Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

1 hour ago, D-A-T said:

Using a piercing saw is a skill I’ve yet to acquire. I can’t seem too control the blade, it wanders, it seems, at will. Current method is to get it to within a mm or so of my marking out and then resort to files and emery cloth. Envious of people who can get it virtually to the line. 

A lot depends on the “quality” of the blade. I have often found that some (even the Valorbe ones I tend to buy) refuse to cut along the plane of the frame, meaning the frame has to be held at an angle to the direction of cut. For me that is not usually a problem as the amount of correction required can be established as I make the cut towards the line I want to cut along, I also never cut immediately along the marked line as I prefer to tidy up with files.

Ian

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

A lot depends on the “quality” of the blade. I have often found that some (even the Valorbe ones I tend to buy) refuse to cut along the plane of the frame, meaning the frame has to be held at an angle to the direction of cut. For me that is not usually a problem as the amount of correction required can be established as I make the cut towards the line I want to cut along, I also never cut immediately along the marked line as I prefer to tidy up with files.

Ian

i agree with Ian. I also find some blades don't seem to have enough 'set' on them, making it difficult to cut round corners and curves. 

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s relatively easy to cut thick material such as these frames, with a combined thickness of 1.8mm.  I find that blades last for variable amounts of time. Most of these frames were cut out with one blade; like Ian I finish off with a file - large ones can shift metal quickly. 
After a day fiddling at Missenden I got the frames erected.

6C8E5633-AF25-4ED3-A407-AAB3802C5DC7.jpe

The two bits of brass tube with 14BA bolts through them acting as spacers are used to set up the frames: they have been used for the last 40 years on all my 2mm scale locos. The long rods are to check out the alignment through the axle holes.

5BF74A71-1299-47C9-9592-2405009B7161.jpe

The definitive spacers are double sided PCB soldered into place. 

BAF409C4-ABB8-445B-8962-AE5B99163B63.jpe

The springs and hangers are just about visible behind the wheels. A start has been made setting up some thick steel for the coupling rods: I like chunky valve gear, but I now need some new TC drills.

Tim

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

It was really interesting being able to watch the frames being made at Missenden, so quickly and with the sort of apparently effortless work that can be achieved by somebody who really knows what they are doing.

It was like having my own private demonstration.

Spending time with somebody like Tim is a great way to up the inspiration levels.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

One recent little job at Missenden was to cross pin the worm wheel on Tony’s lovely little Dean Goods (for Laurie’s layout). The gear was slipping on the muff. It was therefore cross drilled between two of the teeth with a 0.4mm drill. 
778EB78C-A5CB-4D93-9A55-1556C5DDF37D.jpeAfter drilling, some runny 24hr Araldite was run into the hole, followed by a piece of 0.3mm wire.

Seemed to run OK the next day when the adhesive had set. 

Tim

P.S.

I’m waiting for the dental jokes…

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The definitive spacers are double sided PCB soldered into place. 

BAF409C4-ABB8-445B-8962-AE5B99163B63.jpe

The springs and hangers are just about visible behind the wheels. A start has been made setting up some thick steel for the coupling rods: I like chunky valve gear, but I now need some new TC drills.

Tim

Stunning work Tim.  Like previous comments in awe of somebody who knows what they are doing and can get such a wonderful outcome.  Its a shame to hide it all behind the engine!

As a matter of interest are you using (driving) wheels from the 2mm shop or are these specially made/produced for the project?

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

These are the new pattern stainless steel 3DP Association wheels, Rich. I might thin the spokes down a bit from behind with a high speed hand piece and diamond burs.  The bogie and trailing wheels will be handmade so as to be accurate to prototype. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

I’m waiting for the dental jokes…

That's a b****y big handpiece!   You could have used a threaded Filpin and you wouldn't have needed the adhesive.  Of course you might then have had to adjust the occlusion if the pin ended up projecting into the interdental fissure.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

Good to see a solution for the loco Tony.  I'll have to come back to see it on Yeovil again.

On Laurie's behalf, I will say that I am sure you would be welcome any time you are in these parts.

The fix has certainly seemed to do the job. I picked up the wrong test track (N gauge (9mm) instead of 2mm (9.42mm)) so the wheels were a bit tight between the rails but the fix to the slipping gear held up very nicely. I had a good think about things and decided that they only two options were to try this or a complete strip down and rebuild. If this method had gone wrong, it would have needed a complete strip down and rebuild anyway, so it was worth chancing it to see if it worked.

The job was carried out by a very safe pair of hands. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

You will indeed, Kevin.  You will be most welcome.

What can I say to Tim and Tony but - A VERY BIG THANK YOU!  The loco is just beautiful, and before the slippage, ran beautifully with the new association gearbox and pulled well above its weight.  It will be perfectly at home on both the Durston and Weymouth lines, passenger and freight.  I'm a lucky boy - thank you again.

Laurie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, queensquare said:

The Prof under close observation!

Jerry

DA5BA139-2344-4055-8CDC-BC4E7193D525.jpeg.3859c6ea93fef37c7cb773c5e9988c09.jpeg

I take it that is the foreman and tea boy who are supervising.  They can't be council workers as they need at least three watching for every one working!

Jim

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have been giving some thought to the tube platform at YR, of late, Andy. However, this is currently in the big workshop. 
7920B2A9-7B21-4787-82C0-83EF3F68FFDF.jpe

(there’s info in the ME section of RMWEB). 

Once the weather gets colder I’ll be up in the 2mm scale workshop working on the skittle alley. 

Tim

• Like 6

On 12/10/2022 at 08:43, CF MRC said:

I have been giving some thought to the tube platform at YR, of late, Andy. However, this is currently in the big workshop. 
7920B2A9-7B21-4787-82C0-83EF3F68FFDF.jpe

(there’s info in the ME section of RMWEB). 

Once the weather gets colder I’ll be up in the 2mm scale workshop working on the skittle alley. 

Tim

do you ever think  you are spreading yourself too thinly ? ??

• Like 1