take photos?

Probably because he describes it as a 3 rail loco in the Item Specifics section and he couldn't find the third rail.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Didn't she have an operation?

I used to get confused with the children's xmas carol, Away in a Manger.  There's a line about blessing all the dear children in some place called Thytend Ercer, and while I had no objection to blessing those children and presumed they were in some sort of bother that needed blessing to help them out of,  I had no idea where this was, somewhere in Africa presumably, kids always seemed to be in bother over there.

Then there was the joy of 'Aaarvuss Fessivul' in school assembly with a Cardiff accent:-

'We plowza feels an' scaaaa'ers

er good seed on der lan'

Burrirrizz fed an' worr'orr'rrud

by godz almigh'y 'aaand...

You could get a whole school's staff faceplanting in horror on the stage...

"We three kings of Orient are;
bearing gifts we traverse afar,
field and fountain, moor and mountain,
following yonder star."

For a while I believed them to be travelling football fans!

• Funny 3

This listing has been around for while and has just been relisted for around the fourth time.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145215105576?hash=item21cf7eaa28:g:j5sAAOSwfBNkqUd1

The listing has five images, four of which are of a Basset Lowke Duke of York, the fifth one is of a Hornby 0-4-0 tank. So naturally the incorrect one was chosen as the thumbnail. The images show what is clearly a clockwork loco, and it is even described as that in the description, but the seller has been careful to describe it in the "Item specifics" as "Type - Electric Locomotive". Perhaps Transformers have come to tinplate railways.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"We three kings of Orient are;
bearing gifts we traverse afar,
field and fountain, moor and mountain,
following yonder star."

For a while I believed them to be travelling football fans!

We three kings of Orient are;

one in a taxi and one in a car,

one on a scooter tooting his hooter,

off to the public bar.

The version I learnt at primary school in the early ‘70s.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

We three kings of Orient are;

one in a taxi and one in a car,

one on a scooter tooting his hooter,

off to the public bar.

The version I learnt at primary school in the early ‘70s.

Cheers

Darius

An earlier Liverpudlian version was;

We four Beatles of Liverpool are.

Paul in a taxi

John in a car

George on a scooter, blowing his hooter

Following Ringo Starr

To be honest, the occupants of the vehicles were often swapped about...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1