Fastest 50s

brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

When searching for the speed log for 55004 posted separately, I also came across a log of the fastest run I recorded behind a Class 50, namely 50042 from Reading to Paddington on 14.15 Oxford - Paddington on 19 November 1983 with load 8 Mk2e. The run was achieved in 25m57s. The platforms used, P5 at Reading and P8 at Paddington, obviously helped but at that time you were lucky to get out of Reading straight into the up fast with a loco, Reading PSB usually seemed to send you up the slow at least as far as Ruscombe to let an HST overtake.

What impressed was sustained running at over 100mph from West Waltham to Acton Yard and a max of 106 at Ealing Broadway, slowing to 84mph for the 85mph speed restriction at Acton Main Line.

post-3868-0-30711600-1329731762_thumb.jpg

A Reading driver friend of mine used to enjoy telling me how a 50 would easily get to RDG from PAD in 25mins (as opposed to a 47, being his point). With no TPWS/OTMR/ATP the scope for some creative driving was always there and could be used to claw back minutes of a delay.. Nowadays, dropping calling points seems to be weapon of choice.

• RMweb Gold

Alas I think with a 'Hoover' (Class 50)you would always be a bit constrained because you simply pulled the handle back and let the electronics do the rest whereas a Brush 4 (Class 47) had to be driven to squeeze the best performance out of it. Incidentally I reckon that the train in the log above actually dropped some potential time east of Acton - perfectly ok, even with a decent vac braked train, to run past Old Oak East at linespeed (85) and hit the 60 at Ladbroke Grove spot on with a rising brake and then hold the 60 right up to braking for the 40.

Interesting log Andrew ;)

Am I right in thinking this was on a (presumably busy) Saturday...? Reason I ask is four days later on the 23rd, 50 041 came a cropper at Paddington with the Up Sleeper and I'm certain it was on a Wednesday.

Our drivers at Old Oak were known for thrashing the 50s at every given opportunity, which was fine so long as they were in good fettle (the 50s, not the drivers!).

• RMweb Premium

A Reading driver friend of mine used to enjoy telling me how a 50 would easily get to RDG from PAD in 25mins (as opposed to a 47, being his point). With no TPWS/OTMR/ATP the scope for some creative driving was always there and could be used to claw back minutes of a delay.. Nowadays, dropping calling points seems to be weapon of choice.

I've had quite a few 25 mins FROM Padd TO RDG - it's much easier on the down because it is (was?) a faster run into Platform 4 at Reading than negotiating the Paddington throat. UP into Padd was more difficult - on departing RDG you first had to cross over onto the up fast and then slow down earlier arriving at Padd.

Interesting log Andrew ;)

Am I right in thinking this was on a (presumably busy) Saturday...? Reason I ask is four days later on the 23rd, 50 041 came a cropper at Paddington with the Up Sleeper and I'm certain it was on a Wednesday.

Our drivers at Old Oak were known for thrashing the 50s at every given opportunity, which was fine so long as they were in good fettle (the 50s, not the drivers!).

Yes it would have been a Saturday - I would have been at work during the week.

I'd forgotten 50041's derailment was shortly after, although I remember making a special trip up to town to see it, having got a phone call at work to tell me all about it.

I've had quite a few 25 mins FROM Padd TO RDG - it's much easier on the down because it is (was?) a faster run into Platform 4 at Reading than negotiating the Paddington throat. UP into Padd was more difficult - on departing RDG you first had to cross over onto the up fast and then slow down earlier arriving at Padd.

Yes it would have been a Saturday - I would have been at work during the week.

I'd forgotten 50041's derailment was shortly after, although I remember making a special trip up to town to see it, having got a phone call at work to tell me all about it.

Cheers Andrew. I was there that day at Paddington when '41 derailed, about twenty minutes after it had happened, on my way to Old Oak for the early shed turn - seems like only yesterday in some ways.

• RMweb Gold

Very definitely so - coming through the crossover onto the Up Main Through at Reading from No.5 was not a quick business with the whole train through it before being able to open up whereas the Down approach was only limited by the linespeed which although comparatively low was twice the speed of the crossover. A clear run HST could manage sub 24 minutes to Reading given a clear run, especially a clear run in - with R28 at New Jcn being better known to most Drivers as 'stop all junction' (on one occasion the Royal Train was brought to a stand there leading to a semi-serious suggestion that the signal should be given a plaque stating 'Queen Elizabeth II slept here').

That was a very good run Brushman!

There was one Vac in particular that was a wild beast as it supposedly had an uprated power unit. I seem to remember it was 50038 but I could very well be wrong.

Doncaster works often used to find 50s that were producing around 3,000 hp when they were put in the test house.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Premium

There was one Vac in particular that was a wild beast as it supposedly had an uprated power unit. I seem to remember it was 50038 but I could very well be wrong.

I always understood that the power unit from DP2 was part of the pool of Class 50 power units and was fitted to several different 50s over the years. Whether it was higher rated than the standard power units and/or fitted to 50038 at some point I don't know.

After DP2 was scrapped it's power unit, serial number IH5567, was fitted in Jan 1971 to D417 at Crewe.

The power unit remained in D417 for exactly two years, untill it was called in for an intermediate overhaul.

After which the power unit emerged from Crewe in 50050 after an intermediate overhaul in May 1975.

In June 1979 50050 went in for an intermediate overhaul and surrendered it's power unit to 50049, which was also at Doncaster awaiting a new power unit. 50049 rolled out of the works in October 1979.

During July 1981 IH5567 failed in 50049. The locomotive was taken to Laira where the power unit was exchanged with that in 50009, which was due in for refurbishment. The dead 50009 and defective power unit were sent to Doncaster.

On Christmas eve 1981 50009 emerged from Doncaster with now repaired IH5567.

By October 1985 IH5567 had found it's way into 50016.

During September 1988 the engine was diagnosed as needing replacement pistons and liners so was dispatched to Crewe for overhaul.

In March 1989 50029, which had suffered a main generator failure, recieved the newly repaired IH5567 power unit.

In November of the same year 50029 was out of action once again with main generator problems. IH5567 was removed from the locomotive at this time.

In March 1990 IH5567 had ended up in 50037, which ran with it untill a connecting rod came through the side of the engine on 28th September 1990.

50037 was then taken to Laira where it was fitted with another power unit.

IH5567 was not repaired and was dumped in withdrawn 50016.

50016, complete with power unit IH5567, was cut up in June 1992 at Booth's in Rotherham.

Archived