Camden Shed

Thanks Simon, that's really helpful.

From various photos, including this one courtesy of dubdee on Flickr,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8755708@N07/7281726976/lightbox/

I'm thinking that the front windows (reduced height ones) would be 2 or is it 3 panes deep, and 3 wide? The other boxes would appear to be 3 wide? End windows of Camden no. 1 seem to be 3 wide and 4 deep like the other examples?

If you know of any other type 13 boxes with a similar extension, let me know.

Many thanks,

Iain

• Like 1

Iain,

I have just noticed a photo on page 66 of LNWR Portrayed showing Euston No.1 signal box. There are canopies over four of the seven sliding windows, probably the same as on the Camden box. The canopies are the full width of the sliding section window and it's fixed counterpart and appear to have miniature pointed LNWR valances along the front and ends.

Jol

• Like 2

Iain

Good to see the progress you are making and also to see your very nice model of 46256. Puts mine to shame. It also puts a question into my mind (since I built 46256 and 46257 is on the way; how do you get the trailing pony wheels to clear the frame extensions and not short out? Can't figure that one out!

Best

Terry

Thanks Jol. P66 in the Jack Nelson book?

Simon (bescotbeast) has found some really useful drawings and photos as well. I think I have a very clear idea now of the LMS type 13 Camden no1 box at the top of the bank by the goods depot building. I might need to get some windows etched though: it will take me ages to make them from plastic strip, and they need to look perfectly square too. I'm sure the best way to do the LNWR type 5 box at the entrance to the goods yard is to take two LRM kits and go from there.

Terry - thanks. There are some better pictures of 46256 in my motive power thread as well. Basically I did it by gradually filing down the frame extensions until there was just enough clearance for the trailing truck wheels. It might have been as easy to make them from black plasticard?

Iain

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

Progress on the roofing looks great !!

Remember the detail associated with the LNWR signal box and the awning at the cabin window, maybe this is the requirement. While not the same cabin, the man and the flag is the need.

post-11084-0-27689400-1365504446.jpg

• Like 2

Would believe it - LNWR Portrayed by Jack Nelson - was on eBay on the 6th of April !!

found a copy of Richard D Foster - LNWR Signalling, fantastic, you were right Jol, a wealth of information, went back over my previous posts and updated them (August 2014) for the benefit of others.

Edited by 1BCamden

Hi Iain,

Progress on the roofing looks great !!

Remember the detail associated with the LNWR signal box and the awning at the cabin window, maybe this is the requirement. While not the same cabin, the man and the flag is the need.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There's a modelling challenge. The window slides open, the signalman leans out and waves the flag.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Regarding painting brickwork, as a starting point I now use spray cans of Halfords primer as the first layer. Red oxide for red brick and grey for engineering blue. Then for the blue brick I use a second coat of BR blue/grey roof colour from Railmatch. This gets you a good (and quick) start on painting large areas. The use of these three basic cans also helps to get colour matches between projects.

One the basic base colour is on, I then use the same small collection of colours to add colour variation, staining and mortar (these are generally applied brighter than required so that sbtle tones are not lost when knocking the colours back later). There's no straight black or white in this collection but Cream, Paynes Grey, Sap Creen, Burnt Sienna and a couple of shades of burnt / raw Umber and Ochre. Once dry I find a wash of thin grey / brown helps unify the various areas of a model.  

To knock the colours further back I use a few grey shades from a box of cheap weathering powders.

I'm not sure about the exact mixtures or colour rations as I generally make it all up as I go along but my advice would be to use the same base coats and then the same small collection of colours to finish off. This helps acheive the same look but achieve the natural variation within and between brickwork.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Lovely work on the goods shed Iain, I really love the way you've created the inlaid brickwork and skylights.

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks Simon.

There hasn't been a lot of progress in the last month - a mixture of work and filling up free time with helping our older son revise for his IB exams, plus a bit of golf thrown in. I have built the first two turnouts for the scenic side, including wiring and painting them. But errrr..... that's it.

Hope the backscene artist will have completed his stuff in the next couple of weeks as I can't really finish the station and goods yard boards until he has. I need to pick up a couple of LNWR type 4 signal boxes from London Road Models at Expo EM as well.

Iain

• Like 2

I have only just discovered this thread/layout, but it is lovely to see someone else modelling an very urban location in the 60's.

The buildings look great, as does the whole layout, as well as the linked thread on your rolling stock.

Nice to see 2ManySpams advice on here, his 'Diesels in the Duchy' has been a great inspiration for scratch building of buildings, as has Geoff Taylor, who I see you have also investigated.

I saw your questions about acrylic vs. enamel earlier in the thread, and I know different people have loves for each. I am definitely someone who loves enamels, and have posted a little on my layout thread (Ellerby) about painting, but would say that you can't go wrong following the advice of 2ManySpams.

Are you using 'Wills' arches on your buildings? They look familiar. Also nice to see you using thin ply as a frame for some of the models.

There are also some great reference photos on the thread, from the many people who have contributed, especially to see the kind of rubbish that collected at the sides of the tracks, as well as the buildings and rolling stock.

I will follow this with a lot of interest.

Jamie

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie, very kind.

I did indeed use a couple of the Wills arches for the station building. They aren't quite perfectly representative but the compromise was needed as there is no way I could have made these look plausible from scratch.

Hope to be able to provide more of interest soon.

Iain

• Like 1

I have used the Wills arches quite a lot, especially with an arch supported water tower. They were not quite right for that either, but as I needed 24 x 1 inch diameter (ish) arches, plus 4 wide, ones, making all those from scratch would have taken ages, and while I am still learning such skills, would not have looked as good as the Wills ones.

I also found that if you split the wide Wills ones down to two bricks across, you can score, or nick the joins and so make a wider (or narrower, maybe) arch. I did that to make the brickwork at the edge of a couple of double tunnel entrances.

I have also found that they can be glued in place, with an overhang and then filed (Dremeled) back to make a nice edge. That worked better than pre-cutting them, as they fitted better in the resulting arch. (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby/) posts 6 and 38/39 if it is of any interest.

The other thing that I have found very useful is Humbrol plastic filler, to run into the joins where brick cards don't quite join, or to add a little lime deposit. I mix it with Mek (on the brush) to make it runnier, otherwise it dries very quickly, and can be a bit hard to handle in time. It it fills some of the brick mortar, you can always scrape it out, or just leave it for a 'solid' weathering.

The thing I have found with a lot of things in railway modelling is that there is scratch building at one end, and everything out of the box at the other, but there is a large space between of detailing and 'kit bashing' things to get a nice representation of what you want, with out having to get every brick, rivet, or step exactly to scale.

I do still find my self looking at 2ManySpams layout though, to see how high the barrier in model making can be raised. That as well as some of the P4, EM, and exhibition layouts around.

Looking forward to you next updates.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

An update on recent progress, which has stalled a little, partly because I took the chance to visit Expo EM and Railex the last two Sundays, and well worth it too. All sorts of positive comments abound in their respective threads, and I can't add a lot to those except to say that they are exceptionally good exhibitions, and I'm lucky to live close enough to attend both.

It was also great to meet up with a few helpful and friendly people I knew from before, among them Mike (Stationmaster), Tim and Mike Delamar, but also to meet several for the first time.

Jason (Sandside) - good luck for the move and keep up the inspiration for the rest of us.

Vincent Worthington - if you don't know what he's done, find a back copy of MRJ 172 and marvel at his portrayal of the whole of Camden Bank in EM, right the way from the station throat at Euston to Regents Park Road bridge. Vincent was very helpful and encouraging, and has offered all sorts of further assistance.

Jol (LNWRmodeller) - it was a pleasure to see London Road and to be able to thank you in person for the help you've given already. I bought the two LNWR signal box kits and as you will see in a moment, I've begun to make something from them.

Roy Jackson - Vincent introduced me to Roy and I spent a few minutes talking with him which was a great pleasure.

Mick Moore and Geoff Kent were also very kind in giving up their time and advice.

Where else can you meet the best in their field and have the benefit of such advice and interest?

So, on to building.....

I need to make both the signal boxes described in the preceding couple of pages, and have started both together. Not because they are the same - they are completely different - but because I can weld bits together and leave to completely harden before the next stage, while I attack the other box.

The LNWR box just south of the road bridge utilises two LRM kits on a brick base made from plasticard. The LMS type 13 ARP box is just plasticard.

Below are the basic shells, showing the need to marry the two etched LRM kits together. I need about 1.7 boxes but also had to go on sketchy info plus the background in the Richard Foster book.

post-10140-0-07773800-1369777786_thumb.jpg

Then, a couple more photos of further progress - these are need various other layers adding plus filler, detailing etc.

post-10140-0-87028800-1369777933_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-26412100-1369777963_thumb.jpg

The locking room doorway of the LNWR box needs a slightly arched top. Still trying to work out the way the stairs work on the ARP box.

And two shots of the ARP box sitting roughly in place on the backscene board next to the goods depot. (Though the backscene board is off the layout and on the FY...)

post-10140-0-23923100-1369778225_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-89273700-1369778245_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Was great to meet you Iain, I only wish I had time to take you up on your kind offer of a trip to Camden-in-Berkshire but alas, move day has approached too fast; two days left before I become a Cumbrian exile in Yorkshire, at least my accent won't stand out so much !

Inspiration flows both ways here as I have a signal box to build. Going off your buildings to date, yours will be one to look to for tips.

Cheers,

Jason

Was great to meet you Iain, I only wish I had time to take you up on your kind offer of a trip to Camden-in-Berkshire but alas, move day has approached too fast; two days left before I become a Cumbrian exile in Yorkshire, at least my accent won't stand out so much !

Inspiration flows both ways here as I have a signal box to build. Going off your buildings to date, yours will be one to look to for tips.

Cheers,

Jason

There's a lot to be said for a move to Yorkshire Jason. Us Yorkshire folk are very proud of our county and I'll bet you'll have many a happy hour "round our way".

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom

• RMweb Premium

It is a lovely county Sean, almost as nice as Cumbria :D

This (converted) stone built mill is basically what I will see if I look right from the kitchen window; inspiration on the doorstep for future 4mm builds :)

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/the_mill_the_locks_bingley_bd16_4bg_97073578040224306.jpg

Wow. That's some inspiration!

Looks to be somewhere in West Yorkshire but I won't put you on the spot to say exactly where.

As for Cumbria, I spent my work placement there when I was at college in the late 90's and I have to agree, it's a beautiful part of the world!

Anywho, apologies Iain, I appear to have diverted slightly off topic.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Signal boxes looking good, interesting how the size of the LNWR box compares to the ARP box. Yes both boxes are sketchy, but I think you are very close at the moment, and Roy and Vincent must of installed some major levels of motivation into you !! so full steam ahead ?

PS found a really good plan for the turntable.

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 1

Thanks Stanley. I think I'm going to be expedient with the turntable and butcher a peco one. The Metalsmith C&S 70' one isn't available yet and although I might be able to scratchbuild something it does need to work as well!

Iain

• Like 1