Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

As an aside, a friend has just turned up this guide photo of Chiltern Green. 

188049C3-997D-4184-8D8B-FFF3220BEBCC.jpe

Had darker hair then, but I’d only been married six months at that time. 

Tim

Those were the days. An exhibition lasting a whole week and opening until 8:30pm. I do remember working on the stand of Cheltenham Model Centre and it seeming to last forever.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

You certainly settled into a rhythm at the MRC Easter shows. We used to have lunch in a superb Italian restaurant under the Westminster Chapter House: luncheon vouchers were provided by the MRC.  In the evening times you would see bowler-hatted city gents lining the barriers, with their briefcases moving along the rail. 

I actually much prefer three day shows with CF as it gives you more chance to enjoy the layout rather than knowing that the whole lot has to come down the next day. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Chris Higgs said:

Those were the days. An exhibition lasting a whole week and opening until 8:30pm. I do remember working on the stand of Cheltenham Model Centre and it seeming to last forever.

Chris

I remember going along one Wednesday and having the entire frontage of a 30ft long layout, it was that quiet. Lovely days, but you can understand why we don't have them anymore.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Killybegs said:

We took Clinkerford to the final Easter show. It was hard work with just two of us especially as we seemed to be nursing hangovers most mornings.

Sounds like the Bristol show, when it used to be at the docks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks excellent Tim. I shall be bringing the short rake of the late Steve Sykes wagons that are in my care along with one of my Midland brake vans to Thornbury so it will have an approriate train to pull.

Jerry 

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 13:59, east barnet andy said:

Tim , don't forget to bung plenty of Thornbury holiday snaps (!) on RMWeb, for those of us poor souls who won't be allowed to pop down from Potters Bar . . . .

Potters Bar? That's the deep south! 

Jim 

• Agree 2

Tim,

I remember that ancient MRJ very well - indeed I remember first reading it in my Dad's copy as a lad! 

It's good to see that old 0-4-4 still ready to earn its keep, in an adjacent issue of MRJ these was Pete Wright's write up of his chassis for an N1 0-6-2, with the gearing informed by him having driven the real thing round Halifax way in his younger years! Am I right in thinking that eventually got a body for it, though I think the chassis has had a refurb or two since then...

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I suspect like many, I've spent ages looking at pictures of Copenhagen Fields, but today I had my first proper opportunity to have a good look at it in the flesh (rather than peeking through the crowd from the fifth row out).

It was well worth the wait.  Thank you for bring it to Thornbury.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2023 at 05:16, CF MRC said:

We used to have lunch in a superb Italian restaurant under the Westminster Chapter House

I think I remember that one, for other reasons. La Vitello d'Oro IIRC?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

CF on show at Thornbury. 
948A686D-F51D-4B96-B83B-38B9F12EBFE3.jpe

An excellent show without being too crowded so everyone could see the layout without a struggle. 
We have added a new frontage to one of the buildings at the show. I happened to photograph the last remaining contemporary building in Vale Royal a few days ago. 
3B390B05-CBD8-416D-AD3E-6283848F86F9.jpe

I took a rubbing of the relevant building on the layout.

2FCCCC34-362D-4FDC-AD9A-0B7B7D8750A5.jpe

This was then passed on to Ben Weiner who processed it into a new facade, with two Club members immortalised. 
441CA149-8BBA-4A4E-B796-9E84914B3AEB.jpe

It has a really useful effect in this area of the model. In other news, the Kirtley well tank hasn’t yet got going on the NLR. It’s quite tricky sorting out new engines on a layout at a show, so we’ll try it out tomorrow morning. 

It was lovely talking to visitors at the show - it’s what makes it all worthwhile. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, CF MRC said:

We are forever trying to streamline set up and take down. We were loaded and in the van at just over two hours on Sunday.

After the De Havilland show on Saturday that closed at 5pm, we were heading home with Freshwater at 12 minutes past 😜

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

If is funny but watching the video I realise I haven't paid as much attention to the actual trains on CF as they deserve. It is because the modelling of that part of London is so interesting.

Don

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The trains are somewhat lost in the cityscape. Having the end open does however allow visitors to have a close look at the trains and engines in the fiddle yard as they come past. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1