Camden Shed

and to make up for my lack of golf savvy, a bit more shed detail:

The shed modernisation plan, shows some interesting internal turntable sites, three external wall door locations, window and not window detail, also the coaling plant filling strategy which appears to be made up in racks of twentyone wagons both empty and full allocation.

This building is full of history and older lost architectural symmetry, in that it had two machine shop spaces, upper floors and chimney stacks , the southern structure located were the current wheel drop is located.

The other photo shows one of the door sets during the 1932 rebuilding

post-11084-0-13012700-1419040939_thumb.png

post-11084-0-18262300-1419041167_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Iain,

sorry I never got chance to chat to you at Warley; as I am sure you noticed, I was trying my hardest to operate Leicester and follow the huge list of operating instructions, ensure the trains didn't stall on the incline, etc. I did look out for you on my next break but as there seemed to be about 5,000,000 people there, the odds were against that. Hopefully, we'll bump into each other at Bracknell (can't remember which layout I am there with :)).

Been keeping an eye on the layout and your rolling stock projects and I am loving your work. It's good to hear that you may have got to the bottom of the derailment issues now, and hopefully your motivation will return as a result. Of course, build your own house and you can design in a huge railway room, with a bar (first consideration, surely :D). If the missus mentions the size of it once completed (and the bar), just tell her that the architect / builders must have done a Spinal Tap and got inches and feet confused.

All the best, and hoping you have a great Christmas,

Jason.

• Like 2

That photograph shows what the LMS had become under the mismanagement of the former Midland Railway upper echelon. Not only have they put some ghastly ex MR locos in there, they even nicked an NE wagon to carry away the debris from the rebuild.

The Experiment in the middle of the picture still looks very much in original condition, nine years after the grouping. Clearly the staff at Crewe were hanging on to the old values as much as possible.

• Like 4

Even into 1933 the shed still boasted nineteen LNWR types out of fifty express engines, however Stanier was about to change it all, but not before the likes of Laurie Earl had taught Midland Enginemen how to drive their own engines !!

Yes, I said it out loud...........

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 2

Morning Iain,

Found your thread in the link from your post in Gordon's ET and as I hope to one day make an MPD layout of the old G&SWR shed and environs at Hurlford (67B) where my dad was a driver in the fifties, I find it fascinating. I lived in the accommodation by the shed for several years as a youngster and have always wanted to make a sort of memorial to those wonderful days. I hope you don't mind if I trawl through your efforts over the next couple of days to crib some ideas and inspiration and forgive me for a rash of ratings from what I've seen so far!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Laurie who, you ask ?

Long before Starvis, Stoneman, and Thorpe .... the likes of FC Brooker, born 1888, LNWR 1904, firing 1907, driving 1919; LA Earl, LNWR 1901, driving 1916; WE Freestone, firing 1900, driving 1920; and BA Marchant to name a few, all legends in their own right. Others were Charlton, Garrett, Gibson and Stone.

Others, not Camden based were J Greenhalgh and T.Clark, both of Crewe North.

Laurie 'Ninety' Earl, Frank Brooker and Marchant all were top link drivers in the 1933 period.

Special mention must go however to Tom Clark who joined the LNWR in 1888, and together with firemen Charles Fleet and Albert Shaw, all of Crewe 5A, took on the 16th November 1936, 6201 Princess Elizabeth from Euston to Glasgow in 5hrs, 53mins, 38sec. An amazing result for its day, when you consider a Pendolino is currently scheduled at 4hrs 31mins (acknowledging stops) and an unbroken record for steam traction.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for their kind words and encouragement.

I didn't think I would lose motivation to do anything at all - it was more about what I would do. I've genuinely missed the creative experience and fun from designing, planning and building. If I'd decided not to continue with this iteration of Camden Shed as a layout, then I'd have carried on with locos and stock ready for the time when I did get the layout the way I wanted it.

and to make up for my lack of golf savvy, a bit more shed detail:

The shed modernisation plan, shows some interesting internal turntable sites, three external wall door locations, window and not window detail, also the coaling plant filling strategy which appears to be made up in racks of twentyone wagons both empty and full allocation.

This building is full of history and older lost architectural symmetry, in that it had two machine shop spaces, upper floors and chimney stacks , the southern structure located were the current wheel drop is located.

The other photo shows one of the door sets during the 1932 rebuilding

Thanks as always for your encouragement and pieces of info, Stanley. Hopefully I will have more interesting stuff to show over the coming months.

Hi Iain,

sorry I never got chance to chat to you at Warley; as I am sure you noticed, I was trying my hardest to operate Leicester and follow the huge list of operating instructions, ensure the trains didn 't stall on the incline, etc. I did look out for you on my next break but as there seemed to be about 5,000,000 people there, the odds were against that. Hopefully, we'll bump into each other at Bracknell (can't remember which layout I am there with :)).

Been keeping an eye on the layout and your rolling stock projects and I am loving your work. It's good to hear that you may have got to the bottom of the derailment issues now, and hopefully your motivation will return as a result. Of course, build your own house and you can design in a huge railway room, with a bar (first consideration, surely :D). If the missus mentions the size of it once completed (and the bar), just tell her that the architect / builders must have done a Spinal Tap and got inches and feet confused.

All the best, and hoping you have a great Christmas,

Jason.

Thanks Jason. You did look a bit perplexed at Warley. I thought it was concern at my ability to keep the debris from that pasty from showering all over the goods yard on Leicester South. Would have been hard to explain the puff pastry on the automated capstan shunting......

Yes, the house design is exciting. We are hoping to get the plot by the summer, but there are a lot of potential disasters before then. My (much) better half is very happy with me designing and using a huge purpose-built loft space. I am very lucky!

Will hope to see you when you're down at Bracknell. Let me know nearer the time and you're welcome to come over. Likewise a very happy first married Christmas to you!

That photograph shows what the LMS had become under the mismanagement of the former Midland Railway upper echelon. Not only have they put some ghastly ex MR locos in there, they even nicked an NE wagon to carry away the debris from the rebuild.

The Experiment in the middle of the picture still looks very much in original condition, nine years after the grouping. Clearly the staff at Crewe were hanging on to the old values as much as possible.

Thanks Jol, hope all is well. Will you be at Bracknell this year as well?

Glad to see this is going ahead.

Not a shed I ever visited, in fact I never even saw either a semi, a Princess, or a Scot, let alone a patriot.......but it has atmosphere.

Like it.

Thanks Jeff, hope I can maintain the interest and atmosphere.

Morning Iain,

Found your thread in the link from your post in Gordon's ET and as I hope to one day make an MPD layout of the old G&SWR shed and environs at Hurlford (67B) where my dad was a driver in the fifties, I find it fascinating. I lived in the accommodation by the shed for several years as a youngster and have always wanted to make a sort of memorial to those wonderful days. I hope you don't mind if I trawl through your efforts over the next couple of days to crib some ideas and inspiration and forgive me for a rash of ratings from what I've seen so far!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

You're most welcome. Do ask anything you like and I'll try to help. And thanks for any likes too!

Thanks again everyone, and a Happy Christmas to you all.

Iain

Post-Christmas update

Hope that everyone had a lovely couple of days. I spent a couple of hours on Wednesday and then another couple yesterday evening on two projects.

Firstly, the wagon lift for the coaling tower. This had to be built to complete and wire all the final pieces of track - I had left a gap but it made no sense to do that as this can be built separately to the tower itself. Once painted I can at least test and fettle all the track before proceeding. I used the drawings in LMS Engine Sheds vol 1, to give me an impression of what it might have looked like. Detailed photos are the on the ground.....

Under construction:

post-10140-0-29526400-1419676422_thumb.jpg

Completed except for the pulley wheels etc:

post-10140-0-97017400-1419676432_thumb.jpg

And with an unfinished Parkside kit on the rails:

post-10140-0-85668400-1419676455_thumb.jpg

Secondly, a more complicated build:

post-10140-0-89522500-1419676480_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-27998100-1419676469_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

These will give more of a clue:

post-10140-0-56721600-1419676399_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-80634000-1419676378_thumb.jpg

Please visit http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part150/Part03/index.htmlto see a series of excellent photos of a Royal Scot being serviced at Camden. The 3rd or 4th photo down the page is a very good photo of the back of the Pembroke pub.

Here is another from Stephen Toogood's Flickr stream:

post-10140-0-68519600-1419679096_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steventoogood53/6791579201/in/photostream/lightbox/

And from eBay:

post-10140-0-46187400-1419678706_thumb.jpg

The front of the pub:

post-10140-0-22928000-1419678663_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 11

Hi Iain

Good to see things are still moving ahead. With what you appear to have coming up with the house etc, it`s no wonder things slowed down on the modelling front a bit.

Very nice job being made on the pub.Not something i can fit on mine i`m afraid.

Look forward to your progress as and when.

Best wishes for 2015.

Jim.

Thanks for the update.

I always enjoy seeing the buildings you make. Being a fellow urban layout maker, I love seeing the back of buildings, the pipes and details that overlook the tracks. The front of the pub will be fun, it is one of those very distinctively London buildings.

Merry Model Making (in a seasonal way of course).

Jamie

Thanks Jim and Jamie, and all good wishes to you both,

Pembroke (Castle?) pub:

post-10140-0-23769500-1419776406.jpg

I miscalculated the thickness of the walls, so dismantled it and started the wall detailing separately.

post-10140-0-35916800-1419776501_thumb.jpg

And, since you can never have enough projects on the go at once, here is the start of the rough stores building. This should be reasonably simple, with only 2 doors and no windows. I've tried a different method, using thick mounting card as a shell.

post-10140-0-42396400-1419776710_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Nice work there!

Good shot of City of Carlisle. I have been asked to give the nice red one Mike Edge gave me to

Weather a bit of a polish up for use on Carlisle...it's one of the ones sent on Grantham shed recently....

But they do look nice with a bit of dirt!

Baz

• Like 2

Thanks Barry. Looking forward to weathering some Coronations in due course. Wish I could have spent some time picking your brains at Warley though.

A bit more done on the rough stores building today:

Double sided tape to fix the brickwork to the shell

post-10140-0-17759700-1419892395_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-66236300-1419892408_thumb.jpg

Manufacturing 14 bits of wall thickening.

post-10140-0-77605000-1419892426_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-99936900-1419892444_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-00813900-1419892459_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-46799100-1419892473_thumb.jpg

And in place:

post-10140-0-74428100-1419892484_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 8

A bit more progress today: golf course frozen solid. I was supposed to be playing in Sussex but it was going to be more like pinball than golf....

I filled in the fillets at the top of each wall thickening piece, and added a 2 course strip along the top of each side wall.

Roof made from 6mm ply for rigidity, then covered with 8'x4' sheets of corrugated iron. Well, corrugated plastic. Actually they are 8'7" x 4'3" but they look plausible. I thinned the edges of each sheet too.

post-10140-0-87080300-1419966063_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-84793000-1419966076_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-79543900-1419966087_thumb.jpg

Then did the skylights out of 40 thou plasticard and 30x125 and 10x10 strip.

post-10140-0-74558400-1419966114_thumb.jpg

Finally guttering and end doors

post-10140-0-44943800-1419966130_thumb.jpg

Starting to look like the (admittedly fairly vague) photos.

The end door thought comes from a faint couple of lines in the background of a photo, and the fact that the siding under the water tower seems slightly more pointless unless it did originally go into the rough stores. I think I know it finished under the tower by the early 60's where it was used for all sorts of storage purposes. At least that's where I built the stop earlier this year.

I'm going to add the drainpipes and a couple of other details once the brickwork is painted. The whole thing has had a coat of primer.

Iain

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Barry. Looking forward to weathering some Coronations in due course. Wish I could have spent some time picking your brains at Warley though.

Iain

Iain 

no problem .. I will be back at Warley this year but if you need any help a PM works...

but just to get you going .. a shed cleaned duchess...

post-7650-0-65940800-1419968898_thumb.jpg

Baz

• Like 5

Thanks Jez and Barry.

This is the only http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65335-motive-power-for-camden-shed/?p=872202 Coronation I've weathered thus far. I think it was perhaps 3 years ago now. I know it's not perfect but I hope that the idea of a loco cleaned but not clean is evident. There are some pics of Coronations and especially Princesses in very dirty and careworn condition in the early 60's, but from 1960-62, I have mainly found photos showing some attempt at sprucing up the top locos.

That leads me onto another thought: I chose 1960-62 as a period because it is a window that allows me to run what I want. Specifically pre 62 as that was when 71000 was withdrawn, but as late as possible since several locos have been built with AWS and, for some of them I know the date of fitment. Then by 63 Camden became a diesel only depot. It also had to be post 1960 as that was when 92220 was built, and while it will be the only complete impostor on the layout I thought I might as well at least do it at the right time.

I'm thinking now that I might extend the period to something like 58 or 59-62

My reasoning goes like this:

By 61-62, Camden had a significant proportion of diesel power, and I will have very predominantly steam. For now, in fact, it is only steam. So if I am stretching the proportion of steam to 1956 levels, why not take the period back a little too?

Whichever combination of locos and stock I use will only be valid for one particular day/week/month/year anyway, For example, my justification for 44867 is that I have a photo of it bringing the Up Midlander under the bridge in 59, but I've built it in 62 condition with AWS.

Going a little earlier allows me to have a little more variation in coaching stock liveries - I can include the odd c and c corridor coach and some plain suburban stock. I have seen evidence of occasional blood and custard vehicles in 1960-61, but not enough information to work out which ones. Stock will still be mainly lined maroon but with a few % of others - but I wouldn't have to identify particular vehicles.

I'm building an approximation of Camden Shed, not a perfect replica on one particular afternoon, so there is nothing preventing a slight stretching of the window.

Any thoughts?

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 2

You could have days where you run an authentic set of stock, and then have 'imposter days' when you run whatever you like. Sometimes thing just don't look right when you do that, signs being something that changed quickly that can't just be swapped over, but if you really like a loco, or other stock it is your layout, and your choice to run it.

I am a huge fan of the diesel layout Wibdenshaw on http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/, it is one of the most realistic layouts I have seen, even being planned into the OS map of the area, but they run stock from all regions, and it just looks fine.

Great to see the layout progressing and you enjoying it again.

Happy New Year.

Jamie

A bit more progress today: golf course frozen solid. I was supposed to be playing in Sussex but it was going to be more like pinball than golf....

I filled in the fillets at the top of each wall thickening piece, and added a 2 course strip along the top of each side wall.

Roof made from 6mm ply for rigidity, then covered with 8'x4' sheets of corrugated iron. Well, corrugated plastic. Actually they are 8'7" x 4'3" but they look plausible. I thinned the edges of each sheet too.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Then did the skylights out of 40 thou plasticard and 30x125 and 10x10 strip.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Finally guttering and end doors

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Starting to look like the (admittedly fairly vague) photos.

The end door thought comes from a faint couple of lines in the background of a photo, and the fact that the siding under the water tower seems slightly more pointless unless it did originally go into the rough stores. I think I know it finished under the tower by the early 60's where it was used for all sorts of storage purposes. At least that's where I built the stop earlier this year.

I'm going to add the drainpipes and a couple of other details once the brickwork is painted. The whole thing has had a coat of primer.

Iain

Iain

I'm not sure this is the right building?  You can see the water tower above.  But it looks to me as though the corrugated iron is also on the top of the end walls and that the door was bricked in?  Can it be right that the roof didn't go all the way over the walls?

post-18453-0-93850200-1420015069_thumb.jpg

I didn't know quite whether to comment or not.  I don't want to cause grief where none is necessary!  The date is 1958-59.

Richard

PS  You may need to lighten the image a bit to see it properly.

Edited by Froxfield2012

Iain

Here's a couple of crops from scans showing that area of the shed.  Not up to scratch quality-wise but perhaps showing that the door was on the right hand side?  Anyway, your ambition to produce the essence of Camden is undamaged by these small points?

Richard

PS these are taken from a 1960s pamphlet, I hope no copyright is breached.

post-18453-0-87431700-1420038603.jpg

post-18453-0-16259200-1420038629_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Richard - that's perfect. I have that little booklet and I've just consulted it - you are as usual unbelievably helpful and spot on! The doors may even have been recessed but the impression is ok, I think. I will keep the doors central and continue with painting. To rebuild it with the doors more towards one side would also require moving the building to line up the doors with the siding.

Thanks again and a happy new year to all Camden Shed followers. Your support is much appreciated!

Iain