Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The Raven NER 4-6-2 class has now run as a 4-6-2, albeit with the radial trailing wheels bouncing along for the ride. They will need a proper truck to control them.  The handmade bogie wheels were worth the effort. 
A5B9B200-3A09-40E2-88CE-5B9A9D35736F.jpe

As ever, the phone picks up the noise of the mechanism rather well.  I have now sourced some 1/2” brass for the boiler; 3” of that should work wonders for adhesion.

Despite what some people say about them, I think that this engine will look rather elegant when complete. 

Tim

….it’s encouraging that yours do it as well Tim.

Run chassis and feel rather pleased that it seems reasonably quiet - film it on the phone and it sounds like a coffee grinder!!😊

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

….it’s encouraging that yours do it as well Tim.

Run chassis and feel rather pleased that it seems reasonably quiet - film it on the phone and it sounds like a coffee grinder!!😊

Jerry

Most of mine sound like a coffee grinder, then I film them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Part of the problem with these early running videos is that the locos are running with almost no lubrication as I don’t want to contaminate surfaces for future painting / bonding.  My test track is also an effective sound box, as it has a hollow construction and a lid which is like a grand piano.  Fortunately, once on exhibition with CF, scarcely anything is heard. 

Tim

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, D-A-T said:

I’m sure CF MRC is a vampire…

He always seems to post after midnight.

These posts are a bit repetitive, but I find it useful to record construction (an article might appear sometime). I usually finish my domestic jobs and write up workshop progress before turning in - being a bit of a night owl, it helps to send me to sleep; maybe the reader as well…

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

28 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Does this prove that 2mm scale modellers are nuts?

Either that or we've got hex heads!

Jim (currently doing the madness of shading the c1mm high lettering on the waist and eaves panels of the brake thirds.)

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I thought some of my ways of working might be of interest. The next job will be to get it all bolted together. 

Definitely. Thank you for posting up. This one was of particular interest; I’ve been racking my brains on and off for a couple of years how to fashion the smoke box saddle for a 28xx. Using a much larger piece of hex bar makes sense because holding small awkward shapes is so challenging. It’s a lot of material for such a small component but in the grand scheme of things it’s such a small scale that it’s not a lot of material overall. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

7 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Slight change of tack, but Copenhagen Fields will feature in the next episode of ‘Hornby a Model World’ on the Yesterday Channel (Freeview 27) on Monday 30/1/23 at 2000.

You will find out how this happy little scene was made:

As well as our trip with CF to the 2mm Association Derby exhibition in June ‘22.

Tim

Now to try and find out how to watch it Down Here.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Now to try and find out how to watch it Down Here.

One, possibly the easiest, is to use a VPN. There are many available and most offer a 30 day free trial period or money back option. I've not used one yet but the temptation is certainly there for CF.

Michael

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cylinders have now been fixed to the frames on the NER 4-6-2 class. I decided against trimming the top of the cylinder but cut out the underside of the thick running plate instead. This gave a ‘cradle’ to support the cylinder whilst it was being soldered to the mounting pad. 
350EB392-F25E-42EC-8350-ECF92199D7E9.jpe
The two components were held in place by hand against the frames, after tinning both pieces, but wearing two nitrile gloves.  These don’t give that much heat insulation, but better than nothing.  The alternative, which I tried on the second side was to use a piece of emery cloth to grip the cylinder and push it against the frames. The gloves worked better and the cylinder was just tacked into place with an exceedingly hot iron.

1DE9A17C-B1D5-416A-9394-B242F4FC7F55.jpe

The assembly was then removed, clamped up with some locking tweezers and properly sweated together. 
E6A4613E-5C5C-4EFF-902F-38FC3C0E890A.jpe

An air gap was cut around the cylinders using a fine bur and files to insulate from the bodywork (actually only needed on one side - the other is live). The cylinder had a small rebate cut into it so that it did not touch the valence: this may be coated in epoxy resin later on.  
1B9B2452-78F4-46A0-B407-31AB7C728206.jpe

The positioning of the cylinders is very critical, the first one was OK, the second more tricky. From the front they look OK.

1C834D6F-AA16-464A-B75C-1C7E1790333A.jpe

From the side the angulation is quiet subtle: the sighting rod helps to check it out. 
9F620B61-E36E-4B17-A216-C69677E9F3A4.jpe

Next bits to make will be the cylinder covers and slide bars. The rear cover is actually quite deep and incorporates the stuffing box, which will make constructing a bit easier. 
33FC7323-B2E9-4D3C-AEF7-31E941C2DB1E.jpe 

I really need to get a high resolution copy of the works photo of 2400; it has some good details in it. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5