Bath Queen Square

queensquare

My late father always had a dozen or so chooks (and a rooster) for years. We always had fresh eggs which we shared with our Scottish neighbours.

If they didn't lay dad used to sit in front of the chook yard and sharpen his axe. Worked a treat but if it didn't we ate poultry for a while.

These were the days when everyone had a vege garden and a lemon and orange tree in their yard. There was quite a competition in the family with the growing of tomatoes.

My late folks were wizards in the garden. Dad had champion camelias and even had a new recognized variant named after mum (Elegance Perle).

Their skill skipped my generation....

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Handful of 2mm modelling friends around yesterday and, amongst other things, talk turned to the best way to convert the new EFE Austerity. 
Between us we managed to muster half a dozenAusterities. The front three are the work of John ‘Doncaster Green’ - untouched Farish, heavily breathed on Farish with an Association chassis and EFE out of the box (though we did whip the couplings off!)

The next three are mine - the EFE EP and production blue NCB models ( these will become Ted and Archie for my grandsons), and finally Highbury, P&D Marsh tanks and cab, scratch footplate and chassis etc 

IMG_1547.jpeg.bd4f7f3a57d0ed6790ea2f6c924829c4.jpeg

John’s reworking of the rather lumpy Farish original looks really good, even when compared to the rather nice new EFE model.

IMG_1543.jpeg.e701d659a953d99eed27fd46882dcadb.jpeg

No firm conclusion was reached on the best way to finescale the new EFE model though favourite is looking like turning down the wheels and fitting new tyres. 

Jerry

• Like 15

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

Handful of 2mm modelling friends around yesterday and, amongst other things, talk turned to the best way to convert the new EFE Austerity. 
Between us we managed to muster half a dozenAusterities. The front three are the work of John ‘Doncaster Green’ - untouched Farish, heavily breathed on Farish with an Association chassis and EFE out of the box (though we did whip the couplings off!)

The next three are mine - the EFE EP and production blue NCB models ( these will become Ted and Archie for my grandsons), and finally Highbury, P&D Marsh tanks and cab, scratch footplate and chassis etc 

IMG_1547.jpeg.bd4f7f3a57d0ed6790ea2f6c924829c4.jpeg

John’s reworking of the rather lumpy Farish original looks really good, even when compared to the rather nice new EFE model.

IMG_1543.jpeg.e701d659a953d99eed27fd46882dcadb.jpeg

No firm conclusion was reached on the best way to finescale the new EFE model though favourite is looking like turning down the wheels and fitting new tyres. 

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes - John's reworked Farish is rather good with a nice job round the cab!

My 3d print one is progressing too. As for my EFE one I think I have a way to adapt the bearings to fit association wheels.

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments Jerry and John.  There are a couple of things to do to finish it off ready for some paint (to cover the mistakes).  When I get that far, about 2025 at current progress, I will write it up with some detail on my Green Papers topic.  The unmolested Farish was due to be the next candidate, for the micro layout project I have in mind I need two, but the kind donation of a Farish body by Jerry has saved its bacon.  All I need now is a chassis etch which is TOS in Shop 3 - if anyone has one lurking in their gloat box they wouldn't mind parting with I'd be happy to pay for it.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed reading through the article in the latest MRJ Jerry, something nice about seeing it in print rather than on screen. Didn’t realise this layout has been your life’s work! It really is looking splendid.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Cheers John, kim had her favourite blue Ibanez.

For those interested we did numbers from Tom Waits, Dylan, J J Cale and Johnny Cash.

Jerry

We're a bit alike Jerry. I married a kit drummer. We had a nine piece band (complete with horn section) for a while. My brother was a semi-pro jazz musician. Something about musicians and trains....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, queensquare said:

Cheers John, kim had her favourite blue Ibanez.

For those interested we did numbers from Tom Waits, Dylan, J J Cale and Johnny Cash.

Jerry

I approve wholeheartedly of the taste in guitars and music here!

Unfortunately I'm not going to get down to Uckfield now as I would have liked to see some of the old Rice classics - hopefully some of them may venture to The North in time.

Cheers,

John

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yaxxbarl said:

Unfortunately I'm not going to get down to Uckfield now as I would have liked to see some of the old Rice classics - hopefully some of them may venture to The North in time.

Derbyshire?  The North?  That's almost the Deep South from where I'm sitting!

Jim

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• Moderators
8 hours ago, queensquare said:

born in the workshop and spent most days of her fourteen years there with me.

And very contented she always looked there, especially if you'd got the fire on. Lovely girl.

Really sorry to read that yesterday.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Commiserations to you both from me too, Jerry.  Pets become part of the family and it's never easy losing one, whether it's your own or is part of one of your family's family.  Still miss the Beagles my daughter had, though the last one passed away several years ago.

Jim

• Thanks 1