RMweb

The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

The original version of that post (since edited) made a comment about the DBS steels contract being up for renewal and then something about "throwing their barbies out of the pram" or similar so I assumed that it was implying that GBRf might get it and need class 70s to haul it (possibly handing back some of the 66s still in First barbie livery). It's probably just froth though.

I doubt the DBS steel traffic contract will be up for renewal as they have just repainted 60099 in TaTa Steel livery to promote DBS as haulier of TaTa Steel traffic(ie all rail steel traffic)

Thanks for that - tug 71 is my target too for the day, along with the Bristol bins and whatever else is about. Still, at least there is some snow on the ground today :lol: unlike Saturday's will it - won't it moments

cheers

jo

Pleasure - it ran to time too - the light was just on the cusp of being too dark. A pleasant if EXTREMELY cold afternoon at Shrivenham - yielded 6 freights in 4 hours - the 3 most interesting below - 59002 being unexpected - suddenly appearing on TOPS as leaving Didcot not Banbury which is where it actually came from (even having access to the system on site via a laptop is not always a guarantee of knowing what's where and when). :rolleyes:

The 59 gets included as it's the closest thing to a TUG without actually being one and the "Bins" -well they're just interesting :D

post-5198-027374500 1291143836_thumb.jpg

post-5198-062217500 1291143871_thumb.jpg

post-5198-075998000 1291143915_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I doubt the DBS steel traffic contract will be up for renewal as they have just repainted 60099 in TaTa Steel livery to promote DBS as haulier of TaTa Steel traffic(ie all rail steel traffic)

No need to doubt, it IS up for renewal

Two EWS liveried tugs today, one at Westerleigh and the other heading east out of Wales just by the toll booths on the M4, unfortunately I couldn't see the number.

Pete

PS do they stable 2 or 3 track machines at Westerleigh? I could see some yellow painted vehicles at the far end of the terminal.

No need to doubt, it IS up for renewal

what a waste repainting 60099 if they loose the steel traffic- but isnt DBS more competitive since they took over EWS?

They have retained and even won back some traffic previously lost so maybe they will retain the steel traffic after it is re-tendered.

• RMweb Gold

what a waste repainting 60099 if they loose the steel traffic- but isnt DBS more competitive since they took over EWS?

They have retained and even won back some traffic previously lost so maybe they will retain the steel traffic after it is re-tendered.

All the above may be true but it doesn't alter the contract end date. 60099 might have been repainted to try and impress, but that to, doesn't alter the contract end date.

Sorry if this has been posted but there's an article in Modern railways this months issue, saying that they DBS may evaluate the costs needed to refurbish between 15 and 20 class 60s. It also says that 60007 is likely to be the first loco overhauled, and that the costs are to be scrutinized by DBS to see how much it would cost to overhaul more locos and to what standard.

So good news then. smile.gif

The 59 gets included as it's the closest thing to a TUG without actually being one and the "Bins" -well they're just interesting :D

Rubbish! You ought to be banned from the thread if you're going to post garbage like that ;)

Nice pics though :)

Although fuel saving would save cash in the long run a order for around 20 class 70s would cost upwards of £20,000,000 as they are around £900,000-£1 million each?

The cost of overhauling a few 60s that are already in reasonable condition(not 081 or 098!) would be less so it would probably work out cheaper to overhaul some 60s than to go ahead and order a new fleet of 70s.

Rubbish! You ought to be banned from the thread if you're going to post garbage like that ;)

Nice pics though :)

59 / 60 only one number different = closest thing ??? :lol:

Always happy to provoke !! :P

Pool WC back up to 17 locos again

• RMweb Gold

Although fuel saving would save cash in the long run a order for around 20 class 70s would cost upwards of £20,000,000 as they are around £900,000-£1 million each?

The cost of overhauling a few 60s that are already in reasonable condition(not 081 or 098!) would be less so it would probably work out cheaper to overhaul some 60s than to go ahead and order a new fleet of 70s.

Not quite as simple as that, they don't necessarily have to buy the 70s themselves, like the 66s they could be leased - but we are wandering so let's wait and see.

True, but the leasing costs of the locos for the first few years will be rather expensive I would have thought and then the cost will decrease as the years go by. I heard somwhere that DBS will own outright its 66s if it leases them for 15 years or more. What ever happened to the days when railways compaines owned all there own locos! :D

Anyway does anyone know if 045 or 099 is still at Arpley?

• RMweb Gold

True, but the leasing costs of the locos for the first few years will be rather expensive I would have thought and then the cost will decrease as the years go by. I heard somwhere that DBS will own outright its 66s if it leases them for 15 years or more.

I'm not party to the lease costs and I suspect you're not either, but when I had lease cars the term was agreed up front and the cost was consistent for the during of the lease. Btw - leasing isn't the same as hire purchase.

What ever happened to the days when railways compaines owned all there own locos! :D

They lease rather than owning because they don't want the capital cost of obtaining the fleet from new, without the leasing companies the railway would now be in a very poor state

Anyway does anyone know if 045 or 099 is still at Arpley?

045 is on the LBT/FFPS circuit and 099 went back to Immingham

• RMweb Premium

60045 was/is on 6F78 as I type heading to LBT via the Low level., and 60084

took 6H03 from Oakleigh to Tunstead earlier. 084 is a candidate for storage next week according to sources.

HTH

Pleasure - it ran to time too - the light was just on the cusp of being too dark. A pleasant if EXTREMELY cold afternoon at Shrivenham - yielded 6 freights in 4 hours - the 3 most interesting below - 59002 being unexpected - suddenly appearing on TOPS as leaving Didcot not Banbury which is where it actually came from (even having access to the system on site via a laptop is not always a guarantee of knowing what's where and when). :rolleyes:

Here's 071 later the same day, passing Rodbourne in the very end of the day's light on 6B33 - some serious RAW file editing happened here, as to get a sharp shot, even at ISO1600, made the piccy rather dark. Damn I miss the summer...:lol:

post-6899-021215400 1291335937_thumb.jpg

Got the bins too, as well as the wineliner in the morning, in here http://joalder.fotop...t/c1921168.html

Went over to a slightly familiar location today (though from a different angle) for a second stab at it - though the snow that was looking good around home thinned out just a little the other side of Swindon :(

post-6899-087398700 1291335919_thumb.jpg

Two EWS liveried tugs today, one at Westerleigh and the other heading east out of Wales just by the toll booths on the M4, unfortunately I couldn't see the number.

PS do they stable 2 or 3 track machines at Westerleigh? I could see some yellow painted vehicles at the far end of the terminal.

If my memory serves me correctly it would have been 60010 sat in Westerleigh waiting to take 6E41 to Lindsey, and 60096 working 6B13 from Robeston to Westerleigh.

There is a Network Rail training centre at Westerleigh, and I believe OTP is used in relation with this, also Colas tend to stable stuff there from time to time too

cheers

jo

• Like 2

Morning All

for those that are brave enough to venture out today -

60071 booked on 6B33 ex Theale via the Berks & Hants (was on arrival time at Theale this am)

60011 - at Kingsbury booked on 6E54

60015 & 60098 double heading working 6V98 Lindsay - Westerleigh - currently at Cheltenham over 7 hours late - someone please photograph this !!!! 60098 is booked for 6E31 afterwards

60019 is @ Colnbrook

60039 @ Peak Forest booked for 6F05

60045 working Arpley - Fiddlers Fery on 6F89

60049 @ Westbury

60074 @ Staylebridge booked for 6E72

60084 @ Tunstead booked 6J46

60091 @ Acton booked on 6E38

60096 working 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh - 18 late approaching Newport and booked 6B47 after

60013 / 54 / 99 are all failed at the moment

Westerleigh seems to be the place to go

60098 is a gutted shell at toton?

I doubt it will be working today! :D

TYPOOOOO ! :P 6V98 - 60098 - had too many 98's in mind at once - can't remember which 60 it was now.

Anyway - was worth braving the sleety rain this lunchtime - 60071 on 6B33 at Great Cheverall

post-5198-089376800 1291475352_thumb.jpg

Also two 66 ballast trains in the opposite direction so 3 locos on a Saturday lunchtime - can't complain :D

• RMweb Gold

60 019 seen stopped at Newport for a Crew change and heading east 530pm today.

Must say I quite like the 60s despite out of my modelling time frame

I was on my way home from Chester work related, not enough time for photo as my train arrived