Norfolk Southern Heritage Locomotives

Pete Piszczek

No doubt some of them work better in "real life", Craig.

New York State have an advert on local TV saying they built the first railroad in North America - no wonder New Jerseyites get up in arms!

Having watched American railroad models for way too long with varying degrees of interest (since the late sixties) it has always seemed that Pennsy and NYC had the lion's share of models (though not so much lately) that's why it was a surprise.

Best, Pete.

Results of the poll - thanks to the 44 who voted :)

NS1065 - Savannah & Atlanta (6 votes [5.71%])

NS1066 - New York Central (2 votes [1.90%])

NS1067 - Reading (6 votes [5.71%])

NS1068 - Erie (2 votes [1.90%])

NS1069 - Virginian (4 votes [3.81%])

NS1070 - Wabash (7 votes [6.67%])

NS1071 - Jersey Central (8 votes [7.62%])

NS1072 - Illinois Terminal (11 votes [10.48%]) = 2ND PLACE

NS1073 - Penn Central (3 votes [2.86%])

NS1074 - Lackawanna (6 votes [5.71%])

NS8025 - Monongahela (1 votes [0.95%])

NS8098 - Conrail (2 votes [1.90%])

NS8099 - Southern (16 votes [15.24%]) = 1ST PLACE

NS8100 - Nickel Plate (3 votes [2.86%])

NS8101 - Central of Georgia (6 votes [5.71%])

NS8102 - Pennsylvania (2 votes [1.90%])

NS8103 - Norfolk & Western (3 votes [2.86%])

NS8104 - Lehigh Valley (5 votes [4.76%])

NS8105 - Interstate (10 votes [9.52%]) = 3RD PLACE

NS8114 - Norfolk Southern (2 votes [1.90%])

Deserved winners! Interstate was a surprise (to many?) - I think its appeal is that it looks like a classy very modern livery. Personally I'm pleased to see the Jersey Central Royal Blue/Tangerine so popular! I only voted once too..... It's loud and larey.

Many thanks for taking the time to do this, Martyn!

Best, Pete.

From comments on the Illinirail list they are starting to wander nicely as well, countering my earlier worry that they would all end up stuck in the mountains on Eastern coal service - the Reading and Lehigh Valley units have just been to Dilworth MN on BNSF, the LV worked back to NS directly, the RDG then seems to have gone down BNSF's river line to Kansas City to connect back to NS as seen here (link doesn't work embedded - please click) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSGL-Yc02gA

Earlier both had been WAY out west - seen here in Colorado headed for Montana!

http://youtu.be/uRw_BkgDZhM

The Lehigh Valley engine came thru here yesterday as the trailing engine in a set of three on a grain train. A friend works for NS...just got a text that he's got the engine in the yard at Selma NC and is using it as the switcher!

And I managed to get the LV on the return trip...it's on the point of train 847, an empty coal train returning from the Progress Energy power plant at Goldsboro, NC. It's heading back up to Roanoke or Williamson, VA. Here's it's tied down in the siding at Clayton, North Carolina. One crew (with my friend the engineer/driver) went on duty around 11 am today, took the engines light from Selma NC to the power plant and brought the train back to Clayton, arriving at 3:15 pm. Another crew is called for around midnight and will take the train a good bit of the way to Roanoke. No, I don't understand the work rules either!

post-751-0-87095600-1343782863_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to pickup today the special edition of Trains magazine covering these locos, I've only had a quick flick through yet but it looks like £3.60 well spent.

Stewart

Was that the one with the photo of them outside a roundhouse on the front cover? It looked very impressive, but I have spent my mag. money this week

Ed.

Ed

I hope I'm not contravening any copyright here, but we seem to see magazine covers quite regularly; if I am I apologise.

I bought it in my local newsagents in Chatteris (Cambs), a small shop with a far bigger selection of railway mags than any other shop I've seen with the exception of Ian Allan!

post-2049-0-88372600-1345663728_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Stewart, Just a link would be safer, please. Unless you've asked them in writing and they have agreed, of course.

Pete, you are quite safe under copyright law as you are allowed to show a picture and an extract of text for review purposes. What you say in the review might be challenged if it misrepresented what was in it or wasn't true. I've done this with books and even been contacted by the author to say thanks for an honest, and obviously positive, review.

Super edition of Trains and a nice story behind it, I like that UP did a modern interpretation and NS chose the most faithful reproduction possible as it shows what if those lines had survived in a couple of ways. Personally I thought the Virginian and NYC looked stunning even though I am a Pennsy fan. I also seriously considered ordering some Rio Grande ones from the UP liveries to have a what if Rio Grande had survived model collection. Fortunately reality dawned when I saw the prices ;)

If you have a card you can order direct from the Kalmbach. It is one dollar more to the UK than the US mail order price. Geez, I wish the UK mags offered such deals coming this way...

http://trn.trains.com/

And the service is superb - usually arriving on or around release date and weeks before the UK shops. Mine arrived a while back but been so busy with new job and other non-railroad interests I have done no more than glance at it. Added to the growing pile of US mags waiting for when I get some free time.

I also seriously considered ordering some Rio Grande ones from the UP liveries to have a what if Rio Grande had survived model collection. Fortunately reality dawned when I saw the prices ;)

Yeah, i have had the same sensation with the NS Heritage Fleet, i love the look of the Wabash locomotive, and Wabash ran through Southern Ontario, while maybe someday when i build a full layout i could justify some Wabash F-units, the price certainly will be keeping me away from a snazzy modern interpretation of their units.

If you have a card you can order direct from the Kalmbach. It is one dollar more to the UK than the US mail order price. Geez, I wish the UK mags offered such deals coming this way...

I'd be happy if The Railway Mag finally got into the 21st century and had either a working phone number (for some reason every year i have to email and get an alternate number as the published one doesn't work from any phone i have access to) or a website where i could renew online!! I blame Canada Post for most of my problems with my UK mags, they get mangled by posties or take forever arriving. Normally i get mine well after the publication date, but usually a bit before they hit the bookstore shelves, and while the overseas subscription rate may be a lot higher than the UK rate, it's still a lot lower than the cover price at Chapters Bookstores!!

-Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Archived