Camden Shed

Thanks, you're very generous. Definitely not the first try though! I've been through a load of off cuts to practise some techniques and so on.

I especially like Jason' mortar technique because you can just wash it off each time you get it wrong. In fact I'm sure I'm not even doing it the way he suggested in the end, probably more of a wash that settles into the courses.

Iain

Hi Iain,

the Primrose Hill Station building is looking fantastic, you are really getting the true feel of it with your colour choice, I've be trying to find a shot that really shows off the 'bricked up' access way from the booking hall to the main Euston line platform footbridge which was removed long before the thirties. But it's just not showing up, even the the shots I took when I was there a couple of years back didn't pick it up, guess it must be under a couple of mill of soot.

I usually check your posts pretty regularly, so let me know if there is any detail shots you need, you wouldn't believe how many I've got, except for the rail side shot of the passenger engine shed of course, which are the hardest to find.

Best regards,

Stanley

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 1

Hi Stanley,

Thanks very much indeed. Anything at all that you have and are able to share would be hugely appreciated. I've done a fair bit of research including visiting the NRM archive, and have accumulated a collection of prints and digital images, as well as a good number of magazine articles with info and photos. At the moment, once I've completed this section, I'll be continuing to try to get detailed info on

-the signals and trackside details (I'm aware that I've got to adjust these in light of the fact that my track plan is simplified and as yet doesn't include the electrified slow lines)

-the signal box at the SE end just by the footbridge to Camden Goods Depot

-the footbridge itself, and

-the side of the goods depot building.

As you rightly say, the east side of the engine shed adjacent to the mainlines is very elusive. I may have to end up guessing a bit on that, but obviously would prefer not to! I'm a fair way off building that though, so have time to find whatever might be out there.

Greatly appreciate your help and interest.

Best wishes,

Iain

• Like 1

These two sites: http://www.abandoned-stations.org.uk/Primrose_Hill_station.html and http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/primrose_hill/index.shtml have several photos.

The latter shows this pic:

post-10140-0-24440700-1361566855.jpg

Giving an indication of how the station used to be in the early 20th C. The Euston line platform footbridge is visible in full.

This snap, taken at the end of last year, just about shows where that footbridge joined the building, but I only twigged what to look for when you mentioned it. I don't think I'll try to replicate that area as it will look out of place. I've also now worked out why there is a great big steel embedded in the W wall of the station building.

post-10140-0-94354300-1361567629_thumb.jpg

Iain

• Like 3

End of play today:

post-10140-0-14198500-1361567940_thumb.jpg

I've added the cabling along the bridge from 32/0.2 wire, stripped and painted. Brackets from 0.45 wire. 2 coats of grey. No weathering yet, and need to do the concrete on the bridge piers and other bits and pieces, plus the road and pavements. A lot of fiddling around moving from one thing to another while paint dries. Maybe I should get into acrylics.....

post-10140-0-73309300-1361568363_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-46818100-1361568763_thumb.jpg

I have got to sort out better lighting and pictures.... Sorry.

Iain

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That looks fantastic. As for acrylics, I have tried them and for painting plastic, really don't like it as it dries too quickly and doesn't seem to thin as well as enamel(although that could just be me being thick). I do use them for painting the paper slates though, ad well as the Howard Scenics cobbles.

• Like 1

Hi Ian, sorry if it confuses you but I prefere Acrylics, but that is probably A, because I am used to them now, and B, because I normally have to work in an unventilated room.

Whichever you choose to use I am sure you will do an excellent job.

All the best, Andy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is really good.

where did you get a drawing of the bridge from?

philbax

Hi

Thanks!

I drew the bridge up myself from measurements on site, photos that I purchased, searched for and took myself, and then scaled it to fit the model, which is compressed a little. I wanted to retain the shape and appearance but make it a bit smaller basically.

For those who saw my half baked idea for half relief vans http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68785-half-relief-vans-for-a-backscene/ I moved the entire layout an inch or so away from the wall, (so it is now hard up against the other wall!) and restarted the scenic extension boards at the back yesterday. There is now enough room for a full line of vans going into the goods depot, and a bit more space for the station buildings. I also was able to redo the shape of the DC line under the station so it didn't curve away quite so sharply.

I hope it will come together neatly enough. And soon.....

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy rain today so golf cancelled and a couple of hours free to continue with building.

Here are the first few steps in building the side of Camden Goods Depot

I decided to build a shell in ply, with an overlay of mdf to give the relief, then to skin in plasticard. Hoping that this would give enough rigidity for such a long building and - it's just over 1000mm.

post-10140-0-44009700-1363523182_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-69376800-1363523372_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-08669900-1363523209_thumb.jpg

Several more repetitions to go.....!

Iain

• Like 13

After seemingly hundreds of strips of 12 courses (stretcher at the bottom), 3 courses (2 headers and a stretcher) 5 courses (3h and 2s), 1 course of headers etc etc.... I'm getting closer.

Here is where I got to at the end of yesterday evening:

post-10140-0-94105100-1363637850_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-87528800-1363637860_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-46028200-1363637868_thumb.jpg

21 done, 4 more bays to go, then the side is ready for a bit of filler to tidy it up.

Iain

• Like 18

Iain

I don't know if you have access to a iPad running IOS 6.0 or later, if so you might be interested to know that the Primrose Hill Bridge is now rendered in 3d on iMaps as is the run up from Euston. Its not perfect but its also not awful and might help a little. St Pancras is very very well rendered for those wishing to upstage our friend in Spain creating Manchester Central.

• Like 2

Just had a quick look at that, thanks for the tip - it's been upgraded recently hasn't it?

I've got the bridge about as far as I can realistically now, only completing the road and painting to finish. But for the backscene and, in time, for the backs of the houses on Gloucester Road, the iMaps 3d will be very useful. Thanks.

Iain

• Like 2

Another hour sneaked in and the basis of the brickwork is complete.

Put in place next to the backscene with a line of vans, it gives some idea of what I'm trying to achieve

post-10140-0-40584100-1363856141_thumb.jpg

post-10140-0-52322000-1363856148_thumb.jpg

Just managed to snap the last couple of coaches of an up express as it begins the descent of the bank down to Euston

post-10140-0-21963400-1363856159_thumb.jpg

The prototype is visible in a couple of pics from dubdee on Flickr: this pic of 46240 with the goods depot in the background

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8755708@N07/7281727000/lightbox/

And this of the same subject at a different angle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8755708@N07/7281726976/lightbox/

I have 4-5 other views in purchased prints but I can't share them

I'm trying to work out various details:

What material is the roof? (Doesn't seem to be slate, would certainly make it easier to model if corrugated sheet! Is that likely?)

Are there skylights? (Looks like most of the top half of the roof pitch is skylight: there probably ought to be some there, but I can't be certain)

What are the two large diameter diagonal pipes (one only visible in the dubdee shot)?

There are handrails up there - presumably for some kind of walkway?

Any help as ever is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Iain

• Like 8

hi Iain, looking good !!

photos as promised, the print quality is a little poor, but they show up the coping, and colour well.

best regards

post-11084-0-26948500-1363941760_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-53510800-1363942092.jpg

post-11084-0-27135800-1363942247_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-49056700-1363942261_thumb.jpg

post-11084-0-86734300-1363942303.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 9

The LMS ARP Cabin is difficult to find, and as it was constructed after 1936 (just pre WWII) which is my Camden layout period,

I never worried about it too much, guess you wouldn't want this one ?

Great isn't it, this is Camden Goods Yard about 1935

LNWR Overhead Cabin (type 4) CAMDEN No.1, 1905, replaced by an LMS 'ARP' (your) cabin

best regards

post-11084-0-58772200-1363943782.jpg

post-11084-0-68621800-1408844060_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 2

Hi Iain,

an unusual angle of the signal box, plus another shot of the goods depot -

interesting that the goods station wall isn't as uniform as we think, just to the left of the intercity tin can

best regards

post-11084-0-48019700-1363945891.jpg

post-11084-0-44484700-1363945906_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 7

Many thanks indeed Stanley, very kind and helpful. I've got a few of these but the shots of 45597, DP2 and 46205 are all new to me.

I think that old view of the old iron framed signal box at the entrance to the goods yard is wonderful - was it replaced or converted to a brick base? I need to do more research probably.

The 1960's signal box (which I think might be Camden Goods yard or no.2?) is visible in this shot from 53A models here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/2428949464/lightbox/

post-10140-0-24982500-1363961803_thumb.jpg

But that is the only view I can find so far. It may be some sort of generic design of box that I can copy.

The more modern box (Camden no.1??) at the top of the bank by the S end of the goods depot building is also a bit elusive but I think I have enough to go on, just about. Mind you, more detail would always be helpful!

I have a fair bit of detail to add to the depot side wall - there is that odd looking extra buttress halfway up the wall and a few grills, vents or small windows, plus some cabling and the two very prominent diagonal pipes. Then three signs top centre - Camden Goods Depot flanked by two British Railways signs.

Thanks as ever for your help and please do feel free to add pictures or information at any time.

Iain

• Like 1

Hi Iain,

there where actually four (4) signal boxes in this area, however I am still learning the types and details also, maybe Peter J Coster or Vincent Worthington could add some clarity if we rave on long enough, but it must be said that the feedback and collective knowledge from within RMweb is amazing as I am realising just following your thread, later sorted and edited thanks to Richard D Foster, LNWR SIgnalling.

So the signal box story is sort of like this, from the Camden bank end a LMS ARP type - Camden No.1, located adjacent to the fast up line about half way (40chains) along the Camden Goods Station (depot) building, there was a siding line running between it and the depot - reference LMS Engine Sheds volume one (a must have book for this layout). This replaced the earlier LNWR type 4 overhead cabin that was probably removed prior to WWII and your layout period.

Near the Primrose Hill Station was another LNWR type 5 (size G) - Camden Yard, which is in your layout period, appears to be of a standard arrangement, except the locking room appears narrower than the cabin. The Metcalfe PO233 kit delivers a good mock up for a scratch built layout item, although there are a couple of specific details (like the cabin window awning) which would need additional research.

The last one was on the other side of the bridge at the original up fast 'flyover' again it appears a standard LNWR type 4 - Camden No.2, of which I have some photographs.

As you may have noticed i'm unsure of the signal box names and numbers, maybe somebody can tag them for us.

Regarding the depot building wall, yes over the years there has been all sorts of things along it, the 'diagonal pipes' appeared originally to be wall mounted crane/davit arrangements, however more information (photos) they appear to be vents or later flue stacks, of which there where possibly two (2) However the wider buttress and the wall mounted cranes may not be related.

Was the wider buttress incorporating a flue stack, I'm not sure, but will check it out.

You are right, there where vents/ducts some running at an angle.

The small windows, again unsure, but will check it out.

The signage has changed a number of times, it depends on the date.

I will post photograph cropped detail sections where possible, in an attempt not to upset the owners, also and acknowledging that you have the main lines 'down' have you got a copy of the 1950 track plan, for the shed layout, I'll post it if you are considering getting carried away.

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 1

An edited (cut and paste) plan of the shed in 1950, as shown in BRILL 1995, and LMS Engine Sheds (volume one) 1981. Camden 1B Motive Power Depot (engine shed) track layout

post-11084-0-85155700-1364003216_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1BCamden
  • Like 1