Camden Shed

Thanks Andy for your interest and encouragement.

Iain, I may be able to get the pictures you want from the East(Euston Side) of the bridge this weekend in daylight by taking them from the beer garden of the pub. The West side though is far more difficult due to the high wall.

Thanks very much, if you can it would be great! Just don't get arrested.....!

The font was standard across all Regions - the difference was of course the Regional colour of the background plus the WR used cream lettering instead of the white used by all other Regions. I thought the the sign by the door at Camden had white lettering but it's an awful long time since I last crept past it ;)

Thanks Mike, I had thought white but the pic shows cream. Must have been discoloured/weathered/nicotine-stained by the time it was photographed! Thanks for the help and interest, much appreciated.

Iain

Edited by 92220

• 3 weeks later...

The colour of the lettering on the sign is going to bug me..... Looked repeatedly at the pic I have and while it might be understandable to have interpreted it as light cream, I ought to have worked out that it wasn't. Another order may well have to happen.

But anyway, back to much more important things. We have a fully functioning 4 track mainline and 12 road storage yard circuit. All droppers wired to the bus, all 41 tortoises working. Minor fettling of a couple of switch blades required, and one major short detected and rectified.

However, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the shed.......the deadly virus has struck. Yes, Trackliftingitis. Not as severe a case as Larry (coachmann) has, but a concern nonetheless.

The geometry of the pointwork on the down lines leaving the shed area to the north under Regents Park Road bridge left something to be desired. On the prototype, the loco line ran north alongside the down fast and through an opening in the bridge abutment, not under the bridge itself. You can see it clearly on the Flickr shot I linked to earlier in the thread. 46226 Duchess of Norfolk on Camden Shed 8th November 1959 by John Wiltshire and also in this photo of the LMS track arrangement at Chalk Farm on a model at the NRM.

post-10140-0-18753200-1354710849_thumb.jpg

(The turnout on the line to and from the shed area that is partly under that bridge abutment was removed by the time I am modelling)

I had the loco line joining the down fast too soon, so that it woud be visible on the scenic side and to be honest, I knew it would bug me. So, I have a couple of big curved turnouts, D12 and C10, to build and then reposition the tortoises underneath the board. Should hopefully work out ok.

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 12

Had to go to London yesterday and between meetings in the morning I had 30 mins to go to Chalk Farm and get some prototype information.

Apart from people wondering why I was taking pictures, (and there may have been many thoughts going through their heads.....) and the cold N wind, it was fun to do.

Unfortunately pictures were hard to get - the Pembroke Castle pub wasn't open and getting a view of the bridge mountings was close to impossible. I did take some notes and I think I have a good idea of how to represent them. Similar to the mountings that Jim S-W etched for BNS on p 33 of his thread.

post-10140-0-70983600-1354964847_thumb.jpg

Attempts at a close up zoom holding the camera above the wall were a waste of disc space. And must have looked decidedly odd to any passers by.

post-10140-0-04477100-1354966006.jpg

The Pembroke pub on the corner:

post-10140-0-64123500-1354965390_thumb.jpg

I have plenty of photos of the back of this, which was the backdrop to the turntable, and the site an interesting incident where a driving error caused a loco to overshoot the turntable and bury its tender in the cellar of the Pembroke. The fire was thrown out, the boiler filled with water, the tender drawbar was burned through and the tender left there (under police guard to prevent pilfering). The loco was then moved into the shed to cool down - all so that the turntable could be back in service, for without this the shed was at a standstill. The tender was retrieved some time later and the wall hastily bricked up.

Iain

• Like 1

A bit more done today. I've done a lot of clearing up after the epic bout of wiring over the last few weeks (how many pieces of stripped insulation can there be in the world?), then a fair bit of planning and cutting out pieces of scrap ply/mdf/card to represent buildings and structures, to see how it will all fit together before cutting lots of expensive plasticard.

I've also started a thread about some of the locos I've modified to represent some of the motive power that will be on the layout.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65335-motive-power-for-camden-shed/

These were all built about 2 years ago.

Iain

• Like 1

Hi

Just found this thread and am most impressed by your progress. I shall be keeping a beady eye on your progress with great interest. I especially like the Regent's Park Road bridge.

Glad too that you found inspiration from Vincent Worthington's epic model. fabulous isn't it?

Also very pleased to see that John T of Huntingdonshire says he too, is modelling the WCML but further north. (let's face it, almost everywhere on the WCML is further north than Camden!!) Looking forward to learning more of his progress too. I was afraid for a while that I was ploughing a bit of a lonely furrow with my model of Hest bank, but it looks as if there are some other guys out there of like mind after all.

Best wishes

Terry D

• Like 1

Thanks both.

The WCML seems to have a lot to catch up given the remarkable number of grand and impressive ECML creations, but I suppose there is Preston in P4, Carlisle, Tring (did I remember that right?) and Camden Bank (that's Mr Worthington's stunning EM gauge portrayal of the whole run from Hampstead Road all the way up the bank to the north end of the shed, not my tiny approximation of the shed only!). Any others I missed?

I have a massive amount to learn and do before mine can be considered in an adjacent galaxy to some of these.

Iain

• Like 2

Thanks both.

The WCML seems to have a lot to catch up given the remarkable number of grand and impressive ECML creations, but I suppose there is Preston in P4, Carlisle, Tring (did I remember that right?) and Camden Bank (that's Mr Worthington's stunning EM gauge portrayal of the whole run from Hampstead Road all the way up the bank to the north end of the shed, not my tiny approximation of the shed only!). Any others I missed?

I have a massive amount to learn and do before mine can be considered in an adjacent galaxy to some of these.

Iain

Now I think about it, there was a massive P4 WCML layout in New Zealand being built by a Bill Richmond (if I recall correctly) which appeared in MRJ some years ago. It was set in c. 1939 and covered a sizeable chunk of the southern end, including Euston in truncated form, Tring cutting and c. Don't know how far it's progressed since then, but I would like to know. The standard of modelling was very impressive, but the only worry I had was that there were cobwebs in some of the photos. Had anything run for a while?

Does anyone know any more of this project?

Terry D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Going back a couple of posts, there are (or were) also the stunning models of both Oxenholme and Tebay as well.

Love what you are doing here Iain; even at this early stage, it is quite obvious that it is a winner.

• Like 4

...and then you go and produce such an exquisite component as that bridge support! (an item most people probably don't even realise exists, let alone be able to spot on the model!!)

We can all be inspired by and learn from each other it seems.

Hope such details don't take TOO long to make mind - I'm looking forward to seeing 46256 topping Camden bank with 15 on (and no banker!) :mosking:

• Like 2

Genuinely didn't take long to do the two I made last night. 30 mins once I'd had the bits laser cut yesterday morning. I only need two more, neither of which will be very visible on the other side of the bridge. I'm beginning to think that with a bit of tidying up, some heavy bolt detail on the mounting plates, these will paint and weather up ok.

The plan is to make the scenic bit of the north end so that a few trains may be photographed running under the bridge while the rest of the layout is still embryonic, so 46256 will certainly appear, and hopefully soon. 15 on, well, maybe stationary it might work, but the traction on the Hornby Duchess is nothing like a Bachmann 9F which would pull 20 plus probably. Especially with the mods I made to it.

Iain

• Like 3

Now I think about it, there was a massive P4 WCML layout in New Zealand being built by a Bill Richmond (if I recall correctly) which appeared in MRJ some years ago. It was set in c. 1939 and covered a sizeable chunk of the southern end, including Euston in truncated form, Tring cutting and c. Don't know how far it's progressed since then, but I would like to know. The standard of modelling was very impressive, but the only worry I had was that there were cobwebs in some of the photos. Had anything run for a while?

Does anyone know any more of this project?

Terry D

I believe that Bill Richmond passed away a couple of years ago. AFAIK nothing has appeared in the UK magazines about his layout for some time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Iain

What material were trying to cut? Romark is the plastic that York Models and Jonathan Buckie (Great Shefford) use. The useful sizes are 0.75, 1.0 and 1.5 mm. 2 mm MDF is brilliant for all sorts of general items while for really thin stuff we are now using 0.25 and 0.5 mm phenolic impregnated paper. The phenolic paper is great because you do not get a charred edge. See my layout thread for examples of stuff we have laser cut.

Dave

• Like 3

Dave,

I'm not certain - I asked one of the guys at work to see what they could do with what they had available.

Thanks v much for the advice though. I haven't decided whether to try again yet. The card ones are a little marked in colour but the thickness and shape are good. They would be heavily weathered in any event, so that might not matter.

Iain

• Like 1

Going back a couple of posts, there are (or were) also the stunning models of both Oxenholme and Tebay as well.

Tebay was built by the Shipley club abd featured in an early BRM video, I also remember weeing a 4mm model on public display of Berkhampstead station, but, I can't remember whereit was.

Ian

• Like 1

A little more experimentation on the bridge mountings: short lengths of 0.7mm brass rod to represent bolts, and plasticard nuts, one of which is shown on its own.

post-10140-0-12130000-1355441068.jpg

post-10140-0-49745100-1355441124_thumb.jpg

Big meccano in real life..... 2" thick bolts and 5" nuts.

Given this is going to be significantly hidden under the bridge girder, behind part of the brickwork and covered in soot and grime, I might continue with the experiment for the time being.

Iain

• Like 7

Tebay was built by the Shipley club abd featured in an early BRM video, I also remember weeing a 4mm model on public display of Berkhampstead station, but, I can't remember whereit was.

Ian

Yes, I have seen the Shipley lads' model of Tebay too and in many ways it was very good; I spent a happy hour or two at Warley some years back when it was exhibited there. Don't know who built Oxenholme but I have a suspicion it might have been shown at the Wigan show. I do have a recollection that my old friend Tony Wright, who built my model of City of Nottingham, photographed it on Oxenholme, but any more than that I can't recall.

As regards Berkhamsted, that was a very substantial model which appeared in RM about 1990 built (IIRC) by someone called Oakes. I understood that it was on public show in Bowness on Windermere, but when I was on holiday in the Lake District a year or so later, I made enquiries about it only to find out that it was no longer on display. Very disappointed.

Terry D

• Like 1

Genuinely didn't take long to do the two I made last night. 30 mins once I'd had the bits laser cut yesterday morning. I only need two more, neither of which will be very visible on the other side of the bridge. I'm beginning to think that with a bit of tidying up, some heavy bolt detail on the mounting plates, these will paint and weather up ok.

The plan is to make the scenic bit of the north end so that a few trains may be photographed running under the bridge while the rest of the layout is still embryonic, so 46256 will certainly appear, and hopefully soon. 15 on, well, maybe stationary it might work, but the traction on the Hornby Duchess is nothing like a Bachmann 9F which would pull 20 plus probably. Especially with the mods I made to it.

Iain

Yes, I too take my hat off to you for the lovely work on bridge supports etc. First class modelling.

I also echo your sentiments regarding the traction capability of the Hornby Duchess (of which I have several). I have ballasted a couple of them with extra lead which has brought them up to the haulage standard of their Britannia, but even so, the best haulers on Hest Bank have proved to be old Hornby Dublo (scale wheeled), DJH kit built with D11 motors and various old HD bodyshells with scratch brass chassis and XO4 motors (in that order). Pity really, because the general standrad of detail and finish of the Hornby model (apart from the trailing truck on the earlier versions) have been very good, but I would like them to manage more than 10!

Terry D

• Like 2

Thanks Terry. I haven't added any extra weight to 46256 yet, but ought to. As I remember from when it was being built, there is plenty of room.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma about what I do with the scenic bits on the north east side i.e. if you sat on the turntable and looked across the mainlines. Primrose Hill station building is prominent and has some characteristic shapes which I feel need to be part of the backdrop. I can get the building and the bridge almost completely if slightly condensed. I was planning to integrate the other side of the station building somehow into the retaining wall that is really just a bit further down Camden Bank. But that is the difficult bit.....

Here is an aerial view of the bridge and the remains of the station building from maps:

post-10140-0-46635100-1355601431_thumb.jpg

The 4 mainlines I have completed run through about 2/3 of the bridge span nearest the shed. There should then be a couple of goods lines and finally one that runs under the station building. I can represent that bit....

Like Gordon, I just left it be today and went out to play golf instead!

Iain

• Like 3

There are some very good pics on here:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/primrose_hill/index.shtml

Including this one:

post-10140-0-43335200-1355649963.jpg

Below is a very quick sketch of what I know I could include:

post-10140-0-46216500-1355650020_thumb.jpg

The dilemma is how to merge that into a retaining wall.....

Or do I bin that idea, and attempt to represent the side of Camden Goods Shed further down, and somehow get a very good backscene done....

Any views most welcome!

Iain

• Like 5

After a good deal of deliberation, I'm coming to the conclusion that I ought to stick more to the prototype, even though it will create problems to make a plausible backscene.

If I model the station building in low relief at the north end and the side of the goods shed in low relief at the south end, that will leave an area in the middle where there isn't enough room to have much in the way of structures (one reason why the initial plan was always to use the ubiquitous retaining wall). There are, however, some characteristic shapes in the skyline, such as the roundhouse, which could be made into a silhouette-type backscene without requiring Leonardo da Vinci to put in an unexpected appearance.

I'll do a dry run and see how it looks.

Iain

• Like 2

Eureka moment!

Just chatting to one of the electricians at work. His hobby is painting landscapes and buildings, and he's pretty good - lots of commissioned work. No idea why I didn't think of speaking to him before. He's going to do the backscene for me so that will make things a lot better.

Iain

Edited by 92220
  • Like 3