2b or not 2b...

D400

Having built up a little fleet of Class 50s I decided I needed wanted a rake of NSE Mk2s to go with them, however it didn't take me long to discover that majority of these were made up of a mix of Mk2a/b and c carriages. In addition the great Bachmann TSO shortage resulted in me being only able to acquire 2 Mk2a TSOs - however looking at typical formations it be came clear that the 2a were usually in minority compared to Mk2bs and cs.

I had hoped Bachmann might decide at some point to add the 2bs to their range, but obviously they need some encouragement ;-) So after looking at Lima Mk2b TSO on a secondhand stand at Warley I decided to take the plunge and buy it. I also picked up some of the old SE Flushglaze as it was quite clear that the old glazing would not cut the mustard.

As I only had 1 Lima carriage, and rakes tended to be mixed, I set about trying to make the carriage passable in a rake of otherwise Bachmann items - the crude bogies and underframe being first on the target. Eventually I plumbed to fit the carriage with the underframe from a Bachman Mk2a FK - now at this point I should point out that yes I know the Lima carriage is too short, but its something I'm happy to live with and the main objective of this project was not to create "the ultimate Mk2b" but instead create a carriage that would pass unnoticed in a rake of Bachmann 2as. This is also the reason for doing a Mk2b TSO as these have the most noticeably different layout from any of the Mk2as.

post-7036-0-93479600-1329864312_thumb.jpgpost-7036-0-45168900-1329864363_thumb.jpg

Grafting the body onto the Bachmann chassis wasn't two difficult - the Lima body comes over but it has a "floor" which needs to be chopped out. I then added two stripes of 0.5mm plasticard to the insides of the body frame to strength it, reduce the width and also enable to the tumble home to be increased slightly (more on that later).

It was an improvement, but the thick mouldings and in particular the Blue and Grey moulded "paint guide" were too obvious and in the end I decided to strip the body down and start detailing.

A lot of work with wet and dry paper removed the painting guide and also increased the curve of the tumble home. I also decided to use the Bachmann FK roof replacing the Lima version. This required cut out a bit more of the ends of the roof on the Lima body shell and despite being very careful here, I have over egged it slightly - it will require filling once I fit the roof for good.

post-7036-0-97116400-1329864442_thumb.jpgpost-7036-0-79491700-1329864562_thumb.jpg

An obvious omission of the Lima model and something which I think screams "2b" were the rubber door "bumpers" fitted to the wrap-around doors. I made mine from sections of 0.6 brass wire, filled flat one side, bent to shape, then cut and filled more to shape. Handrails were replaced by wire, door handles, grab handles and hinges are from a MJT etch. Lamp irons are actually Heljan Class 33 ones from a spares sprue - I also notice these are in the wrong place on the Lima original - almost as if the ends had been flipped in a mirror! Corridor connections were next to bite the dust - they will be replaced with Bachmann ones from the donor FK as well. With the amount of Lima plastic rapidly decreasing I decided in the end that the SE flushglaze really wasn't good enough and so I have now fitted Windows cut from the Bachmann FK. This involved tediously cutting each window from the glazing piece, and filling both window and frame to fit - hopefully the results will be worth all the extra effort!

post-7036-0-67365400-1329864583_thumb.jpg

It is now in the paintshop and I hope to finish it off... just in time for Bachmann to annouce Mk2bs and cs for the 2012! All in seriousness if they do I it won't put me off - I've enjoyed the challenge of this project, but I don't think I could face doing it all again for another 2 or 3.. and my set could really do with a TSO(T)...

Meanwhile else where in the carr works other Mk2s are being worked on...!

More soon.

Bruce

Looking good, though the door bumpers were often missing in later years. There's also an extra box on one side of the Mk.2b and c coaches. Below is a small drawing that's included in my N Gauge inlay instructions. It's not a exact scale drawing as it was drawn on the basis of re-using the detail parts from their Mk.2 air-con underframe moulding, suitably rearranged for the earlier stock. The extra box is marked 'A'.

Mk2uf.jpg

Looking good, though the door bumpers were often missing in later years. There's also an extra box on one side of the Mk.2b and c coaches. Below is a small drawing that's included in my N Gauge inlay instructions. It's not a exact scale drawing as it was drawn on the basis of re-using the detail parts from their Mk.2 air-con underframe moulding, suitably rearranged for the earlier stock. The extra box is marked 'A'.

Mk2uf.jpg

Hi Bernrad - Yes I am aware of the "missing box" though finding it hard source a suitable part. Anyone know what these actually were? I've already looked in the "The Mk2 Book" and it makes no mention (so far anyway!) - although looking at photos it looks like some sort of heat exchange unit.

Cheers,

Bruce

Not sure what it was - if it had been on the Mk2c only then something ready for the air-conditioning planned that was never fitted spings to mind. It's on the Lima underframe, but whether it's worth salvaging I don't know.

The box you are asking about is a bulk lighting inverter. This steps the battery volts up from 24v dc to 230v ac 1200hz for the fluorescent lights.

Regards

Al Taylor

Interesting - given the earlier Mk.2s also had fluorescent lighting it seems odd that it wasn't on them too. Presumably the equipment was either changed or moved from another location, perhaps as a result of introducing the wrap-round doors.

The earlier MKIIs apart from the IIa BFKs had individual inverters for each pair of tubes, these were mounted under the grey covers next to the light fittings., The MKIIa BFKs had a bulk inverter mounted in the "curved "partition of the toilet.

Al Taylor

Hi Al,

Inverter box - ahh that make sense, they probably got quite warm! I'll keep looking - thanks for the info :)

I've not made a lot of progress on the 2b - (NSE white and the red stripe have gone on - but not much point in showing a load of masking tape!) however, I've been distracted by other things (as usual!)

While one of my 2as was out for measuring the heights of the various stripes, I've fitted it with a tail lamp and interior lights - for the latter I've used warm white LED strip from Maplin. I've set my TCS FL2 to the "Dim" setting which send the leds about 4v (they are designed for use on 12v) - they are still rather bright but I think it is not too far off.

post-7036-0-10716600-1330469173.gif

I've also been distracted by these....

post-7036-0-38940300-1330469996_thumb.jpgpost-7036-0-53994700-1330470000_thumb.jpg

Can anyone guess what they are becoming .... ;)

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce

If you paint the interior led with white paint that should dim them just enough if you feel they are still too bright just give them another coat of paint.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Many thanks for that - top tip! Not only does it dim them slightly, but it has also give them a very very slightly more yellow (but not too much) tinge which makes them look more realistic.

Not 100% sure but if they're mainline good luck getting the paint removed. Tried modelstrip, tried the Mr muscle method and still it won't come off! More NSE maybe?

Bachmann not Mainline - and my usual Acatone-Free Nail Varnish remover did the job perfectly. Not NSE though - keep guessing ;)

Despite all these distractions (and more!) the 2b is still going - just a couple of weeks to go to meet my deadline of completion before Bachmann announce there own version!

post-7036-0-72537800-1330988255_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Bruce

More progress on the Mk2b. The Bachmann windows aren't perfect but better than what was before - please Mr. Shawplan can we have a lazer glaze set please B) Livery wise, white and red are Precision paints - grey is Railmatch and the blue was hand mixed using various Games workshop acrylics - I think its a pretty close match to the Bachmann shade. It also was mixed using the GW "foundation" range, which is high pigment paint and has enabled me to use a very thin coat, but still with good coverage. Roof and ends are Humbrol 67. Just awaiting varnishing, transfers and then varnishing again now.

post-7036-0-12374800-1331506427_thumb.jpgpost-7036-0-89145600-1331506428_thumb.jpg

Pretty pleased with the results of this - although not perfect I feel I've achieved my objective of producing a Mk2b TSO which won't look out of place in my Bachmann rake. A Mk2c TSO(T) would finish off my Waterloo - Exeter rake nicely, but I would have to do something about the windows, maybe Southern Pride parts if Shawplan don't come up with the goods?

The carriage is also still missing the inverter box from the underframe - still not found anything suitable for this yet, but that can always be added at a later date. I also might replace the interior which at the moment is a hacked up mix of the Lima original with the toilets from the original FK interior - if I can source the interior from a Dapol/Airfix TSO that would be better.

Feedback always appreciated.

Regards,

Bruce

Regarding the inverter box I chose to shorten and then glue two of the Lima boxes together. Please see below:

post-7112-0-78485800-1331548265.jpg

The third box along on the LIma model was basically in the wrong place and too short so I joined two together and added this to the Bachmann underframe.

Hi Flood - looks good - unfortunately I only have 1 Lima under frame to hack about with at the moment - might try and make something out of plasticard but isn't a priority at the moment. I have now applied the transfers - but I am just waiting for custom ones to finish this off before applying the final satin varnish.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Final update on this one - still needs an inverter box but for now its "finished" in my book. Transfers are from Fox, Replica, and Precision labels - the later also did me some wonderful custom details for the ends which really finish it off now I think.

So with Bachmann leaving the Mk2b alone for now maybe I will consider doing another at some point - but I think I'd have to do the windows differently if I did.

Cheers,

Bruce

post-7036-0-99094400-1332776785_thumb.jpg

post-7036-0-20635600-1332776788_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi there - if the Lima model is 2mm shorter, how did you modify the Bachmann chassis to fit please? I purchased a Lima FK off eBay today and I'm interested in doing a similar conversion. 

Hi there,

I think you've miss understood! the Lima model is 2mm too short for the mk2b/c prototype, however this means it is the same length Bachmann Mk2a (which is the correct length for a Mk2a). 

Hope that clears things up!,

Brucce

• 2 years later...

Archived