Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It is nice to see an "inclusive" scene but that isn't how I remember things at that age. When I was that sort of vintage, the boys did boyish stuff with other boys and the girls did girly stuff with other girls.

The boys wanted nothing to do with the girls and the girls certainly wanted nothing to do with the boys! 

We were a bit older before we got interested in girls at all.

I am glad that on CF they are doing better than we did!

Reminds me of John Boorman’s terrific film  “Hope and Glory”, in particular the scene when the boys are queuing up for a flash from the girls - a penny and clip round the ear each!

Jerry 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Kings Cross girls were made of different stuff…

Tim

A statement you need to be a bit careful about, Tim. Kings Cross "girls" did indeed have a bit of a reputation, one which originated from the cheap availability of otherwise unoccupied compartments in quad-art sets coming in from Finsbury Park off-peak and which, when quad-art sets were gone, moved to the then cheap run-down housing stock of the KX area.

Of course, the area is very gentile now and any red-light is probably the result of someone playing with the remote control for his LED lighting, but back in the days of CF things were different. Had CF been built by a French club (and there are quite a few capable of building layouts that match CF's high standards), I have little doubt that at least one of the trains would have included a depiction of a KX girl at work with her client! Indeed I have a recollection that one of your predecessors as MRC President had a rather larger scale model of a WL sleeper which included just such a (static) depiction.

David

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/06/2022 at 19:19, queensquare said:

Reminds me of John Boorman’s terrific film  “Hope and Glory”, 

Jerry 

Lovely film, seen it many times.

• RMweb Premium

We had a great day talking with visitors today. Not having a barrier was, I think, much appreciated. After the excessive heat from set up yesterday there was a problem with a baseboard joint at the south end that was finally sorted out by the judicious use of a large hammer - after five o’clock. Tomorrow will be a good day. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent day today in Derby. Two hours to take down and load the van, in London by 2000. 
We had a famous engine running across the NLR: Simon didn’t stop smiling all weekend. 

CD6CB92C-AF85-4823-A8B2-4805598F35BD.jpe

Mons Meg had a go at straightening out Kevin Knight’s track in his little Diamond Jubilee Challenge diorama. 
4C5DD196-F20D-4460-877D-03463BA314E8.jpe

And then we were back to Keen House and stowed: it’s next going up in November/ December.

AEF58D7C-44EC-4A70-85F8-0FAF003C7ABF.jpe

The whole weekend had a further twist, as CF was filmed for a TV programme next year. 

It really was a fantastic weekend for meeting old friends and chatting: totally informal. Thank you to John Aldrick and the Association for organising it. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2022 at 19:51, CF MRC said:

The Aussie - and other long distance travellers - made the whole Derby weekend very special. Thank you all. 

Tim

Hey Tim - it was great to have a personal introduction to you and see the new additions to the layout. Thanks for brining CF to the event.

SteveM

New Zealand

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

Using a piercing saw is a skill I’ve yet to acquire. I can’t seem too control the blade, it wanders, it seems, at will. Current method is to get it to within a mm or so of my marking out and then resort to files and emery cloth. Envious of people who can get it virtually to the line. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, CF MRC said:

After a busy day at Missenden, the frames are now cut out. 
06142112-E03C-4D7E-B440-E9CD0F76592E.jpe

They will probably be erected tomorrow. 
51D44D67-98E7-437B-978C-B17286EAD6DB.jpe

Hopefully get the coupling rods underway as well. 

Tim

Impressive Tim! I wish I could build chassis that quickly!

• Agree 1