Tucking Mill

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, queensquare said:

It’s a rare bright sunny morning so I resolved to get the airbrush out. Nancy is now in official NSLR livery! The black etc will be brush painted, the green strip is transfer film sprayed body colour for boiler bands.

The much abused balsa block is black as I took advantage of the good weather and sprayed wheels for a pair of Black 5s at the same time-  these won’t be seen on the NSLR!

Jerry

5E14AF87-B0BC-426C-B83B-D84025BD4E04.jpeg.8d32308d5bee56f8a2fa13e3cd305ae7.jpeg

I'm liking the balsa block method your using to support Nancy whilst spraying, I presume that there is a lump of blue tac or similar at the top of each straw, Jerry ?

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 03060 said:

I'm liking the balsa block method your using to support Nancy whilst spraying, I presume that there is a lump of blue tac or similar at the top of each straw, Jerry ?

Regards,

Ian.

Thanks Ian, the ‘straws’ are bits of brass tube with short lengths of studding  soldered in the top - I have several with 10, 12 and 14BA lengths in them which I screw into the body mounting points

Jerry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Nancy inched further toward completion this evening with the application of the black. I’m tempted to add some lining, probably just a single red line. In reality I doubt if the impoverished NSLR would have run to lining but it would look nice.

2D020A79-5562-4B5F-A51A-9F2307BC49CB.jpeg.567f844f1b26da0908eed1360f6e29e0.jpeg

I’ve also messed about with some lettering. These come from a set of 3mm Midland coach transfers where I have nicked individual letters - I think they will look the part.

FB669484-89C8-45C3-A02D-7D4747800661.jpeg.052fd0b6975c4f78c3ae5a4918bd58f2.jpeg

501113EF-FAC6-49D7-B6C6-4E4AD2006EA1.jpeg.a3ec69055985a6cfaebddd6daf9de67c.jpeg

Finally, I’ve prepped the name plates. Bob Jones did these for me and they are excellent - plenty of scope for more locos to join Nancy (mother in law) and the others.

Doreen, (my mum) will be another 0-6-0 - not sure what, Ted and Archie (grandsons), will be a pair of cheeky little tanks (or diesels!) and Foxcote will be another shunter for the colliery - not for some while though!

Jerry

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Kim was out for the evening so I’ve been down the shed fiddling with Nancy - queue the Carry On jokes!😆

Despite being both General manager and general dogs body of the NSLR I’ve decided against lining, I think it would be too busy and just not appropriate for a down at heel  light railway in the 1920s. I shall settle for  scrapeing back the paint on some of the pipe work and light weathering.

She has also become number 8 as one of the number 7s I cut out shot off into the ether never to be seen again!

I’m pleased with the tender lettering and the transfer boiler bands. Detail painting next.

I’ve attached a picture of my little stash of painting stalks - mainly because I like the little tin they live in!

Jerry

8494169D-E249-4F8A-9476-11D13D9591B5.jpeg.92c83c35f72850f457f5758cef74b918.jpeg

034E901D-8DD9-4EF9-9A06-7F82F79A5065.jpeg.6884620891ab307e70bec2f5eeb330de.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning Jerry, 

Well, I have to say Nancy is quite the little dollypop. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Lovely job Jerry. I was looking at the photos and thinking "That loco has something missing" and I eventually worked out that it has no steps at the front end for people to get up onto the footplate. The model isn't wrong as the prototype was just the same but it must have been a bit dodgy climbing up the cab steps and working your way along the thin running plate edge beside the cab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Lovely job Jerry. I was looking at the photos and thinking "That loco has something missing" and I eventually worked out that it has no steps at the front end for people to get up onto the footplate. The model isn't wrong as the prototype was just the same but it must have been a bit dodgy climbing up the cab steps and working your way along the thin running plate edge beside the cab.

Thanks Tony. It’s actually still missing a whistle. It was a very tall, skinny affair which I’ve so far failed twice turning - both have pinged off nearing completion never to be seen again. Third time lucky!

Jerry

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Nah. Nancy's running-plate edge is enormous and designed to be climbed along - hence the handrail along the cab side. The same is true of the tender, which has no steps at the rear either.

It certainly can be dodgy to climb round the cab side on some locos - I've done it many times when I probably shouldn't have!

However you climb on any steam loco, you have to accept that it is always dreaming up creative ways to damage you...

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Slightly going off topic, but I always use the 2mm scale ‘boot test’ for such calculations. Place a figure next to the ground texture and see if it would twist it’s ankle or trip up on it. It is especially useful for textures on e.g. roads. So many layouts are spoiled by using ‘grit’ as a texture in goods yards. In scale terms there virtually isn’t a texture and just plain emulsion paint with pumice filler is all that is needed. 

Tim

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Slightly going off topic, but I always use the 2mm scale ‘boot test’ for such calculations. Place a figure next to the ground texture and see if it would twist it’s ankle or trip up on it. It is especially useful for textures on e.g. roads. So many layouts are spoiled by using ‘grit’ as a texture in goods yards. In scale terms there virtually isn’t a texture and just plain emulsion paint with pumice filler is all that is needed. 

Tim

I agree Tim the problem is us we know there is texture there so we expect to see it. One of the things that I find odd is the mortar course in buildings at the sort of distance you look at a model it would hardly show.  0.5mm is 3inch  and a brick would only be 0.7mm deep in our scale. Even using a bucket handle to point up half an inch would be excessive  so less than 0.1mm and most pointing is nearly flush.

Another cracking job Jerry. Someone on another thread was being dismissive of split axles I suggested a look at the 2mm threads. I think looking at this build should set them right.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• 3 months later...

Its amazing how you manage to do it Jerry also the time frame in making models and writing articles for the magazine. l look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day when you exibit it arouind our way. Regards Ray.Keep up the good Work. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Trewisin said:

Its amazing how you manage to do it Jerry also the time frame in making models and writing articles for the magazine. l look forward to seeing it in the flesh one day when you exibit it arouind our way. Regards Ray.Keep up the good Work. 

The truth is Ray I don’t- I’m forever running behind. Still, rather that than kicking my heals looking for something to do! 

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...