EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Yes, one of the GBL series (couldn't remember that when I posted). Its still a ripoff copy, and £35 is a bit steep.

Note that the vendor has posed it on a piece of Super 4 track!

Didn’t they also do the same with the Triang Britannia too? Could’ve sworn I’ve seen one of those before…

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Ah but is it a flower class warship?

Not unless Tashkent is some kind of flower in Russian. (Its a Tashkent class Russian destroyer of which there was only 1).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

I'm impressed, probably for all the wrong reasons!

BTW, what the hell is a POA box?

POA = Price on Application?  Maybe you have to pay a lot extra for the box?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

POA = Price on Application?  Maybe you have to pay a lot extra for the box?

POA is the TOPS code of the wagon involved (“box” mineral open).

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what desirable item is being “bigged-up” here? The description is so over-the-top I can’t believe the seller had a straight face when typing it….

“This ********** is a must-have for any collector of model railways and trains. Made from high-quality plastic and steel, this vintage ********** is in excellent condition and perfect for adding to your collection. With a two-rail system and analogue control system, this ********** is a great addition to any railway-themed display. The ********** adds a touch of authenticity and nostalgia to this already impressive piece. Made in the United Kingdom and featuring a scale of 1:148, this ********** is sure to impress any admirer of transportation-themed collectables.”

Here’s the link if you simply must have it….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145628904816

Easy, tiger.

• Funny 5

23 minutes ago, ted633 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186318339367?

Bit of an odd one, why* include some photos with other (not for sale) units in the picture? Especially when they are more prominent than the actual item being sold!

* Apart from possibly "look what I have"!

Perhaps fishing for offers on the other items on view?

Or promoting his other items for sale?

The pictures for all of which are dismal and inspire zero bidder confidence, such as this lot - pro weathered?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186318347896?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Yes in this  day and age there’s not really any excuse for taking naff pictures.

I've sold a few things on eBay recently - I find the app overly helpful. Often suggesting postage options I then have to edit out .

One thing I had to watch - I only sell stuff on the 80% off variable fees weekend. It auto relists ( another thing I  didn’t ask for)

If it then sells on relist it’s not covered by the 80%. Argued that one . And becuase , apparently , I’m a “ loyal customer “ I got £9 back .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Yes in this  day and age there’s not really any excuse for taking naff pictures.

I've sold a few things on eBay recently - I find the app overly helpful. Often suggesting postage options I then have to edit out .

One thing I had to watch - I only sell stuff on the 80% off variable fees weekend. It auto relists ( another thing I  didn’t ask for)

If it then sells on relist it’s not covered by the 80%. Argued that one . And becuase , apparently , I’m a “ loyal customer “ I got £9 back .

You should be able to deselect the auto relist option, then if it doesn't sell then when the next 80% off weekend comes around find the item in "unsold" select "sell a similar item" and just list with displayed fees. I do that now with all of our OO Heaven items, so we have one weekend of listing stuff, the next weekend of packing and posting, and the next weekend listing again and you only pay 80% on everything. Assuming of course you get the 80% off offer every other weekend as we do. You can also create a listing then save for later and go live with it when the offer comes in.

Edited by PMW
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Bad photography is very largely down to a faulty shutter operating device mechanism, in the same way as bad driving is usually the fault of the nut holding the steering wheel.  My recommendations for taking photos of items for sale on eBay or other descriptive purposes are as follows:-

BASIC STUFF

1) Switch off the flash on your phone or camera, it's rubbish.  Train yourself to only use flash as fill lighting in outdoor silhouette shots, otherwise it ruins images and interferes with exposures.

2) When the flash has been switched off, let the phone or camera auto settings take the photo for you in whatever ambient light is available; a lit room is fine, daylight through a window is better, and outdoors is best.

3) If there is low light, either obtain better conditions or use a tripod to compensate for the slow shutter speed.

4) The background is as important as the subject.  Use plain pastel shaded neutral matt material, not bright not dark.  Use a significantly different colour to the main colour of the item.

5) Consider the framing of the image; get it all in.  You can crop afterwards if you feel the need.  If you can't get the camera level and upright, leave a larger border around the subject to allow for post-edit straightening.

6) Avoid shooting direcly into the light or with it directly behind you, which will result in a silhouette or a flat image respectively.  Some 'side' to the light will bring out the relief and shadow in the model.

CLEVER STUFF

1) Try to persuade the phone or camera to use a fast shutter speed.  There may be several ways to do this depending on the equipment; manual settings, or if these are not available simply the best light you can manage.  Better if the light is diffused rather than emanating from a single point, better flood than spot.

2) Try to pursuade the phone or camera to use the smallest apeture possible.  This will increase the Depth of Field/Depth of Focus, the distance from the lens that the image will be in focus.  Use this technique in a 3/4 front shot to ensure that both ends of the model are in focus.

3) The first two requirements are mutually exclusive to some extent because both fast shutter speeds and small apetures restrict the amount of light allowed to reach the sensor.  You can counter this if the facility is available by increasing the ISO rating, the speed with which the sensor absorbs light, but the higher the ISO, the grainier the image will be and fine detail will suffer.  High ISO also allows increased 'noise', the coloured moire that will appear in such images.

4) Once you have got the hang of DOF, use it to restrict the area of the image that is in focus to the subject and no more, so that the foreground and background are blurred and out of focus.  This technique is used in portraiture to focus a viewer's attention on the subject's face or body.  Using zoom may help with this.

5) If you are using zoom, use a tripod, or steady the phone/camera in some way, suchu as a phone stand or a camera sitting on a cushion or towel.  Use the timer or a remote shutter to avoid moving the camera releasing the shutter by hand.

OVERALL

GOOD THINGS; strong diffused light with a neutral cast, low ISO rating, high shutter speed, high number apeture setting, camera held steady by tripod, good handholding technique, cushion/towel &c.  Clean lens, bland background (preferably out of focus), good framing.

BAD THINGS; weak direct undiffused light with an overwarm or overcold cast, high ISO,

low shutter speed, low number apeture setting, camera shake, light directly in front of camera, light directly behind camera, overbusy/colourful in focus background, poor framing, poor handling, dirty or scratched lens.

I suspect that some of the more mendacious of our chisellers are fully aware of the above and manipulate the techniques to take deliberately poor images which will help to hide faults in the models.  For example one often finds photos of rolling stock on eBay where the angle of the exposure cleverly hides the fact that a buffer is missing, the empty space hidden behind the coupling; happens too often for it to always be coincidental.  Don't buy from such people, they are lying to you and cannot be trusted.  My view of underexposed, badly focussed, and badly cropped images, and those with overbusy in focus backgrounds (and you won't have to look far to find these on the Bay), is that some of them are genuinely poor photography by genuinely poor photographers, but given the automation available in even the most basic cameras and phones these days, a lot of it has to be wilful mendacity with a sharp metal object with a wooden handle at one end; vote with your feet and don't let the 'stards have your money!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/02/2024 at 09:13, The Pilotman said:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what desirable item is being “bigged-up” here? The description is so over-the-top I can’t believe the seller had a straight face when typing it….

“This ********** is a must-have for any collector of model railways and trains. Made from high-quality plastic and steel, this vintage ********** is in excellent condition and perfect for adding to your collection. With a two-rail system and analogue control system, this ********** is a great addition to any railway-themed display. The ********** adds a touch of authenticity and nostalgia to this already impressive piece. Made in the United Kingdom and featuring a scale of 1:148, this ********** is sure to impress any admirer of transportation-themed collectables.”

Here’s the link if you simply must have it….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145628904816?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D260884%26meid%3D57ebea1cc5674f2cad6fd7949eb3ffd6%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D204668822214%26itm%3D145628904816%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4429486%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuWithLambda85KnnRecallV1V2V4ItemNrtInQueryAndCassiniVisualRankerAndBertRecallWithVMEV3CPCAutoWithCassiniEmbRecall%26brand%3DGraham%2BFarish&_trksid=p4429486.c101195.m1851&itmprp=cksum%3A14562890481657ebea1cc5674f2cad6fd7949eb3ffd6|enc%3AAQAIAAABcHD%2FO%2BVoFoPPIoZ2g0kOZxWd85mWuIHekSp3qag7zFfwObZeQoitzE%2FDCfcejfO%2BzOLmzZmy11RrgWpA56KM9DpasK%2BGtGYwCFvgaK6ijP5AqShEUhT8f2oX6hvndJ3G0oWH8DD1DlBWseQltpxcSDW2Uu52NrseaxeINpsrDP6vx7ny%2BkPKauMa3yeSanWiitEPaKZTUw4lnmgpkrdGoVWQu02%2FX9%2Fq9m9AyoC%2BGGyULhhvy6yCONjYgJ%2B3DnRGYkY47OAMZz6WgMdrIa%2Bg4LR%2BgexSDOpgB%2FEILFggU9WhoF52H%2FeVyGjV2X5zMXYKHTN1ab%2BkPkpCw2KvlHehRzmeTHhUxdxVljSMAPzxeMY8D9R99Y8pkbOe3SbWqfejDM%2FwkwE8O76DcQ9QAp6ZlDIksgJH69FjT61DF9ey9a966z3mDhu7EoQZfrzVrr7KE%2B2zUqfdz6XsENvMsfJ6C1IFEKCe%2F11%2Fhm7NZfhQ9RNL|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A4429486&epid=21012049151&itmmeta=01HQQBZ4DX6PXAG6DA7MVV0DHQ

I believe that is the dictionary definition of fulsome!

Mike.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I believe that is the dictionary definition of fulsome!

Mike.

Which?

The AI generated item description or the over-long link?

(hint to The Pilotman.  You can delete everything in the link following the ? on the first line if possible. It makes things a lot more tidy.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I hate the trend of piling lots of stuff in a heap so you can't possibly see what isn't complete/broken. Vintagehoneypots is a serial offender on this who even if he's not photographing huge landfill mounds from one angle, often takes one overall picture of the items, then 3 perfect pictures of some 2 pound wagon and ignores the more valuable stuff. Got to be deliberate, and seems to work judging by the price his stuff goes for.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of relisting and ebay madness, I have noticed quite a few unsold items being relisted with a higher price!  

If an item is unsold and you want to sell, wouldn't you reduce the price? 

I also assume listing fees apply if the item is unsold?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, sjp23480 said:

For private selllers there is no listing fee payable if the item doesn't sell.

Twice recently I just missed on bidding on items which went unsold and were relisted.  In both cases I then placed a bid which was higher than the unsold price, yet in both cases I ended up being outbid as the items sold for substantially more on their second listing.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Speaking of relisting and ebay madness, I have noticed quite a few unsold items being relisted with a higher price!  

I never "relist" items for the reason discussed earlier, but all my stock is first listed on a 7 day auction with a starting price midway between what it owes me and what I think it's worth. I often include a buy it now for a few quid more than I think it's worth in case anyone is keen to buy straight off. If it goes unsold after that first auction then I will list it again with a slightly lower start price but similar BIN. If still unsold then it will go to a fixed price listing at what I valued it at, so a higher price than the auction starting prices. The logic behind this is that I am willing to take a lower profit margin to turn stock over faster but if it is going to hang around and keep my capital tied up for a longer period then it needs to realise full price. I find that eventually the right buyer comes along as long as you list it well, present it well, it's decent stock and you price it appropriately.

All that said, some of the tat that I have seen listed on this page which people are watching or even bidding on can be a bit soul destroying.

As a light hearted aside I have got a small wager with the "missus" as to whether our items will appear on this "ebay madness" page or the "good buy from ebay" page first!

• Funny 2

The irritation is all the stuff I have to un tick .

Suddenly find myself offering evri next day delivery to Outer Mongolia for £2.99 , accepting offers above 10p

I accidentally left offers on a couple of things , within an hour of listing I get offers about a quid over the starting price - why would I accept that ? 7 days is 7 days 

• Agree 2

I had to look twice. I thought it was something my dog had left on the carpet

And by the way - if that sells for £10 I am seriously going to torch my stock of boxed mint Hornby LMS coaches which I can't get a sniff on and sell them as "crash and destruction". I could then maybe sell the empty boxes for £15 each - another ebay trend I can't get my head around - people selling empty boxes for more than other sellers are offering the actual item boxed!

Edited by PMW
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Perhaps the most disturbing part of that listing is that the seller states that it's "Number one in an ongoing project".

Number one? I'm of the same impression as @PMW, it looks more like a Number Two...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 5