Real life textures - brick walls with deep mortar courses

• RMweb Gold

Whilst en-route to Birmingham last week, my train was stopped in one of the brick-lined cuttings outside New Street for border controls and our papers to be checked, so I took the opportunity to take a couple of snaps of the brick work on the cutting retaining wall.

What interested me was the fact that the mortar was pretty uniformly deeply set into the brick work, and not virtually flush as in many buildings. Perhaps a prototype for the Wills sheets after all? ;)

post-57-0-36994400-1330724091.jpg

post-57-0-79267600-1330724101.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Brings back memories of my former commuting life, being stuck in one of those cuttings between Five Ways & New Street awaiting the signals. :no:

I've noticed a few walls around Exeter with the opposite effect - they're sandstone which has weathered away worse than the mortar, leaving the mortar courses proud of the stone faces. Now that would be a challenge to replicate! :O Unfortunately as I'm usually on a bus, I can't stop to get pictures....

• RMweb Gold

I've noticed a few walls around Exeter with the opposite effect - they're sandstone which has weathered away worse than the mortar, leaving the mortar courses proud of the stone faces. Now that would be a challenge to replicate!

Use South Eastern Finecast brick sheets, but inside out. This gives a mortar course standing proud of the bricks.

Archived