Stuarts Lane NOW SOLD

shreives

Hello and welcome to my new layout, I have abandoned the last N gauge project as i need something slightly smaller because space is at a premium. I needed something to run trains so a circuit was a must and as i also enjoy shunting so i fancied some sort of goods yard. I spoke with my brother who suggested that rather than a goods yard how about an MPD to display my growing fleet of loco's? We discussed what was viable and came up with a rough plan, My brother said to make it stand out a bit more why not have a turntable, Imagine that the depot was rebuilt in the 80/90's and the table was left for turning on track plant and steam loco's on specials etc. Eventually i agreed on the plan and left it with my brother who has since built the baseboards, laid the track, ballasted it, and wired it all up. I'm very grateful to him for the work he has done as none of this is my strong point, I prefer to operate layouts and concentrate on scenery. The layout is set roughly in the south of the UK but nowhere in particular, It has a double track mainline on the lower level to let loco's run in, and then the MPD for me to play with. Modern image traction is the order of the day but with the table i'm sure some steam could make the odd visit.

post-3608-0-43751500-1329671437_thumb.jpg
post-3608-0-25412100-1329671607_thumb.jpg
post-3608-0-95663600-1329671743_thumb.jpg
post-3608-0-05845800-1329671928_thumb.jpg
post-3608-0-72544600-1329672033_thumb.jpg
post-3608-0-16286200-1329672204_thumb.jpg
post-3608-0-41239400-1329672357_thumb.jpg

Stuart.

Hi and thank you all for your kind comments

While the sun was out today i thought i would get stuarts lane out into the sunshine. There hasnt been much progress since my last post apart from starting the waste land infront of the turnrable around the concrete wall. The area isnt finished i want to add some more details and maybe a few trees. Over the weekend i want to try and get the front of turntable area coverd and along the front of the upper level. The next stage after this will be to do the road and make the embankment down the right hand side of the upper level bridge towards the lower mainline bridge. I have also managed to get myself a few more locos that i have wanted for quite awhile. First was a graham farish ews 60 60052. i have found this to be impossible to get hold off and just when i gave up looking there it was in my local model shop. Good job i managed to get some overtime in january. The second was a graham farish rfd 08 my brother has a blue one and he found this one ebay in the week and got it at a very good price (thanks graham) this arrived today and is running in as we speak. i have another loco that is away at the moment but all will be revealed when i get it back.

time for some photos sorry about the qaulity

first up the waste land

post-3608-0-84308600-1330190414_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-50716900-1330190555_thumb.jpg

A glorious spring afternoon at stuarts lane with 67022,58036,66098

post-3608-0-53335100-1330190709_thumb.jpg

76020 on the turntable at stuarts lane being turned for its return leg back to london.

post-3608-0-28701100-1330191115_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-46591000-1330191275_thumb.jpg

As dusk falls

post-3608-0-08156400-1330191411_thumb.jpg

A few general shots of the yard and engines

post-3608-0-10005800-1330191569_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-53665200-1330191802_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-23445200-1330191935_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-91077300-1330192152_thumb.jpg

hope you all enjoy and thanks for looking

stuart

Looking really good Stuart, the locos look spot on too... Can I ask what size this layout is please. I'm in the process of starting an N gauge layout and I'm still looking into baseboard sizes.

Cracking pictures, thanks for sharing your work.

Scott

Well done Stu, Glad to see your progressing, the area in front of the table looks spot on, I think the mix of the two scatters has worked really well and the photo's you have taken look great, i like the third one down with the locos lined up in the sun.

By the way the Mainline 60 is looking suitably worn, didn't realise you had weathered it.

Graham.

Thanks guys.

Graham the 60 has been weathered for awhile now but still needs touching up. I'm still not quite happy with it yet. Next on my list is my freightliner 66 but I need to get some more powerders and brushes but no more spending until I pay for my secret loco ;)

Stuart

• 2 months later...

Wow, fantastic layout! Will be following with great interest, it is just what I want to achieve with my new N gauge layout.

4ft x 2ft!? No way! It looks much bigger, do you have a track plan please or an overall aerial shot of the layout....?

Thanks very much, Oli

If you don't mind me saying.........bloomin brilliant !!!!

I dunno why, but, your layout seems 'different' from all the TMD layouts in a unique kind of way...........maybe it's the multi level, curved aspect ?

I personally think the trackplan works wonders, especially with the dead end sidings and turntable, giving plenty of photographic opportunities.

I think I'll stick around here and learn a thing or two !!!

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• RMweb Premium

Great feeling of space on this, which is hard to achieve with such a small footprint; I really like the idea of the lower level mainline - it almost gives two layouts in one!

Cracking locos too; keep up the good work...!!

• RMweb Premium

Great use of space, really like the idea of the lowered lines at the very front and the curves into the yard / sheds really add a sense of depth in such a short space. Are the sheds scratch built? Also, what have you used for the foliage?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys appologies for the lack of updates i have been away and my computer has decided to pack up. thank you all for the kind coments.

Hi MNG i sometinmes look at the layout still and think its not 4ft x 2ft just goes to show what you can do with n gauge plus i dont have alot of space to play with i will take some more photos when the weather improves and get stuarts lane outside again.

Hi shedmaster when i came up the plan with my brother. the idea was to create the modern look with little touches of the old depot area (ie the turntable). I also wanted to have more of the outside of the depot rather than just a shed. so came the slight curve to make it more interesting and longer aswell .

Hi maq1988 the shed is scratch built but i cant take credit for that my brother very kindly built it for me. The scatters are just a mix of woodland scenics.

I did also say that i had a new arival coming but i havent taken any pictures yet so i will have to keep you all in suspence alittle longer :)

There are also plans now to make the lower level 3rd rail. Again there will be another surprise there but my lips are sealed for now watch this space ;)

Thank you all again for your kind comments will try and keep you all updated as and when progress happens

stu

Finally took some photo's of my latest loco, It is 47492 resprayed and weathered into Res livery, Done by Mercig studio's (no connection just very satisfied customer)

I'l let the pictures do the talking.

post-3608-0-16844200-1339069611_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-62507300-1339069752_thumb.jpg

post-3608-0-21559100-1339069804_thumb.jpg

Stu.

Wow loving the 47 it looks fantastic!

Who's layout can been seen in the pictures? It looks rather good - it looks a lot like Smithdown Rd. Junction - actually, I think it is......

Oli

Thanks oli the layout is my brothers (smithdown rd junction) it's a very interesting layout to operate his work is fantastic. I still get confused where everything goes on his layout lol and Iv seen it built from day 1. my mainline 58 in earlier photos is also a mercig studios loco.

Stu

Thanks oli the layout is my brothers (smithdown rd junction) it's a very interesting layout to operate his work is fantastic. I still get confused where everything goes on his layout lol and Iv seen it built from day 1. my mainline 58 in earlier photos is also a mercig studios loco.

Stu

Oh wow Graham (Shanks522) is your brother!? Wow, what a small world lol, I have been following both your layouts with great interest for a long time and I can't believe that you are brothers! :O :no:

And yes, you are right his work is brilliant - and it does look very confusing with all the different routes :scratchhead:

Look forward to seeing more updates on the layout

Thanks again, MNG

• 1 month later...

Hi all work on the layout of late has been very slow. Stuarts lane has been back to my brothers this week to have some work done. The main yard light has now been fitted and wired up and the 3rd rail on the mainline is now all fixed in place but there is still loads to do and I'm going to take my time doing all these jobs :) I will upload some new pictures before the weekend

Thanks all for looking

Stuart

Archived