Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

Astounding, amazing, inspirational - and it would still be so in a much larger scale!

Perhaps replicable for other NER outside cylinder locomotives where the drive is onto the leading driving wheel ?

Interesting that the connecting rod itself is so massive at the big-end.

On other locomotives (A7/H1/A8 which were also six-coupled and three cylinder) the coupling rod was outside the connecting rod.

(I think, and subject to correction.)

I wonder why that wasn't replicated here?

Edited by drmditch

17 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Astounding, amazing, inspirational - and it would still be so in a much larger scale!

Perhaps replicable for other NER outside cylinder locomotives where the drive is onto the leading driving wheel ?

Interesting that the connecting rod itself is so massive at the big-end.

On other locomotives (A7/H1/A8 which were also six-coupled and three cylinder) the coupling rod was outside the connecting rod.

(I think, and subject to correction.)

I wonder why that wasn't replicated here?

Midland Compounds had the coupling rods outside too. Maybe in this case clearance issues led to the cylinders being too far outboard for that?

• RMweb Premium

They are quite substantial cylinders and the class did have clearance issues, being cut down on the front buffer beam very early on in traffic and the rear valence necked in to give platform clearance. 
BE187532-E718-4F37-9055-E8BF32AB4C76.png

Two things that puzzle me are whether the reversing gear balance weight (seen above the frames) was visible when the engine was in forward gear.  Also, at some point, it seems that the wheels had some extra square-shaped weights added to the crescent shape as-cast. My engine will be in near original condition so I suspect it would not have the additions. Any ideas? 

Thank you all for the kind comments - I try to show how it’s done in these posts, not just the end result. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 4

I would imagine the relative positions of the coupling and connecting rods would depend on where the centre line of the cylinders came in relation to the wheels in plan view.  I would expect the designers would want to keep everything in as straight an alignment as possible?

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Perhaps a bit crazy. BC8CAB72-DC60-4C67-B6E4-41523890ABB1.jpe

With such large big end bearings, it would have been churlish not to include separate brasses.

Tim

Well worth doing Tim. I did something similar for my 4mm EM "Valour". I adopted a slightly different approach by soldering a rectangle of brass shim to the outside, rather than making a hole in the connecting rod and making a brass insert.

Your way would, I think, be a little more difficult to do but I am sure you will have a good reason for going down that route. You usually do! I would be interested to know why as it might influence my decision next time around (7mm Valour, 7mm and 4mm B7s).

DSCN3053.JPG.ff9906aa75184855dba6f55ba4ceb103.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I recollected you doing it for Valour, Tony. I didn’t fancy sweating on a bass facing, bearing in mind that the nearby flanges of the rod are also soldered on. It didn’t take long to make the square hole with an escapement file and then trimming a block of brass to fit. 
C2D32EE9-E48F-4306-9187-5EC8B31E6F03.jpe

Tim

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Little & LARGE. The driving wheels on the Raven 4-6-2 class have been lined out, just awaiting the black axle ends. Meanwhile, I have started to fettle the cast lamp brackets for my 3.5” gauge King Arthur, Sir Sagramore, in a scale approximately an order of magnitude bigger, i.e. 1/152 vs 1/16 full size.

278819B8-9595-4FE7-81ED-2DD52D0C3C04.jpe
Once the Skittle Alley is re-assembled I’ll probably work on the KA (see separate thread) for a while. 

Tim

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The Raven 4-6-2 class is now mechanically complete. It slightly ‘stuck its elbows out’ on the slide bars when running and so a restraining wire was soldered across the back of the crocodile, using 145 deg solder. 

4739209F-6281-4C5E-A681-B5405AE1B7C0.jpe

https://youtu.be/EoCENm7k2bI

The driving wheels are lined out at the hub but the rims are not yet black. 

Tim

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Our first show to demonstrate the layout concept was at the last IMREX at the Wembley Conference Centre (probably 1985). We were on the balcony, showing Bill Blackburn’s impressive track making jigs and other display bits, such as the model of the model. 

D6B2F28D-D399-44B0-94EC-58A0147D9073.jpe

During the show an elderly gentleman and his son enquired on the stand, “Why don’t you use the new PECO track?”  I replied that this layout was going to be 2mm finescale and that it would be incompatible. He responded “I’m sure you could get a good deal”. Again I said that it was incompatible with the wheel standards, asking him who he was. “Sidney Pritchard”. He walked off muttering to Michael…

Interesting how things turn out isn’t it? We certainly didn’t expect to still be working on it nearly 40 years on.

Tim

You'd have had it finished thirty years ago if you'd used PECO! 🤣🤣🤣

Happy 40th guys. You're an inspiration to all of us. Keep up the good work!

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Yorkshire Square said:

You'd have had it finished thirty years ago if you'd used PECO! 🤣🤣🤣

You may well be right. However, I don’t think the area could be modelled (properly) with commercial track.

E1FB3510-5980-4BC8-97BB-EFE4A615729B.jpe

(photo Barry Norman, courtesy MRJ)

One of the great strokes of luck during its construction was the acquisition of a copy of the LNER track diagram dating to 1932. One of our club members  is a great collector of antiquarian railway books and ephemera. He was tipped off by the auction house, for which he was a major client, that they had a copy of the LNER engineer’s track plan for Belle Isle and the KX Goods Yard for sale. Due to his standing with them, we were allowed to borrow the plan for a few days. It was a simple job to get the drawing scaled to exact 2mm scale in a print shop and run off a couple of large copies.  

We therefore had an accurate track plan in the early 1990s, well before Templot was invented. The late, great, Keith Armes made all the track work in the Belle Isle ‘trough’ and commented that the turnouts and crossings were the longest he had ever made. GNR drivers didn’t hang around getting into the ‘Cross from Finsbury Park, so the cross overs on the up lines were clearly built for speedy transitions. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, CF MRC said:

We therefore had an accurate track plan in the early 1990s, well before Templot was invented.

Hi Tim,

Before Templot was publicly available, but not before it was invented. The first usable version was in use in 1980. The first public release was in 1998.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2