Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

If you watch some of the daytime and evening programs, the amounts being sought for what I believe are not very good, even overpriced tat is eye watering !! and people even buy it.

My daughter sells the odd art work made from used wine bottle corks, I can't believe they sell for so much!! 

Has she considered scrapyard-themed corks - avec rust effects and clumps of long static 'grass'??

• Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 4

A quick heads-up to the Triang Hornby collectors on here that one of the holy grails has popped up on eBay - The Stroudley 0-4-0 Terrier! From memory this had a production run of half a day when one of the Margate painters came back from the pub drunk. Probably best to get a bid in now before someone pays the BIN price of 350 pounds

Mr. 99p!

• Funny 8

2 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Repainting something (badly) doesn't make it 'rare' or add value....

There's thousands of people out there who don't seem to realise that!

Although it has eventually provided me with some very cheap motorcycle restoration projects when the owners finally realise that they've significantly devalued them. 

• Like 5

Have to admit I'm quite tempted by the fruit machine innards that he's listed as being convertible to a lamp, but I think I'll will wait for a lamp that's convertible to a fruit machine....

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

It was probably "ok" when rtr Terriers weren't available, and you didn't mind a missing pair of driving wheels, etc.

Here's a possible base loco.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363561671787

And at £44.50 inc postage, thats a bit steep too!

Most I ever spent on a Triang 0-4-0 was £20 on a boxed Nellie in 2020!

Least I spent was a tenner on the 25550 0-4-0 (or is it 25555? The red Nellie, painted to match the Lord Westwood 4-6-0) last year!

Some of the prices I’ve seen are ridiculous, I swear I saw the red 0-4-0 “Polly” going for fifty, and the yellow “Connie” for well over a hundred… The latter being sold by Gostude too if I recall correctly!

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Have to admit I'm quite tempted by the fruit machine innards that he's listed as being convertible to a lamp, but I think I'll will wait for a lamp that's convertible to a fruit machine....

That'll be a lamp converted to dispense fruit?

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Most I ever spent on a Triang 0-4-0 was £20 on a boxed Nellie in 2020!

Least I spent was a tenner on the 25550 0-4-0 (the red Nellie, painted to match the Lord Westwood 4-6-0) last year!

Some of the prices I’ve seen are ridiculous, I swear I saw the red 0-4-0 “Polly” going for fifty, and the yellow “Connie” for well over a hundred… The latter being sold by Gostude too if I recall correctly!

Picked up one for £10 at the last toyfair I attended, body repainted  dipped in black gloss paint. Only needed for chassis.

Seller usually has a box of 0-4-0 /0-6-0's all under £20.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

56 minutes ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

Picked up one for £10 at the last toyfair I attended, body repainted  dipped in black gloss paint. Only needed for chassis.

Seller usually has a box of 0-4-0 /0-6-0's all under £20.

I paid something like £12 for the SDJR liveried version, the very last of the line with "improved" chassis, which was the bit I wanted.

It was missing a coupling and the chimney, but the body was snapped up on eBay for a couple of quid, so nothing much wasted.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2024 at 20:15, Sjcm said:

The guy is obviously deranged. He wants nearly a grand for an electric toothbrush😳

Yes and why does a tooth brush have Bluetooth fitted... or is that something to discuss with my dentist

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

22 hours ago, Sjcm said:

A quick heads-up to the Triang Hornby collectors on here that one of the holy grails has popped up on eBay - The Stroudley 0-4-0 Terrier! From memory this had a production run of half a day when one of the Margate painters came back from the pub drunk. Probably best to get a bid in now before someone pays the BIN price of 350 pounds

Mr. 99p!

Hate to say it, but I quite like that!

I'd happily pay the postage price (£9.99!) for it...

Although, as noted above (good examples of) the Tri-ang 0-4-0s have gone up in price lately.

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, Tofufi said:

Although, as noted above (good examples of) the Tri-ang 0-4-0s have gone up in price lately.

All depends on where you look really, twenty quid should be the maximum buying price for the more common ones, and I’ve seen some of the bodgy repaints go for a fiver, tenner tops. It also comes down to the finish on certain models, I recall hearing at a show (I think the Craven Arms club’s June show in 2022) that matte finish Triang models are harder to find due to being produced in smaller quantities? Or was it gloss? It was one of those two, most of my collection is matte with a few glossy though, so I assume it’s the latter, either way, the finish of the model definitely is a factor on the price.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Tofufi said:

I'd happily pay the postage price (£9.99!) for it...

I've certainly seen worse Neverwassa's and probably worth a tenner for novelty value. It was more the seller trying to pass it off as some sort of Triang rarity in the blurb with a price to match. Thing is I get the feeling someone will buy it - there was 5 people watching before I posted it on here😂

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

I've certainly seen worse Neverwassa's and probably worth a tenner for novelty value. It was more the seller trying to pass it off as some sort of Triang variety in the blurb with a price to match. Thing is I get the feeling someone will buy it - there was 5 people watching before I posted it on here😂

The asking price is definitely something else...!

• Agree 3

D&S kits usually command high prices (more than I am willing to pay, anyway), but asking for more than twice the price for a D&S kit that is still available through LRM ( and is listed as ex-D&S ) shows that the seller is confident that there are enough "collectors" out there to pay over twice the cost for a new kit. He also claims to have 5 for sale,  as well as multiples of some other D&S kits, so must have found a modellers hoard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256425987038?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=072ae36f25e043f1919726568f70404e&bu=43007734306&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20240227012645&segname=11021

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tofufi said:

I tend to agree. It is certainly attractive, from a distance, and if I had seen this for sale for a tenner at a swapmeet I may have been tempted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I've certainly seen worse Neverwassa's and probably worth a tenner for novelty value. It was more the seller trying to pass it off as some sort of Triang rarity in the blurb with a price to match. Thing is I get the feeling someone will buy it - there was 5 people watching before I posted it on here😂

How many of the 'watchers' are us?? 😎

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

How many of the 'watchers' are us?? 😎

Depends if anyone on here clocked it before I posted the link. One of the 5 was me, another one is probably Gostude seething at someone out-chiseling him, so that leaves 3. Think it has more than 8 watchers now, so that's probably our lot.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Twelve watchers apparently as of 14:27 today, one of those being me, just for the hell of it. 

Are we giving false hope of a ridiculous profit for the poor seller?

Good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3