platform white edging

jbqfc

It is thought that WW2 was the beginning of it, due to the blackout and no station lighting. Although there is evidence that it appeared before then, on some railways.

I think this might have been discussed before, on the old RMweb forum

I do remember seeing a BBC "Great railway journeys" a while back that mentioned that white paint was rationed during WW2 so often they just painted dashes rather than the full platform edge .. implying it was started pre 1939.

Dave.

Reference to many photos taken in the mid sixties shows the dashed-line platform edge paint treatment remaining in vogue. I can't speak for other regions, but on Scottish, stations on both the Waverley and Strathmore main lines had this feature in '67. I wondered if there was another reason for this - to provide contrast when the strip nearest the platform edge had been cleared of snow?

Following the initial Zeppelin raids on London in 1915 'Blackouts' started, and were so successful most bombs fell on East Anglia, one end result being many railway stations had their platform edges painted white with whitewash.

That might have been partly down to Zepplins being a bit useless when it comes to accurately knowing where you are!

Various books I have, show Photos which confirm that white painting of lines was introduced in WW1 and continued neatly thereafter, WW2 and after it got a bit slapdash and ran over the platform edges on the stations I'm Interested in (EX MSWJR GWR)

• 2 months later...

It seems that there were examples from before WW1. I've got a copy of the Midland Railway Society booklet on the Steam Railmotors, and on page 11 there is a quote from the #22 Appendix to the June 1908 WTT, which mentions the Halts on the Hemel Hempstead branch. "The Permanent Way staff are to examine daily the springs to the gates and keep the platforms clean. The edges will be kept whitewashed to the width of one foot from the edge. The District Superintendent will make the necessary arrangements for lighting and extinguishing the lamps at the Halts".

That last sentence indicates that the whitewashed edge wasn't simply due to a lack of lighting, doesn't it?

• RMweb Gold

I do remember seeing a BBC "Great railway journeys" a while back that mentioned that white paint was rationed during WW2 so often they just painted dashes rather than the full platform edge .. implying it was started pre 1939.

Dave.

Platform edge whitening back then (and for many years after) didn't use paint - that is a relatively modern (1970s) idea. Back then whitewash was used and judging from pics it was used allover the place in wartime - implying there wasn't a shortage of it.

Archived