Camden Shed

Hi Ian,

so glad I found your thread, may I congratulate you on achieving some excellent results with your modelling and if I'm not mistaken 'first efforts'

A fantastic subject matter and no doub't an extremely busy place and will make for some intresting operating sessions, did you manage in the end to get hold of LNWR Portrayed?

There is at least one other chap doing Camden bank who's name I will leave out for the moment, I think he is in P4 or EM gauge, you may find a link through the Scalefour society.

keep up the good work and I will be looking in with interest.

cheers

Peter A L

Hi Peter,

Many thanks, praise indeed from a master! I genuinely appreciate your kind words.

First efforts, yes, but with a lot of tutorial and inspiration from many on here, yourself included, even if you didn't know up to now.

I've not got LNWR Portrayed yet: still looking.

I did have the privilege of seeing Camden Bank last summer. It is an exceptional piece of work in progress, the main section between Granby Terrace and Gloucester Gate being especially impressive. Mr W has been exceptionally helpful to me.

Operation will hopefully hold the interest. If I ever get that far..... There will be a variety of passenger services both into and out of Euston. From predominantly mk1 class A stock on major services to and from the north, through plenty of Stanier pd III stock, non-corridor stock on suburban services, mixed rakes and so on. I will need to use various rakes several times to represent these, otherwise I'll need a 200 road fiddle yard and a lot more money. Also plenty of ecs moves by 2-6-4 tank towards Willesden carriage sidings to the north, with the train engine banking in reverse on the rear then peeling off to the shed. A good deal of movement in the shed area. Locos come on in reverse under the footbridge, pass the shed on the loco road to the NW side onto the turntable. Then reverse down under the coaler, drop the fire in the ashpits, water at one of various points and sit wherever there is space facing NE ready to reverse back down to Euston to take another train. Any loco going north with a train will be turned via loco lift in the fiddle yard and won't return too quickly! Plus 0-6-0 tanks moving coal and ash wagons around. Don't think I will mechanise either the ash or coal lifting gear......a step or more too far for me. That's the prototype as far as I can take it. I could then put third and fourth rail onto the two slow lines and have some Watford DC lines emu workings. I could also stretch truth a little and include some freight going south of Camden, which was very rare.

Thanks for the interest.

Iain

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Philbax. I am wiring it so that it can go DCC (soon), but the plan was always to keep a more traditional operation of the turnouts. Hence, I think I'm going to go with the simplest solution in my mind which was suggested by Keith, and means that I just need to set the route correctly. I could adapt it later to a module like the one you suggest, but I think I would only do that if I go entirely DCC and use frog juicers etc.

Thanks for your interest.

A little more progress. What do people think of this view?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The Gilbey warehouse needs blending into the other board, which Alan is going to do in situ in the next week or two. It isn't easy to make this join work. But so far, it is a very decent representation of the real thing.

On another note, this pic courtesy of 53A models on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/7149637505/

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Shows the end of the siding off the coal wagon road, which was often used for loco storage.

Can anyone help with the buffer stop, or lack of one? It looks as if there is a miniature one. On another view that I can't post, there is a definite rail crosspiece, but maybe only 12" above the rail head.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Iain

Edited as I pressed post before I'd finished!

The warehouse view looks great Iain.

There definitely appear to be wheelstops behind the tender of the Princess Coronation - basically more or less triangular shaped castings (but with rounded a rounded angle on the top and, usually, a curve in the face the wheel might contact) bolted to the inside edge of the rail and about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to at stopping the average loco.

Thanks very much Mike. I have some very clear views of that type of stop around the turntable. This one appears to have some kind of crosspiece too - is that possible or an illusion?

These look like the guard irons would strike the stop before the wheels. I guess that's not the case.

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much Mike. I have some very clear views of that type of stop around the turntable. This one appears to have some kind of crosspiece too - is that possible or an illusion?

These look like the guard irons would strike the stop before the wheels. I guess that's not the case.

Iain

It could well be braced Iain although I've never seen any like that (not on the Western that is ;) ).  Usual p[ractice with all teh ones I've seen, including those inset in shed floors (on and off the Western) is to have them on the inside edge - so the guard iron will thus miss them.

Good point trustytrev. That's how I located a couple of other books come to think of it...

I've been pondering the stop we've been discussing.

This pic:

post-10140-0-60317100-1386887234.jpg

which is just blown up from the previous one, seems to show the remnants of an older, normal sized stop?

Or am I mistaken?

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Good point trustytrev. That's how I located a couple of other books come to think of it...

I've been pondering the stop we've been discussing.

This pic:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

which is just blown up from the previous one, seems to show the remnants of an older, normal sized stop?

Or am I mistaken?

Iain

Looks like you might be right Ian - that is not any sort of wheelstop I've ever seen (but it is the LMR :O  ).  Jeff might be right or it might have been deliberately done to lengthen the siding?

• Like 1

Iain,

where are the Jumbos, Teutonics, Jubilees, etc.?  :sad_mini:

It's pretty much as it would have been when we travelled down from Rugby on a saturday excursions, pity I didn't take much notice. The excitement of arriving at Euston was probably too much.

Happy Christmas.

Jol

Edited by LNWRmodeller
  • Like 2

Hi Iain

"92020 - rebuilt Crosti, made from a railroad chassis and half a faulty Golden Arrow body mated to the other half of a damaged Hornby body. I have a pic of 92020 at Bletchley in 1962 so it is only completely fanciful to include this, rather than being a total fabrication......
92116 - earmarked as a donor loco to make a much better 92020."

Did you know that Hornby have a Crosti 9F in their Railroad announced releases for the coming year (on when ever they get around to it), it might be a good basis for some detailing work, see:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79822-2014-Hornby-announcements/

It might offer a reprieve for 92116 too.

Lovely to see all the stock on the layout.

Happy new year, and happy modelling>

Jamie

• Like 1

Thanks to Jeff, Mike, Grimleygrid, Cutler2579, Richard and Jol for their kind words and encouragement.

Richard - wonderful picture as ever, of 70033 ascending the bank. If that is without enhancement, it speaks volumes for the quality of the photography originally.

Hi Iain

"92020 - rebuilt Crosti, made from a railroad chassis and half a faulty Golden Arrow body mated to the other half of a damaged Hornby body. I have a pic of 92020 at Bletchley in 1962 so it is only completely fanciful to include this, rather than being a total fabrication......

92116 - earmarked as a donor loco to make a much better 92020."

Did you know that Hornby have a Crosti 9F in their Railroad announced releases for the coming year (on when ever they get around to it), it might be a good basis for some detailing work, see:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79822-2014-Hornby-announcements/

It might offer a reprieve for 92116 too.

Lovely to see all the stock on the layout.

Happy new year, and happy modelling>

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes, I did clock that. To be honest the Bachmann chassis and cab area are so far ahead of the Hornby version that I'm likely to use at least these parts. Having said that, the new Railroad Crosti cab and front spectacles do look considerably better than the old 9F. The side chimney and manifold on those pre-production pics look exceptionally good, so if I were doing an original Crosti, I would definitely use those. The key bit is that the main boiler barrel (the only one on the rebuilt version, obviously) is a smaller diameter than the standard 9F, and sits a little higher. Hence the chimney is very squat and contributes considerably to the look of these. The Crownline conversion kit (I actually have one of each, rebuilt and original Crosti) doesn't quite cut it as it uses the standard boiler, firebox and smokebox. So I'm leaning towards an amalgamation of the Bachmann chassis, running plate and cab, with a Railroad firebox, boiler and smokebox. This won't be the cheapest way to do it, but it will probably be the most accurate available to me.

Either way, this is a fairly low priority so I will wait a while and see what the Hornby one looks like. There is a lot else to do before that.

Happy New year to you, and all RMwebbers.

Iain

• Like 1

I must admit that at some point I might be tempted by the DJH Crosti 9F, but building such a complex loco from brass is a few years away from me as yet..

It will be interesting to see when the Hornby Crosti 9F comes out, what people do to detail it. I suspect that many will watch your progress though.

Good luck.

Hi Phil,

Thank you. The turntable begins as a Peco item, but will be modified in several ways. It's a long way from being perfect, but the Metalsmith Cowans and Sheldon 70' turntable isn't available yet, and I need to make a compromise here. I'll post a bit of progress later I hope - as it happens, I have only this morning started work on the turntable.

Camden in P4? Wow, I wish you well with the negotiations on space: it will be a great pleasure to watch your progress, if you can keep us updated. I've made several compromises in terms of space and trackwork complexity on the mainlines, not to mention losing the 3rd and 4th rail on the slow lines, and a huge amount of the goods station. An perfect project for me would be the whole area from Regents Park Road bridge to the Goods Depot footbridge - as I have done here - but to scale. I'd thought about it in EM, as I think I might eventually be able to cope with the tolerances, but never allowed myself to dream of doing it in P4.

Best wishes,

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Hello Iain

I don’t write often as I can’t really add much to your work – but think you are doing a fabulous job! As I think I said in an earlier posting, Camden holds a special place in my memory as I went there so often during my spotting days of the late 50s/early 60s.

I have a few moments of cine film taken sometime early 60s which I will try some way to copy for you (in due course). In the meantime, I stumbled across the photo below, which I don’t think has been mentioned on this thread.

All the best!

Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/5957789982/in/photostream/

• Like 1