RMweb

Camden Shed

Thanks everyone for their kind comments. This particular bit does make me feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Graham - here's a compromise: a bit of playing and a bit of modelling?

I had an hour or so to begin weathering some of the stock I've built/converted/butchered/bodged. I think this is the time when you work out whether all the work was worth it, because the models either come alive or they look like a model with some dirty paint on.

I didn't fancy ruining one that I'd spent ages on, so I thought I'd begin with the 42' GUV since that could always be covered with more grime - I've got a photo of one on Camden Bank that looks like it's been doing the old RAC rally through Kielder.....

Before:

post-10140-0-57587100-1405966858_thumb.jpg

And after:

post-10140-0-31957600-1405967029_thumb.jpg

An old Bachmann/Mainline/Replica RMB, again before and after:

post-10140-0-03544500-1405967119_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-77289300-1405967135_thumb.jpg

One of the mk1 subs:

post-10140-0-57077800-1405967169_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-67092600-1405967185_thumb.jpg

And the playing bit?

Remarshalled parcels rake passes the goods shed, no.1 box, under the footbridge and begins its descent of the bank:

post-10140-0-91364800-1405967275_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 17

Actually I'm not sure that is an RMB. Is it an RBR?

Any views welcome. I think I am beginning to get some idea of variation of shade of muck. The oily axle boxes and springs contrast ok with the underframe dirt. Some of the door hinge dirt looks perfect, some less so.

Learning...

Iain

Iain, the buffet looks good.

I would suggest the 42ft van looks a little muddy, whereas steam age stock IMHO tended to have a darker hue than today, probably a result of all the soot. Try adding some gunmetal or german grey to your mix and applying from the top downwards?

But please don't be offended, I think these are excellent and will only go to enhance the overall view.

Thanks Jon, that's helpful feedback and much appreciated. I think you're right, although taking photos of these in direct sunlight has exaggerated the proportion of leather in the mix a little. I will have a further go at it.

These are taken this morning outside in natural light but not direct sun:

post-10140-0-25690000-1406012259_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-29970700-1406012273_thumb.jpg

With a basic camera and no photographic skill whatsoever, even these show up some differences in shade, and they are taken facing in opposite directions in the shade. Although they look darker than the one I posted yesterday, they do both still look in need of a little more soot.

I should have said that the Buffet had 2 coats of Klear before applying any weathering, which seems to have had a decent effect on this one. Parts of the underframe are in dire need of replacement, but I don't have any fittings to hand and was impatient to get on!

A Bachmann BG:

post-10140-0-09520800-1406012283_thumb.jpg

This one definitely needs further work - a bit more on the roof for a start. This one was a cheap secondhand buy - cheap probably because it looked like someone had tried to weather it with an 8" decorator's wallpaper brush and some brown oil paint. So it's already improved!

Iain

• Like 11

The mk1 catering vehicle is an RB (Resturant Buffet) - very common on the LMR. I believe the RBR was a rebuild of the RU as produced by Bachmann, I think Bachmann produce a version. I think the difference is banked out windows.

The RMB is a Resturant Minature Buffet, basically a mk1 SO with a serving counter for light snacks  and three windows removed on one side and two oval windows opposite the  serving counter - Bachmann  produce a version ( old Hornby railroad  did too). 

Thanks Jon, that's helpful feedback and much appreciated. I think you're right, although taking photos of these in direct sunlight has exaggerated the proportion of leather in the mix a little. I will have a further go at it.

These are taken this morning outside in natural light but not direct sun:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

With a basic camera and no photographic skill whatsoever, even these show up some differences in shade, and they are taken facing in opposite directions in the shade. Although they look darker than the one I posted yesterday, they do both still look in need of a little more soot.

I should have said that the Buffet had 2 coats of Klear before applying any weathering, which seems to have had a decent effect on this one. Parts of the underframe are in dire need of replacement, but I don't have any fittings to hand and was impatient to get on!

A Bachmann BG:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This one definitely needs further work - a bit more on the roof for a start. This one was a cheap secondhand buy - cheap probably because it looked like someone had tried to weather it with an 8" decorator's wallpaper brush and some brown oil paint. So it's already improved!

Iain

It certainly looks darker in today's shots. The Kleer has done a good job on the carriage sides, are you using the original or one of the pledge replacements?

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

It's the original formula. I decant some into a small screw top glass bottle and use it from there as I fully expect to knock over the big bottle if I ever use it straight from there. I'm sure that's an easy way to apply it to the floor (its original intended use....!) but also the quickest way to use it up.

Even doing 3 coats per coach it seems to go quite a long way. So, unless I do send the big bottle flying, it will hopefully last me a while. I do have a bottle of the new formula too, but haven't used it yet. Most reports I've seen suggest that the new stuff looks different but basically does the same thing when dry. I'll try it on something that doesn't matter first, mind.

I've been building the planking that mainly encircles the turntable at rail level presumably for the benefit of the enginemen. The bits in the 4ft are easy and all done. The other bits are taking longer. I'll photograph them when they're all done and painted.

I'm going to have a minor diversion now. In the next couple of weeks I'm going to build (or at least start building) 3 locos. In the context of Camden Shed, one is very obvious and utterly essential. One is less obvious but a regular visitor. And one is utterly absurd......

Iain

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Iain.

I don't look through the layout threads as much as I used to, but I have to say you've made a lot of progress in the few months since I looked at CS.

Trackwork looks great, nice turntable and a FEW coaches! Blimey. 

I'll also keep an eye on the signalling (about which I'm always bemused) - especially if you consult Mike "the Oracle".

As KL currently no longer exists, threads such as yours are just the inspiration many of us need.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, you're very kind. I've been lurking and following your progress with the house build and move, not least as we are trying to finalise a plot to build on at the moment. Hope the back is settling down.

I've started updating my Motive Power thread with two locos under construction, in case anyone is interested.

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Morning everyone, if indeed there is anyone out there who hasn't got fed up waiting in vain for something to occur,

The truth is that I've no idea what's happened in the shed, as I've not been in there for several weeks, probably 2 months now. Hopefully the world spider population hasn't risen too much.

I've been exceptionally busy with work, family and golf, in that order sadly, such that time to model has been non-existent. My job this academic year has become considerably more complex, and I've worked every evening bar 2, and every Saturday and Sunday bar 1, since the last week of August. The less modelling you do, the less you are inclined to do, I've found. There is the window of half term coming up too.

So while I don't think I'm in danger of ripping it all up and turning the shed into an indoor putting studio, there is a noticeable barrier to overcome to get started again. I suspect that, like Gordon, I will find the inclement weather of winter a greater impetus to get in there and make some progress. The very fact that I have been thinking about things is a good sign I hope: I'm obviously keen to get something done.

Jobs to do that I really need to get sorted are:

Wire the last few pieces of track in the yard area, test and troubleshoot

Part of this means building the wagon lift to the coaling plant. It won't be operational.....!

Secure all wiring under the boards into the wiring runs

Find a solution to the 8 or is it 9 LMS water cranes required and secure the bases in place

Fit the point levers in the yard

Work out how I am going to build and fix the main shed buildings and linked machine shop, offices, rough stores etc, plus the coaler, so that I can then.....

Ash ballast and weather the entire yard area (I'll be seeking out Steve Fay for some tips I suspect!)

The turntable will be manually operated if I can rig up a mechanism with a winding handle. The electrical motor system (expo) just isn't up to it, probably because of my hamfisted efforts to build it.

Still no idea how to do the yard lights (quite a conspicuous feature), and how best to signal the main lines given the simplification and compression over the prototype. But I know someone who will know.

So thanks for the patience if you are out there, and I hope to give you something to read soon.

Iain

• Like 2

Iain

I for one fully understand real life getting in the way of modelling. It is very true that the less you manage to fit in, the less likely you are to want to pick it up. Fortunately it only lasts for a while. The length of time varies from person to person.

Looking forward to any updates as time permits.

Duncan

Iain,

maintaining your enthusiasm, especially when doing the "chores" in layout building when other more exciting/enjoyable/novel activities are available, isn't easy. It is also too easy to see what still lies ahead but forget what you have already achieved. That's where I am at present, so building loads of LNWR station seats (thirteen done, four to go but I've run out of etches), barrows and trucks isn't very rewarding and needs a fair bit of self discipline. I've had to put aside a part built loco that I was enjoying building to keep focussed.

So keep at it when the opportunity arises, it's worth it in the long run, especially with the standard of modelling that you are producing,

Jol

• RMweb Gold

I personally think its a good thing to have a break from modelling how ever it comes about though life or a self enforced rest. it can give a fresh approach to modelling and new ideas. Though this can lead to re doing some parts to improve certain areas I would be hard pushed to believe that this is possible with your high standards/ skills.

So I for one am sure when you are ready and life lets you continue it will be well worth the wait, and look forward to some more top notch modelling.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone for their kind words and supportive clicks.

Experimenting with some ground up coal and ash/clinker mixes for ground cover and ballast in the yard. This bit is just next to the coaler so will be covered up with more coal fragments in due course anyway.

Any views?

post-10140-0-20676200-1414350798_thumb.jpg

I've also done a bit of wiring (no pics of that, you'll probably be pleased to hear), fiddled about with the standard 5 chassis, and prepared a new coach build, so I have got back on the figurative bike.

This bodyshell and chassis from a Hornby China Stanier TK came in a £4.99 job lot of similar shells and chassis. It will get some Comet sides that I had in stock anyway. The sides are a good fit and the roof vents match the drawings exactly. I've got some spare Bachmann bogies and Comet LMS buffers, so I'll just need to make an interior and get corridor connections.

post-10140-0-70986400-1414351336_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-12710700-1414351351_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-23148800-1414351360_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 14

Hi Iain,

RMWeb is so huge so I have only just caught up with the latest on your thread.  Whilst I am not usually of the LMS/LMR persuasion, I can only admire and envy your superior work - simply stunning.

Regards,

Brian.

• Like 1

Experimenting with some ground up coal and ash/clinker mixes for ground cover and ballast in the yard. This bit is just next to the coaler so will be covered up with more coal fragments in due course anyway.

Any views?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Iain

Look pretty damn good to me! How exactly did you fix it down? I'm about to embark on depot ground cover so am keen to see and try any decent looking methods going

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

The track was laid into pva some time ago, then Carrs ash ballast sprinkled on while still wet, then the excess was hoovered off. This experiment then involved painting more pva on top of this hardened layer, and then combinations of ground coal, clinker and ash sprinkled on and excess removed in the same fashion. This is with thin C&L sleepers though, so I don't know how well it would work with the Peco sleepers on Grantham. It might need several applications?

Once I get the method right, the entire yard area will be done, with subtle and not-so-subtle variations according to location and the photographic evidence I have. The coaler will have a lot of coal fragments all over the surrounding area, while the ash plant has large deposits of ash and smoke box debris around it. Next to the coaler is a water sprinkler to reduce dust, so that area needs to have a wet look to it. Some areas have the appearance of being very compacted and smooth, almost Tarmac-like. I'm conscious that I could get this bit wrong and it will look atrocious!

Iain

I thought it won't be long before we see another instalment, quicker than expected though I must say !!

yard track work looks great, had a look through a number of photos to try and understand if there are differences around specific locations - there are, not withstanding the ejector drains which generally drain directly above the rail, it relates to water columns, where ever they are it's usually 'ground in' and smoothed up to the rail edge, wet and glossy near the rails, becoming dryer and more crumbled the further away you are.

There is a water column just prior to the coaling plant, plus the water spray, after leaving the turntable, while (not counting the southern one) there are no water columns at the ash plant, see photos attached to demonstrate the point.

post-11084-0-40116000-1414406709.jpg

post-11084-0-06329200-1414407037.jpg

post-11084-0-44817400-1414407156_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-88472300-1414407269_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 9

the colour photo versions show it up better, just imagine the drama whenever either of these units failed !!

somewhere around I've got a copy of a photo of the ash plant, either after or during a failure, it's a hot summers day, a clean up team has been assigned to clear the mess, it's hard tidy work shovelling from the pits into a wagon, a couple are drinking water from what looks like milk bottles, they all look terrible, and not that long ago.

the ash plant shot is one of my favourites, just says so much.

post-11084-0-86976300-1414408358_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-40552000-1414408442.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 11

Hi Iain,

had to laugh at your list of things that must get done, far too short, but so much less than my list !!

sad about Comet Models, puts a different light on carriage side discussions, especially for Mary and Tim at this time.