Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Izzy said:

I keep reading of people saying such things aren't neccesary but I can only think they haven't had any experience of the difference they make and especially with smaller locos in 2mm. Sometimes it's subtle, at others it's like night and day. Once you discover the benefits it becomes silly not to fit them but finding the space can add to the fun!

Bob

It's not "necessary" but it can often make a huge improvement, particularly for short-wheelbase locos - in any scale.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Don, John Greenwood built the basic loco in exchange for some of the buildings on Padstow. Being impatient I brought it home earlier this year unfinished and completed the detailing myself - as usual John’s work is excellent.

it’s plain black so May get painted sooner rather than later! 

Jerry

Is the capitalisation of May a Freudian slip?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a shame you only had the perfect shunter for it at it's last exhibition! No.1 was brilliant.

I'm looking forward to the scale model of Lower Writhlington Colliery that will replace Foxcote on the exhibition circuit...

Simon 

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I couldn't make Railwells this year for logistical reasons, unfortunately.

Am I right in thinking that, in retirement, Foxcote New Pit will be repurposed within the big home layout?

John 

You are John. I actually retired it some while ago when I rebuilt Highbury into Foxcote to suit the home layout as it’s now awkward to operate at a show but Chris Challis persuaded me to bring it out one last time. It was fun, mainly thanks to my team of operators who did a great job, but it won’t happen again!

Callum took some footage on the Saturday so hopefully we will get a few minutes of it in proper pre-group mode in a few days time.

16 hours ago, 65179 said:

Just a shame you only had the perfect shunter for it at it's last exhibition! No.1 was brilliant.

I'm looking forward to the scale model of Lower Writhlington Colliery that will replace Foxcote on the exhibition circuit...

Simon 

Im thrilled with No 1, she performed brilliantly, I’m sold on stay alives.

I did look at Lower Writhlington when I built Highbury over twenty years ago - it would make a lovely model - but the footprint is awkward for an exhibition layout. I did a track plan inspired by it for a BRM article a couple of years ago. Can’t check which one as camping in Swanage - this is about 7.00 this morning when I walked across the fields with the dogs! Nice little line up - reminds me of John Greenwood’s Bodmine!

Jerry

IMG_1237.jpeg

IMG_1238.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

You are John. I actually retired it some while ago when I rebuilt Highbury into Foxcote to suit the home layout as it’s now awkward to operate at a show but Chris Challis persuaded me to bring it out one last time. It was fun, mainly thanks to my team of operators who did a great job, but it won’t happen again!

Callum took some footage on the Saturday so hopefully we will get a few minutes of it in proper pre-group mode in a few days time.

Im thrilled with No 1, she performed brilliantly, I’m sold on stay alives.

I did look at Lower Writhlington when I built Highbury over twenty years ago - it would make a lovely model - but the footprint is awkward for an exhibition layout. I did a track plan inspired by it for a BRM article a couple of years ago. Can’t check which one as camping in Swanage

Jerry

Swanage looks great Jerry. Have a lovely time.

Lower Writhlington would have to be T-shaped (or cross-shaped with the tramway):

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.6&lat=51.29682&lon=-2.42457&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

because of the tracks to the screens being at right angles to the mainline.

So less than ideal for many exhibition halls. Just think of the mess your operators could create though!

Simon

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Swanage looks great Jerry. Have a lovely time.

Lower Writhlington would have to be T-shaped (or cross-shaped with the tramway):

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.6&lat=51.29682&lon=-2.42457&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

because of the tracks to the screens being at right angles to the mainline.

So less than ideal for many exhibition halls. Just think of the mess your operators could create though!

Simon

If you follow the tramway east of Writhlington colliery you arrive at the real Foxcote.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

An absorbing account of progress as usual, Gerry - a shame that I never got to see Foxcote on the exhibition circuit. Wells is a bit of a trek for me but good to see that Mick made the trip to represent the region. I'll have to wait until you bring Tucking Mill suitably far North...

It was good to see your 2mm empire getting a mention in the new Pictorial Atlas of the S&D. The S&D isn't my usual tipple as it's one part of the UK I've never visited, but I have to say that I bought this magnificent new book on the back of my interest in the route being kindled by your modelling work. It's an expensive and weighty tome but I've not been disappointed. Like the Forest of Dean, I find the "rural industrial" scene there much more interesting and appealing than the sometimes bleak industrial panoramas which were created up here in the North East.

Edited by chrisveitch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Thanks Chris, I didn’t notice I’d got a mention in the new S&D atlas. I agree it’s excellent though I’ve only really  looked at the pictures so far!

One snap I took at Wells which I had forgotten about is when I took No 1 up to meet her much bigger, original condition, sister loco on the beautiful 7mm Bridgwater. 

Jerry (with a J😊)

IMG_1205.jpeg.6c307e3ee7540cb771cdf51a8e7f491d.jpeg

IMG_1214.jpeg.68031a4f16d770ab03055e57ec1ab83b.jpeg

Mmmmm.....I do like a Fox Walker.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2023 at 20:55, queensquare said:

Small or large sir!

Large...we prefer large........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

at this rate your need a bigger shed (again)

Tempting Nick but this little extension will definitely be it -  it’s only a few feet so the line runs into a tunnel when it enters the fiddle yard rather by than exiting via a hole in the sky!

Jerry

• Like 4