The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Engelbert for Eurovision !

edcayton

• RMweb Premium

I see this one is running and running - just as I will when the competion is on - running away from the telly. My reference to the songs of 1959/60 actually reflect when I last actually watched this travesty. Well, that's not quite true, as I did tune in occasionally for the entertainment value of Katie Boyle fluffing her lines, and for the acidic comments of one Mr Wogan which though brilliant, were actually in a lot of cases, bordering on the offensive (Dr Death and the Tooth Fairy was. I think, just a step too far even for hardened anti Eurovision people).

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there is anybody who is prepared to admit that they are likely to watch it?

I am was planning to watch it, as a life long fan of the eurovison song contest, however there are more importnt things going on with azerbjan ( however its spelt).

ie human rights abuses specifically reports of peope being forcably evicted from their homes so the new venue can be built for the show.

then we find out we are being represented by Engleburt :banghead: why so out of touch when we have tons of talented musicians in this counrty covering all variety of styles.

the ultimate reason we dont take the Eurovision seriously in this country is the mockery Wogan made of it over the years, as an Irish man he did the Uk's eurovison prospects a great disservice, his attitude and that of some of the BBC's producers in selecting this entry have made us the laughing stock of Europe.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Laughing stock of Europe? I think there's rather more British bands in the best selling artists of all time than Eurovision winners:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Wogan gave this Mickey Mouse contest the respect it deserved, it least his commentary provided some degree of entertainment.

Guest Natalie Graham

the ultimate reason we dont take the Eurovision seriously in this country is the mockery Wogan made of it over the years, as an Irish man he did the Uk's eurovison prospects a great disservice, his attitude and that of some of the BBC's producers in selecting this entry have made us the laughing stock of Europe.

Very true. The UK regards the whole thing as a big joke, then gets miffed because we don't win.

That listing on Wikipedia of best selling artists is terribly flawed. The 'Stones have sold way more than that (certainly more than that fat bird Mariah Carey)!. Taylor Swift sold more records than Eric Clapton? etc., etc.

I agree with your point though.

Best, Pete.

Pity we cant have Tiny Tim!...

Although he's dead (RIP November 30, 1996), that should not really present a barrier to Eurovision success considering the likely competition. If nothing else, Tiny Tim's "tiptoe through the tulips" was highly memorable, unlike the instantly forgettable Eurovision songs...

F

Archived