Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

The Kingmoor Brits had so much charisma.

Sorry, 'Chard, I can't agree. The arrival of a large number of these ER rejects on the LMR led to the withdrawal of the Duchesses - not a good thing! And I don`t remember seeing a Brit-hauled train of more than about 6 coaches arrive on time.

Sorry, 'Chard, I can't agree. The arrival of a large number of these ER rejects on the LMR led to the withdrawal of the Duchesses - not a good thing! And I don`t remember seeing a Brit-hauled train of more than about 6 coaches arrive on time.

I know mate, but blame it on my horizons - it was these mistreated and unloved girls that brought down the curtain on Waverley steam, and it's that whole 'why is this so rarely modelled' vibe!

I know mate, but blame it on my horizons - it was these mistreated and unloved girls that brought down the curtain on Waverley steam, and it's that whole 'why is this so rarely modelled' vibe!

Pete. They might have been 'bags of sh*te' but for us mid-'60s born boys, they're 'our bags of sh*te'! ;-)

Dave. 

Speaking completely personally, and recognising that your points of view are equally valid - you can keep them!

• Like 2

so we've proved I think that steam did run with blue and grey coaches.

one thing that is common on a lot on of layouts is green diesels with small yellow warning panels and blood and custard stock, which I think im right in saying would have been a lot rarer?

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

so we've proved I think that steam did run with blue and grey coaches.

one thing that is common on a lot on of layouts is green diesels with small yellow warning panels and blood and custard stock, which I think im right in saying would have been a lot rarer?

Mike. If there's one thing in transition era modelling that really interferes with my mental health it's that frankly sloppily researched juxtaposition of liveries. The two tone coach livery was pretty much vanished by the time yellow hit loco fronts and no layout portraying mid 1962 onwards should display a crimson and cream coach and apart from a handful of new-build type 2s and 4s, no layout prior to about March 1963 should show a diesel with a yellow panel.

If any forum member from this point on portrays this erroneous configuration of colour schemes in public, I will personally track them down and eliminate them with a silenced 9mm pistol. :P

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Agreed. I dabbled in photographing trains from about 1960, with experiments in colour from 1964. Although it was largely locos, in the surviving pictures I can't find one blood & custard coach but there were several plain front diesels and early crest steamers.

Given the rate of Mk1 builds / Big 4 scrappings together with shopping schedules I would expect to see no blood and custards in revenue service after the introduction of SYP. Someone will no doubt produce a photo to prove me wrong but that one would qualify for the 'Holy Grail' thread. 

If any forum member from this point on portrays this erroneous configuration of colour schemes in public, I will personally track them down and eliminate them with a silenced 9mm pistol. :P

Dave.

so you'll make sure there is blood in their bowl of custard

Geoff Plumb has this shot dated August 1963 with one blood and custard mk1..

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/CambrianCoastLines/16750125_TBdHnX/1265238997_rTpfnDW#!i=1265238997&k=rTpfnDW

you would no doubt see the odd one or 2 but not a whole rake behind a diesel with a syp, like this...

http://www.freefoto.com/preview/26-47-21/BR-Class-25-D7628

• Like 1

are you going to do the yellow stripe on the Jubilee and later tender crests ?
:)

While its the festive season ---------

post-6884-0-33210900-1356970681.jpg

post-6884-0-58346700-1356970703.jpg

post-6884-0-69304400-1356970726.jpg

One for the diesel fans - Lima 47 298 needs renumbering to D1100 & headcodes adding

post-6884-0-30698000-1356970746.jpg

We never have enough room - the "new" Gasworks had to be built around the roof trusses. Many details to add (this applies to the whole layout)

post-6884-0-39018000-1356970761.jpg

I must get a better camera and learn how to use it, especially under the harsh flourescent lights.

Mine is a "running" layout where I like to see several simultaneous long trains run, not overly bothered if a rivet or two is missing or a few early crest steam locos run (which actually lasted till the end as an earlier photo in this thread shows). I have a little give and take on stock also - some steam that had gone by 1966 still appears, and some blue stock appears a little earlier than it should. I've a bit of renumbering etc to do on my blue Lima diesels etc.

The red & cream stuff is stored, but I will change "era" every 6 months or so. Around 1960 & 66>68 (at the latest). I don't intend to banish steam at all.

Keep this thread alive folks - the best one for me on RMWeb - Tons of interesting Flikr links, I've put em all in favourites.

Cheers and all my best wishes to all in the New Year.

Brit15

• Like 4

Keep this thread alive folks - the best one for me on RMWeb - Tons of interesting Flikr links, I've put em all in favourites.

Cheers and all my best wishes to all in the New Year.

Brit15

Aye, it's a fantastic thread - coalescing neatly as it does with two of the best Groups on here - Waverley Route and Transition Diesels!  Long may it thrive  :angel:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While the weather is bad I've been farting around with my new film scanner. I've got loads of negs to do, this was one of the first I found, Unrecorded 9F northbound on new bogie Esso tanks around 1967.

I allways thought these bogie tanks were air braked only, (can't recall the 9F being so fitted).

Bachman do this Esso tank, Hattons have em on offer - now no excuse needed for a few behind my Railroad 9F !!

http://www.ehattons.com/32746/Bachmann_UK_38_113A_Pack_of_4_100_ton_TEA_bogie_tank_wagon_in_Esso_grey/StockDetail.aspx

post-6884-0-45723300-1357665027.jpg

I wonder what else i'll find ??

Brit15

• Like 5

Oh, I don't really care what you find - if it's all half as meaningful as this it will be well worth staying-up for!

That's fantastic.  I never thought I'd see anything rivalling the Austerity on HAAs, but that's a right winner!

• Like 2

I allways thought these bogie tanks were air braked only, (can't recall the 9F being so fitted).

Brit15

I think you are correct - it looks like the 9F is running with a fitted head - the first few tankers look like they may be vac fitted four wheelers, as well as some other stock behind the loco. Having said that, I think some 9F's were fitted with air equipment for operating the doors on the consett ore trains - I don't know if this included air brake equipment also.