The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

I have a question. Why do I sometimes see a class 60 on the Ipswich line coming through Bury on what looks to be gravel wagons but may be coal. The past couple of times I have been too far away to get a number or a good look at the wagons. Both 60's I have seen have been ews liveried ones but I have also seen many Sheds with rmc wagons.

any help would be nice?

Lukasz

I think the working youre mentioning originates from Norwich Trowse, sometimes goes to Mountsorrel as 6M43 failing that theres also a Norwich Trowse to Peak Forest that also runs in the afternoon 6M20, Norwich Trowse is the virtual Quarry you see on your left as you come into Norwich near where the line joins from Theftford/Wymondham

NL

• RMweb Premium

Here s a picture of 60074 working 6H03 Oakleigh-Tunstead this morning. I slipped in the mud whilst taking these so this is the bestohmy.gif.

60015 is on its way to Warrington , that ll be 3 tugs at Warrington now (010,015,099) .

post-7052-0-25613800-1294761298_thumb.jpg

Is this a proper overhaul or a sticky plaster ?

Bluebird.

This one's just a repaint from what I gather. 60007 was earmarked to be the first in red, which is currently undergoing a pretty major overhaul. I understand 054 and 091 are the next to be put through overhaul at Toton

It'd look nice with the red Murco tanks, wouldn't it :lol:

cheers

jo

I was going to say that a thorough overhaul (now that it's actually happening) and members of the class being repainted in DBS red was a good sign for the survival of the 60s but then I remembered that that's pretty much what happened to 37419 and 37670 just before DBS decided to pull the plug on their entire class 37 fleet. Maybe not so good after all huh.gif

Definitely hope that 054 doesn't get repainted.

I think the working youre mentioning originates from Norwich Trowse, sometimes goes to Mountsorrel as 6M43 failing that theres also a Norwich Trowse to Peak Forest that also runs in the afternoon 6M20, Norwich Trowse is the virtual Quarry you see on your left as you come into Norwich near where the line joins from Theftford/Wymondham

NL

Ahh thank you. It doesn't explain the loco being on the ipswich line but it gives me a lot more scope for catching this service closer to home.

Do you have any running times?

Cheers,

Lukasz

I was going to say that a thorough overhaul (now that it's actually happening) and members of the class being repainted in DBS red was a good sign for the survival of the 60s but then I remembered that that's pretty much what happened to 37419 and 37670 just before DBS decided to pull the plug on their entire class 37 fleet. Maybe not so good after all huh.gif

Definitely hope that 054 doesn't get repainted.

I wouldnt be suprised if 011 was stored sometime this year. It has suffered fire damage in the past so this wouldnt have helped the general mechanical condition of engine room area. It appears 37670 has been sold to EMR, what a waste (of paint and a loco!)

I'd like to correct myself.

I don't know how but through a case of serious stupidity I forgot that theres a whole line connecting Bury St Edmunds to Norwich.

I just assumed that the loco would work the less busy Breckland line.

I don't really know why.

My mistake.

Well at least thats cleared it up.

As mentioned any times would be appreciated.

regards,

Lukasz

3 different 60`s working in Cheshire today

post-8699-0-20891200-1294855266_thumb.jpg

60010 at Warrington Arpley on 12th January 2010 working Fiddlers Ferry to Walton Old.

post-8699-0-16289000-1294855339_thumb.jpg

60099 at Warrington Arpley on 12th January 2010 working Walton Old to Fiddlers Ferry.

post-8699-0-15870800-1294855407_thumb.jpg

60074 at Lostock Gralam on 12th January 2010 working Oakleigh to Peak Forest.

More pictures at http://www.mark5812....t/c1929220.html

Mark

• Like 2

So, I managed to catch the red 60 today - it's a very nice paintjob, very neat. Looks good nice and clean, too, won't last long though :lol: I like how it looks with the red tanks too. Bring on some more red 60s!

post-6899-0-10016700-1294944342_thumb.jpg

60011 glows in the gloom as it passes Hall End, near Wickwar, with 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh

post-6899-0-04835100-1294944370_thumb.jpg

60011 in DB red stabled at Westerleigh after working 6B13 from Robeston

post-6899-0-64830400-1294944494_thumb.jpg

Looking rather grubbier than Tug 11, Army livery 60040 passes Hall End with 6E41 from Westerleigh to Lindsey, apparing seconds after 6B13

There are a load more from Westerleigh here http://joalder.fotopic.net/c1932474.html and the rest of today's snaps including a Colas 66 and DRS 57s

cheers

jo

• Like 1

It also looked darker in the centre of the bodyside. I'm assuming this is down to the very shiny finish, with the angled back cab reflecting the sky, and the bodyside reflecting the trees. I remember the 59 did funny things when it was first repainted in certain lights. Here's hoping 011 lasts down here until we get some sun!

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

. I remember the 59 did funny things when it was first repainted in certain lights. Here's hoping 011 lasts down here until we get some sun!

Here's hoping 011 comes north sometime....

I think it looks better with a grey cab roof.

Red (and the many shades of crimson/maroon etc) always causes problems - be it in a photograph or on a model. For some reason, one person's perception of red is different to another's.

Nice pics anyway!

Cheers,

Mick