Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
On 18/12/2023 at 13:21, queensquare said:

Pigs, barrow, bath and bike - I think that will do! This has been a really enjoyable little fireside project. Hopefully I’ll find time over Christmas to work up the ground around it.

Jerry

IMG_2231.jpeg.8857236873a9011de0409ca102d48e77.jpegIMG_2234.jpeg.effafc903096f3c79e2fbe44dd86fa00.jpeg

I think those pigs need some more room.  I'm going to call Hamnesty International.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

I think the cottage looks odd because of the bank that has to be scaled by any occupant wishing to get to it. 

?? The entrance is at the far end, I purposely didn’t put one anywhere else because of the way they are perched above the lane.

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 2mmMark said:

With his guitar & harmonica rack, I think he missed a trick by not strapping cymbals to his knees, a drum on his back and adding a kazoo.

You're thinking of Don Partridge.

10 hours ago, queensquare said:

?? The entrance is at the far end, I purposely didn’t put one anywhere else because of the way they are perched above the lane.

Jerry

My comment was intended to relate to the thatched plaster cottage rather than the row. I thought I saw an entrance facing the lane. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, richbrummitt said:

My comment was intended to relate to the thatched plaster cottage rather than the row. I thought I saw an entrance facing the lane. 

With you now Rich. Still mulling over what to do with it - if anything!

Jerry

• RMweb Premium

The plaster cottage, to me, is more Cotswolds than Mendips!  I imagine it surrounded by rose arbours, colourful borders and a vegetable garden in a grove of ancient oaks and beech.  So very Miss Marple.  And definitely not that close to a pit head, think what it could do to the fresh, starched, white linen on the washing line.

Only my view, others may be available.

Best wishes to you and Kim for Christmas and the New Year.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Doncaster Green said:

The plaster cottage, to me, is more Cotswolds than Mendips!  I imagine it surrounded by rose arbours, colourful borders and a vegetable garden in a grove of ancient oaks and beech.  So very Miss Marple.  And definitely not that close to a pit head, think what it could do to the fresh, starched, white linen on the washing line.

Only my view, others may be available.

Best wishes to you and Kim for Christmas and the New Year.

John

I'm inclined to agree with you John although the new Windsor Hill extension is meant to be several miles south of the colliery.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can think of cases where there was a sunken lane where a cut up had been made to access the fields and a cottage was accessed of that cut.  At one it was a workmans cottage not one of those twee ones but a bit up from the row of farm hands cottages. One of the sons lived there perhaps. We have lived in two places where there was houses above a bank.  The first had a row of three semis there was an access road behind them between the houses and the garden  which joined the road where the bank was lower.  The second one had been a ancient track up onto the hills the lowerpart had become a road there had been a farm access  above the lane along the edge  and a row of assorted houses were built along the track as the estate was sold off. People had cut there own access down to the lane leaving the track as a footpath.

Don

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The schoolboy error on the 4F has been fixed - repeat 100 times 'I must not look at things upside down!'  One issue has been identified - the rods were catching on a bent brake block.  It is still a little bit hesitant so I'm wondering if the quartering is very slightly off.  It's more noticeable forwards then backwards - with drive to the rear axle reverse is pulling the other two axles while forwards is pushing them.  I will provide a little more TLC and a critical eye!

John

• Like 3

I sometimes find that you have to play about with the quartering, making tiny adjustments, to find the sweet spot which is as good forwards as backwards.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, queensquare said:

This is only a phone snap so only the foreground is in focus but, even when fuzzy, this sort of perfectly authentic train just confirms my feeling that, despite it being an awful lot of work, you can’t touch pre-group modelling. Discuss!!

Jerry

IMG_0406.jpeg.2e99d346720b5f9e8c8f500e9641d1cd.jpeg

IMG_0403.jpeg.9806345441bca7d2e92bf008a81eec7f.jpeg

Jerry,

looks like an LNWR van. Did you use use that paint I gave you?

Jol

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Jerry,

looks like an LNWR van. Did you use use that paint I gave you?

Jol

Hi Jol, it is. I have a couple of pictures of this van being in use in  trains over the line.

At the moment it’s the only LNW coach I’ve painted. It was the problems I had with this which prompted me to seek your advice. Needless to say I have several part built which will use the paint you kindly gave me!

Jerry

IMG_0408.jpeg.e074911798c5b6711a8c135db6b5831e.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, queensquare said:

despite it being an awful lot of work, you can’t touch pre-group modelling. Discuss!!

Looks fantastic!

All my stock is ~1935 and I'm incredibly aware that I only need to backdate a little to run SDJR rolling stock. Mind you, I have to build a layout first, before I need to learn how to build coach and wagon kits along with repainting locomotives…

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Pre-group gets my vote.

I do like these views of trains in open countryside few layouts have room for that

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1