Hornby Maunsell Coaches - Low/High windows

phil gollin

Guest Belgian

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find a topic.

Have Hornby got moulds for both the "low" and "high" window Maunsell coaches or have the moulds been modified from one type to the other ?

I.E. will we see future releases of both types of coaches ?

Thanks

Since they continually make models of both types they must have two moulds for each or an adjustable one.

JE

When these (4mm) coaches were introduced by Hornby, a press statement was made to the effect that the tooling had deliberately been designed to allow production of either window style. So there is still plenty of scope for more models from Hornby, either as singletons or in sets.

Just within topic, there is a very good article on the subject in MRJ #213.

Hth

PB

• RMweb Premium

Re this topic, something puzzles me is the lack of BR green Maunsell's that are available they seem at best limited in comparison with the SR ones and those in blood and custard.

Thats without restricting your purchase to the high window ones.

Appears Hornby have offered produced a 4 compartment brake comp high window R4395B and 4 different first class BR green Maunsell?

I would have thought that with the T9, M7 and soon to be produced O2 BR green Maunsell's would be extremely popular & Hornby could sell these by the shed load.

The same thing I think would apply to EWS and sector liveries.

Hornby's livery choices often confuse me as unless you want a DCC version the EWS livered locos are seemingly in short supply.

Diesels in sector liveries also seem limited.

An additional example the MK3s are available in very limited types in certain liveries yet retailers still seem to have large numbers of the power cars that they cannot sell and are forced to discount because of the lack of suitable coaches to purchase in that livery.

R

Guest Belgian

Re this topic, something puzzles me is the lack of BR green Maunsell's that are available they seem at best limited in comparison with the SR ones and those in blood and custard.

Thats without restricting your purchase to the high window ones.

Appears Hornby have offered produced a 4 compartment brake comp high window R4395B and 4 different first class BR green Maunsell?

I would have thought that with the T9, M7 and soon to be produced O2 BR green Maunsell's would be extremely popular & Hornby could sell these by the shed load.

The same thing I think would apply to EWS and sector liveries.

Hornby's livery choices often confuse me as unless you want a DCC version the EWS livered locos are seemingly in short supply.

Diesels in sector liveries also seem limited.

An additional example the MK3s are available in very limited types in certain liveries yet retailers still seem to have large numbers of the power cars that they cannot sell and are forced to discount because of the lack of suitable coaches to purchase in that livery.

R

Hornby have produced the BR green Maunsells by the shedload, and they've all sold out very quickly. The Blood & Custard and both types of Southern version have sold far less quickly and are thus easier to obtain.

All 5 varieties of coach have appeared in each colour scheme, but more versions of the BR green ones have appeared than any of the others. The only thing so far is that only special editions of low-window stock have appeared in BR green, namely the coaches and coach pack for the '1957 Southern Suburban' and the 'Somerset & Dorset 3 coach set'.

In theory 6 Maunsell sets are available in BR green RTR (soon to be 8 when the Push/Pulls arrive), where as there are only 4 sets in the other liveries. Finding them might be a problem though.

• RMweb Gold

I think there have been 31 separate numbers of BR green Maunsell, but that includes the R2815 and R4379 "1957 Suburban" sets, while that number does not include the Somerset and Dorset set recently released. I believe there have been 17 vehicles released in crimson/cream, and the same number in SR Malachite (a colour shade in dispute for accuracy in some quarters, as it is apparently identical to the BR green). 32 vehicles have been released in olive, but that includes the R2813 and R4378 "1938 Suburban" sets, as well as the BCK released in the "Imperial Airways" set.

None of these totals includes any vehicle apart from passenger coaches - Vans C etc are not included - and the 2012 announcements are also excluded.

My observation is that the olive vehicles are almost all low-window, while most other liveries feature mainly high-window. Hornby still has a lot of scope to release new models without duplication.

• RMweb Premium

My observation is that the olive vehicles are almost all low-window, while most other liveries feature mainly high-window. Hornby still has a lot of scope to release new models without duplication.

I would agree that Hornby can widen the variety, my observations are solely based on the Hornby website (which admittedly describe some coaches as being SR with the coach shown in blood and custard) and a 2010 leaflet. Neither show many of these coaches in BR green.

Going on these and excluding sets I could only come up with the following Maunsell's in BR green

R4303B BR Green 1st class

R4303C BR Green 1st class

R4303D BR Green 1st class

R4303E BR Green 1st class (high window?)

R4395B BR Green Brake 3rd

I was looking for a brake comp (akin to R4348C ) I believe to be a high window 6 compartment? (not a 4 compartment version) in BR green

A BSK would be useful Hornby to make up a Western 2 coach BCK BSK (sets 31,28, 25 ..I do not believe a BSK has yet been produced only BTK?

Edit from reading something elsewhere it suggests that coach 3780 set 25 is a BSK another states it is a BTK I was initially thinking that the BTK and BSK were the same in BR days?

I am looking at photos as a source and admit I am not that knowlegeable about these coaches. Hornby do not list the actual coach number which does not make things easier for the ignorant like me.

For instance on R4395B in BR green the droplights are picked out in brown teak? on all the photos I am looking at the BR Maunsell coaches have these painted green. For a BR set about 1960 should I not paint the droplights green?

Also would set numbers have appeared on just the outer ends of the two coaches or both ends of each coach?

R

• RMweb Gold

The BR green equivalent of R4348 is R4320, which was released in A,B,C versions as S6600S, S6647S and S6657S respectively. R4320C is on ebay currently.

BTK and BSK are effectively the same vehicle. Until 1956 there were just two classes of travel - 1st and 3rd - on most trains, with 2nd class being reserved for odd boat trains etc. From that year 3rd class simply became 2nd class, just as more recently it became standard class. Thus an early '50s crimson and cream coach would be a BTK, while once it regained its green in the late '50s, it would become a BSK.

This firm seems to have good stocks of some BR green Maunsells, albeit not R4320 http://www.rrrmodels.co.uk/Hornby-coaches-c-2_4_122.html?page=2&sort=3a&osCsid=61iufa8suceis2f5c7a2fmts16

I think the only high-window olive coaches were in the 'Southern Suburban' set.

Over here there seem to be lots of BR green Maunsells and very few SR olive ones available.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

For instance on R4395B in BR green the droplights are picked out in brown teak? on all the photos I am looking at the BR Maunsell coaches have these painted green. For a BR set about 1960 should I not paint the droplights green?

Also would set numbers have appeared on just the outer ends of the two coaches or both ends of each coach?

R

You're correct - R4395A and B were supposed to BR Green with green droplights, but the factory made an error and painted the droplights brown.

As far as set numbers are concerned, these were the first Maunsell brakes in BR Green to carry them, the earlier ones didn't. On the real thing, fixed sets were formed with the brakes at each end, brake compartment outwards, and the set number appeared on the (outer) brake end only.

This firm seems to have good stocks of some BR green Maunsells, albeit not R4320 http://www.rrrmodels...is2f5c7a2fmts16

Sorry Olddudders, but they all look like SR branded green to me.

• RMweb Gold

I think the only high-window olive coaches were in the 'Southern Suburban' set.

There was one other vehicle - the BCK in the "Imperial Airways" set. Fortunately, Rails offered these as a separate item, so as well as the set, I bought two more. They require a bit of work to expunge the Imperial Airways insignia, that's all.

?? Stacks of BR green maunsells in my local Modelzone at a penny under £20

Then again maybe not - rustling through all today in search of a particular BCK it became obvious that the box end description as "BR Maunsell" was wrong as most definately had a Southern one in it. Annoyingly the BCK was not to be found despite the store stock when checked claiming they had one. Anyone know of a R4320C anywhere?

Thanks - had noticed that the other night thinking about it now and I note they state they only advertise what is in their warehouse so seems quite likely to exist. Think I will just first check Modelzone again, had this before with another item - could not be found only to find it on front of the shelf next time I went in.

Archived