Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

And to think, I always thought you couldn't see blue-grey with steam...how wrong can one person be!

Oh, you're not with yourself Simon, when I think of how many times I've seen this come up. There's a whole interlude from around 1966 to 1976 that's rife with misunderstanding; f'rinstance a lot of folk seem to think that diesels went straight from 'D' numbers to TOPS.

• Like 3

I remember some North Eastern steam locos had NE Tangerine front numberplates, white figures. Black 5's and 2-6-4 tanks mainly, from Leeds / Wakefieds area sheds in 66 /67. This one is on Lostock Hall shed, also has shed no painted on.

2281349399_9a2f945375_z.jpg?zz=1

• Like 3

I took the following shots on 13th August 1966 a few months before the 'steam-era' 4-track layout and signalling were reduced, Abergele goods yard closed and footbridge rebuilt and the station reduced to platform buildings sans canopies and footbridge.....

45562 heads into Abergele with a train from Sheffield, the leading coach being a maroon Thompson brake second....

post-6680-0-72716500-1336497755.jpg

A green English Electric Type 4 with one blue & grey coach amongst all maroon stock approaching Abergele on the down Slow line past a lone coal wagon in the yard. Late afternoon and the sun had come out....

post-6680-0-13138300-1336497754.jpg

A Euston-Holyhead train of all blue & grey stock behind another Type 4 running from signal to signal on the Down Fast at Abergele....

post-6680-0-54267600-1336497752.jpg

An EE Type 4 departing Abergele on the Up Slow line past the camping coach siding (ex horse landing) with blue & grey coaches leading....

post-6680-0-93412800-1336497750.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 9

Oh, you're not with yourself Simon, when I think of how many times I've seen this come up. There's a whole interlude from around 1966 to 1976 that's rife with misunderstanding; f'rinstance a lot of folk seem to think that diesels went straight from 'D' numbers to TOPS.

bit late to still not have wasp stripes and early emblem.

2955277898_c0be7def15_b.jpg

003-26-Carlisle-7-8-65-D3171 by david.l.quayle, on Flickr

• Like 2

bit late to still not have wasp stripes and early emblem.

003-26-Carlisle-7-8-65-D3171 by david.l.quayle, on Flickr

There are a few later than that, including some in original black - the problem is ID'ing them as such with all the sh*te on them. That will have been built in black as 13171 and looking at it logically, it'll be a green repaint done before the adoption of wasp stripes (probably at the time it acquired its 'D' number)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

white, but would imagine shortly to be yellow

(Posts 312 and 314)

I thought that too Michael, but then I noticed the overhead electric warning symbols.

Perhaps the depot ran out of "yellow pack" paint.

• RMweb Gold

Is it actually white, or is it a product of the camera? Or has the yellow faded a lot...?

Fascinating, regardless.

Several potential answers - firstly as already suggested (and probably most likely?) it is undercoat and/or primer.

BUT around the mid 1960s (although this pic is probably later?) Derby research did all sorts of things experimenting with improving front end visibility. The wildest of these was to deal with a complaint that the nose ends of EE TYpe 1s got very dirty and the yellow didn't show up well. So the boffins analysed the problem and found the cause was largely squashed insects so they concluded that things might be better if the insects weren't squashed and they applied a special finish to one loco to test the theory effectively giving it the short of treatment we now do with static grass applicators - they covered the nose end with tiny 'spikes' of something or other using a static electricity charge or something of that nature to ensure the 'spikes' stood up. they then road tested their creation only to find that it was even worse than usual and it was much harder to clean because of the little spikes. Much to his credit a couple of pics of it were included in a talk one of the research chaps used to give about teh work of the Tech Centre and I saw them while on a course at Derby. I've always wondered what happened to the transparencies?

Incidentally the postscript to his story and the slides was that the scientists concluded that the best way to improve nose end visibility was more frequent cleaning - I wonder how much it cost to get to that conclusion?

• Like 3

Just a strange coincidence I've found. Been reading this month's issue of The Railway Magazine - and as I looked at the photograph Mike posted earlier, my issue was open at page 61. This doesn't have much relevance until you realise that the nameplate "Sherwood Forester" is on sale via the Sheffield Railwayana Auctions, and is pictured right in the centre of the page!

Strange coincidences.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this topic has really got me going, modelling wise.

I've (temporarily) removed my 50's stock (red cream, most early crests, and a few steam locos that had become extinct by 1966) and dug out all my blue diesels (mostly Lima) and the few blue / grey coaches I have. I've ordered a blue / grey MK1 bachman buffet car and a blue cravens DMU from Hattons (both on offer) - I never thought I would buy ""modern image"" again !!.

I'll set my scene around 1966 / 7 , this allows a few more of my steam locos to stay. Of course a bit of modellers licence is needed, but with the help of this thread, far less than I thought.

With it raining & cold, I've spent 2 days rejuvenating my early stuff thats not run for many years. Two blue EE Type 4's (Lima), they are tops numbered, as are nearly all my blue diesels, so I will renumber them eventually, I have an old Joeff blue class 40, thats never run properly since I bought it back in the 70's. I partly dismantled it, cleaned the wheels, lubricated the drive, fixed the motor to the chassis with a nylon tie, and bingo - it runs superb now. Been hauling 40 mineral wagons for an hour. Nice growl from the gears too. It looks a little too wide though alongside a Lima 40.

I got a tatty old Mainline Peak running well also - infact this runs superb as well (bought around 1975). Body is a bit battered so I'll weather it. For the hell of it I even got a very old Playcraft HO blue class 21 working. Looks b-awfull but runs ok - and that has never run since adam was a lad.

A note on how I rejuvenate my old diesels. Body off and track to motor "jump leads" to see if motor runs (they almost all do). Then I clean the wheels with fime emery paper and put a dab of swich cleaner on the wheels (from an aerosol). Check / replace the traction tyres (easy on Lima). A drop of electrolube from a pen type applicator on the motor bearings and gear drive train, then run it round the layout for 5 mins in both directions. Clean & replace the body, and couple to a test train, 15 mins in each direction. I must admit I am suprised at how well my old Lima diesels run. A Lima 40 given the above treatment was crawling round the goods lines with 40 minerals behind, over many points and slips - not a hint of stalling. No mods - straight "from the box" - though the box was chucked away many years ago !!

I must admit, I think my layout "looks" better somehow in this rareley modelled era - I never really remembered blood & custard, but I do remember quite well steam locos & blue/grey both here in the NW, and in the West Riding.

Thanks for the posts folks - I'll take a few photos & post em.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 4

ive seen LMS on quite a few published shots and on cine film but never that big, also seen football teams like Liverpool, Everton and Manchester utd chalked on, and lots of other slogans.

on one of the end of steam railtours 45407 had a slogan chalked on its tender, I cant quite make out on the video but one of the words in giant letters on the tender is "C R A P"