The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Engelbert for Eurovision !

edcayton

Yay! Good news! Just heard on t'wireless that Engelbert Please Release Me Humperdinck is to represent Britain in the wonderful Eurovision Song Contest this year.

He is 75, so there is hope for us wrinklies yet, and no excuse not to watch this year. Kinda makes the Olympics insignificant by comparison.

( can't get a smiley dammit)

Ed

After seeing the hilarious Monty Python spoof of "eurosongs", oh so many years ago, I can never take such things seriously.

Apart from ABBA (an acquired [sacharine] taste, methinks), the Eurovision song contest doesn't have muich of a track record for generating long lived artistes

F

p.s. the Eurovision song contest probably gives serious Musos like Trisonic the heebie-jeebies

I'm sure a certain news presenter was trying not to laugh.

Actually, I smell desperation. The BBC have tried everything to win short of getting all the other entrants disqualified. Can Arnold George Dorsey, for it is he, really deliver where Pete Waterman, Andrew Lloyd Webber and many other luminaries [is that the correct spelling of loonies?] have failed? The nearest we have come to a victory in recent years is when Jonathan King was involved - did not "Love Shine A Light" by Katrina minus the Waves represent us that year?

On the bright side, the winning country has to pay for the next contest. We have had a lucky escape for 15 years. The Irish got stuck with it for three years on the trot! That could be why the singing lavatory brushes are representing them again this year.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Seems like eurobore is a as much a favourite in other RMWeb'r's households as it is in this one. And as Chris says it's just as well we keep on not winning because if we ever do the lead up to it would put all the Olympics hysteria (and costs?) in the shade. And presumably Hornby would then be issuing a Sandie Shaw commemorative set with the original L1 and two 'shorty' coaches.

Too true, perhaps?....

• Angleterre: Le Big Band (Eric Clapton, Dave Gilmour [vocals & guitars], Keith Emerson [keyboards], Cozy Powell [drums], Paul McCartney [bass]) - nul points
  • Terre européenne moyenne obscure: Les Synchros (M. Oubliable [Lip Synching]) Dix Points

Whoever you send, you're not gonna get anywhere!

F

• RMweb Premium

To win the Euro-muso-trash (is it a?) competition, all you need to do is to have a useless song, sung by a useless singer, and have these representing a former Communist state in Eastern Europe. The UK will never win, as we can only achieve two out of three of these. There's only been a handful of decent Euro winner songs EVER - like it or not, Abba's "Waterloo" was one, and the other was "What's Another Year" performed by Johnny Logan. No idea how either of these actually managed to win among the plethora of musical dross which has (and still does) abound.

Being a tad cynical, is the choice of Mr Dorsey Humperdink indicative of an attempt to revive an otherwise ending musical career.

On the bright side, the winning country has to pay for the next contest. We have had a lucky escape for 15 years. The Irish got stuck with it for three years on the trot!

Cue - "My Lovely Horse" ...

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully this will be the death knell for the UKs involvement in this now pointless show. Englebert is made for this twaddle, of course he will jump at the opportunity because he was all but forgotten.

What were the people who pick our representative thinking of when they picked him, I despair.

Blimey, there's some miseries on here ;)

Ahem, one has been known, after a sherbet of course, to indulge oneself in the local hostelries karaoke, two particular favs,

Delilah, in which one occasional hits a right note and of course.....

Ppppppppppppllllllllleeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee reeeeleeeeeaaasssseeee mmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee etc :drinks:

Points deRat Noir............néant!

Nul pwat

Guest dilbert

I feel sorry in a way for the artists (although they do have a choice) but the songwriting is of an equally nebulous quality = commercial dross... dilbert

• RMweb Premium

After seeing the hilarious Monty Python spoof of "eurosongs", oh so many years ago, I can never take such things seriously.

Apart from ABBA (an acquired [sacharine] taste, methinks), the Eurovision song contest doesn't have muich of a track record for generating long lived artistes

F

p.s. the Eurovision song contest probably gives serious Musos like Trisonic the heebie-jeebies

It shouldn't be taken seriously, as Wogan never did, as you say it's not like it's produced a stream of long lasting hitmakers - I'm pretty sure Abba are the only Eurovision band to make the 250 top selling music acts list on Wikipedia. No 'serious' artist would be seen dead doing it anyway.

As someone who is the wrong side of 60, I can remember the early days of Eurotrash er, vision when our entry

comprised "Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnston". He was in his tweed sports jacket and flannel trousers while she

wore a sticky-out frock with many underskirts.The set comprised a chair for PC to sit in with TD standing behind

her with a shaky plain curtain as a back drop.Compare that to the Mega Millions spent on this farce today.

I can't remember if they won or not but they sang something with the snappy title of "Singing High High High,

Singing Low Low Low"

"Disgruntled" of Neilston

Archived