Lost in the ebay-paypal mess

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

On 15th Nov I bought a buy-it-now Dapol SR CCT on ebay. With postage it was just under ??19. The seller had 10 in stock, and I duly noticed their continuing advert on ebay now quoted 9 in stock. Nothing has arrived. When I check on ebay, the item has now been removed, but of course they are unable to tell me why. Asking ebay what to do, they refer me to PayPal, saying I may be due for a refund. On going to PayPal, they deny the item exists - because it has been deleted by ebay. All the online help is automated, of course, and I can't get anywhere. Any ideas? I guess I should have been suspicious of anyone calling themselves "bancrupt stock" - if you can't spell bankrupt you are not to be taken seriously!

Hi

There should be a record on your paypal account of the transaction. You can report thereon of the dispute. Also you can find the transaction on My Ebay under items won. Unless you have deleted both/either ??

I have found paypal very good on refunds on "missing" goods in the past.

Good Luck

Mick

• RMweb Gold

On 15th Nov I bought a buy-it-now Dapol SR CCT on ebay. With postage it was just under ??19. The seller had 10 in stock, and I duly noticed their continuing advert on ebay now quoted 9 in stock. Nothing has arrived. When I check on ebay, the item has now been removed, but of course they are unable to tell me why. Asking ebay what to do, they refer me to PayPal, saying I may be due for a refund. On going to PayPal, they deny the item exists - because it has been deleted by ebay. All the online help is automated, of course, and I can't get anywhere. Any ideas? I guess I should have been suspicious of anyone calling themselves "bancrupt stock" - if you can't spell bankrupt you are not to be taken seriously!

When you went through the checkout procedure Ian,did you see the customers address.You may be able to follow it up through this,sometimes sellers also have their phone number detailed.Just a thought.

• RMweb Gold

Hi

There should be a record on your paypal account of the transaction. You can report thereon of the dispute. Also you can find the transaction on My Ebay under items won. Unless you have deleted both/either ??

I have found paypal very good on refunds on "missing" goods in the past.

Good Luck

Mick

Yes, PayPal says I've paid, enables me to refer back to the ebay item, where I'm told the item has been removed! "Probably because it is more than 60 days old" which of course it isn't! Clearly that is a different part of PayPal from the one where I try to register a complaint! The moment I enter the item number, it of course says it doesn't exist! Doh!

Hi

One way around this might be to go to the paypal transaction and report a problem from the actual transaction page. I don't think they ask for a transaction ID if you report it from within the actual paypal transaction page.

Paul

I suspect you've probably tried this already but here goes anyway.

From the PayPal My Account tab, click Resolution Centre. Click Dispute a Transaction. Select Item Dispute and continue. Then enter the transaction ID from your confirmation e-mail. With a bit of luck it'll still have record of the payment, and then allow you to open a dispute for an item not received.

If you've already tried this, or can't get through because of the transaction ID issue, you can contact PayPal by phone on 08707 307 191 or the Dublin Help Centre directly on 00353 1 436 90 (international calling rates apply).

• 4 months later...

You need to be careful with E.bay, the following is a cautionary tale.

I bought what was described as a Sayer-Chaplin Prarie, paying a total of £55.00. It arrived. It was not Sayer Chaplin so reasonably I asked for a refund. It was sent back 'signed for' and guess what, the seller claims he never received it. Apart from a claim against the Post Office which is very difficult to prove, there is no redress.

To answer the obvious question, the item is still shown as being in the P.O. system but no one can tell me where it is. It has been admitted albeit privately that many such parcels are left at the recipient's address without signature.

The moral is that never trust the sellers description, and if you return, make sure they refund you first!!!

• 2 weeks later...

32a - if you sent it back recorded signed for, and the seller says it hasn't arrived AND the tracking info shows no proof of delivery, then your claim is with Royal Mail. Unfortunately, the maximum compensation limit is £41 (you need special delivery to insure for a higher amount). Whilst the seller should ideally not mis-describe an item, it does really need to be returned.

Archived