Tucking Mill

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Didn’t do much this evening other than fix the motor in the tender, secure the gearbox in the loco then put it back together to make sure everything still fitted - which thankfully it did. More details later.
Took a quick snap, popped a couple of logs on the fire, poured a beer and watched the football. I suspect tomorrow evening will follow a similar pattern!

Jerry

0707F749-4EE3-4718-93B4-2499804AF007.jpeg.9ee05b543398b9523bb5452ec6ed4174.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Thanks again for taking the trouble to show all that Jerry. What a very nice, simple, and clever design.  As you have said previously  ‘I’ll pinch that’ if I may. 

Bob

You're welcome Bob. You won’t be surprised to hear I pinched it from John Greenwood!

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

Lovely stuff Jerry. I have found myself volunteering to build another 2mm loco for Yeovil so I am looking around at what you good folk get up to and chatting with others to get my head around various ideas. After making 8 or 9 driveshafts for the Dean Goods, I think I will try that way for the next one. I lost at least two or three that fell out never to be found and eventually created a way to fix one end but it wasn't as neat as that.

Clever chap that John Greenwood and many thanks to you for sharing his method with us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, and my thanks to you too, Tony, as ever!

Jerry - I think you’ll get some fly-wheel effect from the mass of those drive shaft mountings as well. You could try and design the drive chain and the set of the motor in the tender to max the size of them and thus the benefit of this effect - the old-fashioned mechanical stay-alive for us DC sauropods. No question the small flywheel in my old M7 gives a real advantage. 
Laurie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Lovely stuff Jerry. I have found myself volunteering to build another 2mm loco for Yeovil so I am looking around at what you good folk get up to and chatting with others to get my head around various ideas. After making 8 or 9 driveshafts for the Dean Goods, I think I will try that way for the next one. I lost at least two or three that fell out never to be found and eventually created a way to fix one end but it wasn't as neat as that.

Clever chap that John Greenwood and many thanks to you for sharing his method with us.

2 hours ago, Laurie2mil said:

Agreed, and my thanks to you too, Tony, as ever!

Jerry - I think you’ll get some fly-wheel effect from the mass of those drive shaft mountings as well. You could try and design the drive chain and the set of the motor in the tender to max the size of them and thus the benefit of this effect - the old-fashioned mechanical stay-alive for us DC sauropods. No question the small flywheel in my old M7 gives a real advantage. 
Laurie

Many thanks gents. I’ve tried to explain to John Greenwood many times that his genius is in his ability to find simple solutions - any fool (me included!) can come up with a complex solution!😊

Laurie, you’re correct in that the mass of the drive shaft mounting will have some benefit but how much I’m not sure. I’m toying with the idea of turning the sleeve from bigger bar rather than a piece of tube to effectively give a flywheel. Id be interested to see if it has any noticeable effect though I suspect the fact we are no longer forced to use the likes of Fleichmann 3pole motors is a much greater benefit.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Making an integral flywheel and UJ is pretty straightforward for a tender drive, which is where it should be. I’ll be making one soon for the Skittle Alley.  Flywheels are even more beneficial for coreless motors. You have the technology, Jerry…

Tim

P.S. Remember not to take it out of the chuck until the last stage (parting off) to maintain concentricity. 

Edited by CF MRC
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, queensquare said:

I won’t be going down the workshop today to finish the last few bits on Nancy. Think I will fire up the wood burner and contemplate the next project!

Jerry

2D2AC0C8-F322-4685-9ED6-76F46C02791C.jpeg.07bc3a30b9b951889cdee1835443c002.jpeg

Huh!  That's just a dust.  This was our back yesterday morning and we had another inch overnight.

DSC_1871.JPG.ad0c87b3a40bf5cffb20f09cca6c8773.JPG

I passed on going to the F&CAG meeting in Livingston as our street wasn't too clever and I didn't fancy the A70 'Lang Whang' which is pretty exposed and remote in parts.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Huh!  That's just a dust.  This was our back yesterday morning and we had another inch overnight.

DSC_1871.JPG.ad0c87b3a40bf5cffb20f09cca6c8773.JPG

I passed on going to the F&CAG meeting in Livingston as our street wasn't too clever and I didn't fancy the A70 'Lang Whang' which is pretty exposed and remote in parts.

Jim

…. but we’re in the sunny south Jim🌞😊

Jerry

• Funny 1

When we had the very cold spell about ten or twelve years ago there were a lot of problems with the telephone lines in the Lanark area and they had brought some engineers up from London to help.  One came in to us one day complaining that his van was showing -6° outside.  I told him that was nothing, try the -15° my car had registered in the middle of the day a week or two earlier!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

12 hours ago, nick_bastable said:

Fibber unless your a Newcastle supporter

Not exclusively. Slightly further south here in Sunderland, I noticed my mum’s neighbour adjusting his outside Christmas tree lights dressed in a tee shirt and pyjama bottoms yesterday. My car was registering -4C at the time. 

And apologies for encouraging the thread drift, Jerry. I'll confess that I'm mesmerised by the productivity of yourself, Dr Nick, Kevin, etc. (well, most other members to be honest) in comparison to my sloth-like lack of it. Perhaps less time on the forum and more time at the (now uncomfortably cold) bench would help. I no longer even have the excuse of full-time employment to hold me back so really need to get my finger out.

Edited by chrisveitch
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

While living in Shropshire temperatures there dropped to -25 on a couple of occasions Bramar in Scotland has recorded lower,  This is the lowest ever recorded in England so dont  you Geordies or Cumbrians think your the only ones to face the cold. Shropshire is cold because it is further from the sea than most places. 

In truth it is a matter of what you are used to and Jerry is right not to want to do fiddly work in a cold shed. This is a hobby not an endurance trial.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just back from going to Braehead, on the West Side of Glasgow. - 9 when I left here at 15:30, c-1 or -2 going through Glasgow on the motorway, -3 when I left there and -13 when I got home!

Jim 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It’s a rare bright sunny morning so I resolved to get the airbrush out. Nancy is now in official NSLR livery! The black etc will be brush painted, the green strip is transfer film sprayed body colour for boiler bands.

The much abused balsa block is black as I took advantage of the good weather and sprayed wheels for a pair of Black 5s at the same time-  these won’t be seen on the NSLR!

Jerry

5E14AF87-B0BC-426C-B83B-D84025BD4E04.jpeg.8d32308d5bee56f8a2fa13e3cd305ae7.jpeg

• Like 16