Riverside Cement.

The Yorkshire Pud

This is a good subject (though I would say that) - your modelling is much neater and far more tidy that mine!

Wanted to PM you but can't - can you drop me a line via my web below?

Cheers Chris !! ....... I don't know about neater and tidier than yours, but nice of you to say so anyhoo :)

I have always been drawn more to the industrial type of layout ........ I guess it's in my blood.

BTW, sorry about you not being able to PM me ......... I had a look at my settings, and the PM gubbins was disabled for some reason ........ normal service has been resumed now though.

Simon.

Simon

Your last picture looks great. I can already start to imagine what it may look like once all of the scenery and details are added. If this is your first layout, then you are doing really well.

Great work and keep us updated.

Dave

Cheers Dave !! ...... my imagination is working overtime too.

I've got lots of ideas for detailing the various parts of the layout ...... time will tell how things eventually turn out !!

Looking good. Will the layout eventually incorporate an actual system whereby the Seacows, or whatever is appropriate, can be loaded with 1:76 scale cement by a co-operator through a funnel in the main hopper building or something like that? You'd get a huge amount of interest at exhibitions and it would make the whole layout experience more realistic I suppose. Really looking forward to seeing this layout progress further. Good luck with the remaining work.

Andy.

Thanks Andy.

I can't say I ever thought about actually loading the stone wagons from the hopper ....... sounds a really good idea, not sure whether I would get it to work in practice ........ I reckon I've enough on my plate though,but thanks for the idea !!

Oh yes, that's looking really good. That barge is excellent. Definitely see the cement quay lineage.

As for my earlier comment, just enjoy yourself . If red death is perfect I expect his cement works to have an operable rotary kiln. This is a broad church ...

Cheers rob !! ....... I likes the barge a lot too ....... it definitely adds to the layout.

Simon.

hi

looking good , coming along nicely.

Hugh

Thanks a lot Hugh ........ nice of you to say mate

:)

Hi Simon,

The large buildings work well on the scene and the photos with the 37 give a good sense of scale. Good to see the building dominating the scene, rather than having too much track. There will certainly be plenty of opportunity for weathering and detailing.

The barge sits in well also.

Keep up the good work and following with interest.

Thats why I like Chris Nevards layouts so much ....... he packs the buildings in well, which to me, gives his layouts a lot more realism.

As you say too, I am going to try not to cram too much track in ....... I guess in the real world, track costs money, so anything unnecessary just wouldn't be there.

Cheers !!

I can't wait to see the barge painted and weathered.

You and me both mate !! :derisive:

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone !! :)

Sorry for the long gap since my last post ....... the Easter break kind of got in the way of modelling for a while, and a busy week since.

I had a spot of 12" -1ft modelling to do in the garden over the holidays, in the form of putting up some new wooden fences and a gate.

Worked out well in the end though !! ....... the missus was so pleased with the end result that she stumped up the pennies, and bought me this little beaut from Kernow Model Rail Centre as a thank you.

(Told you she was a Grand Lass !!)

post-3897-0-96262400-1334522039.jpg

Bachmann Class 37 ...... 37521 (English China Clays) in EWS (slightly weathered) livery.

What a nice model it is too.

I spent an hour or so this afternoon running it in with my little Gaugemaster DC controller, but I dont think it really needed it, because like the other Bachmann Class 37 I have, it ran very smoothly, straight out of the box, and at very low speed too without any jerkiness ...... Top marks to Bachmann for their quality !! :danced:

Well done to Kernow Model Rail Centre too ...... First Class Royal Mail, from Cornwall up to Yorkie Pud land ....... ordered and delivered in a day and a bit ....... Lovely service !!

As for the layout itself, well I spent this afternoon finishing the MDF shells for the buildings on the right hand side of the layout. I also managed to get the front building half covered with Wills Corrugated sheeting ....... I will get some pictures up over the coming days.

Whilst at my local B@Q the other day on a trip to get some bags of cement for the fencing, I also found that they sell 7mm x 7mm white PVC angle section ....... absolutely ideal for the corners of the corrugated sheeted buildings, and only a couple of pounds for a metre length ....... suffice it to say, I came away with one or two !!

Good value considering the cost of the Evergreen type sections.

I have already fitted it on to the Stone Processing Building, and I reckon it is just the job ....... finishes the corners off nicely !!

I will post a pic of this too when I get chance over the coming days ........ not enough hours in the day at the mo' ........ still, no rush ....... another thoroughly relaxing and fun days modelling !!

Cheers !!

Simon. :derisive:

Evening everyone :)

As promised, here are a few more pictures showing my progress so far with the buildings for the right hand side of the layout.

The front building has a wing running off the rear, under which the trains will enter the layout, thus helping to hide the hole in the backscene.

This wing has now been joined to the front building, and as of yesterday evening, this was as far as I had got with the Wills sheeting.

post-3897-0-53102900-1334701448.jpg

I was also toying with the idea of a further taller building to the rear of these, and even made the MDF shell for it, but after thinking about it for a day or so, have decided not to use it, as it made the corner too cluttered, and it just looked like one big building with the cement buildings.

I wanted to keep the slight seperation between the two lots of buildings, so I could have a conveyor running between them ...... otherwise the conveyor was a bit pointless.

Anyhoo ...... this evening I managed to get a couple more of the roofs fitted, using the Wills sheeting.

I also got quite a bit of the 7mm x 7mm PVC corner angle fitted ......... it was a a tad fiddly where the pieces join together on the roofs (measure thrice, cut once as the saying goes !!) but the end result was worth the time.

Looks quite convincing I reckon ........ here's a picture of todays progress.

post-3897-0-41878900-1334702172.jpg

As before, I am only building the bare shell for now (with the exception of adding the PVC corner angles) ........ I will detail the building along with the others at a later date.

Here is a slightly different view.

post-3897-0-53847900-1334702572.jpg

It's coming along nicely now ........ I shall finally be able to turn my attention to working out the trackplan soon, although as I have said before, it won't be all that complicated !!

Still for my first layout, that suits me ....... there's plenty of modelling to sink me teeth into ....... luvly jubly !! :yahoo:

Cheers.

Simon.

That looks excellent. I've got some bits left of my walther's cement works to butcher.Always wondered why the large holes in the ground at cement works have never been used to deposit spoil/rubbish ? Well they will be on my plank.

Is a cement works becoming the new TMD/ GWR branch line , I 've notice quite a few appearing ever since Mr Nevard set us off down this path....

Yikes !! ...... thought I'd broken it for a minute there !!

I was halfway through writing this post and everything went pear shaped with the Site.

Apparently we'd been hacked by some raving loony activists or somesuch ........ jeez, get a life why don't ya' !! :nono:

Now, where was I ............. oh yes ...................

Building is looking reet nice Simon :)

Regards

Scott

Reet nice eh Scott ? ............... that'll do for me mate !! :derisive:

That looks excellent. I've got some bits left of my walther's cement works to butcher.Always wondered why the large holes in the ground at cement works have never been used to deposit spoil/rubbish ? Well they will be on my plank.

Is a cement works becoming the new TMD/ GWR branch line , I 've notice quite a few appearing ever since Mr Nevard set us off down this path....

Cheers rob !!

Aye, Chris Nevard certainly started something with his excellent Cement Quay layout !!

It's an interesting subject to model though, so why not give it a go eh ? ........ it's nice to see other takes on the subject ....... only hope I can do it justice.

Simon - nice work!

Rob - I suspect it is because they don't want the hassle of waste management licences or the landfill directive.

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for that MIke ......... so far so good ........ the devils in the detail though as they say !! :mail:

Cheers Andy :)

I'm pleased with the edging ....... it's worked out well in the end, and the painting and weathering part is something I'm looking forward to (hope I don't stuff it up !! )

I've finished the basic building now (plus edging) and have also built up the conveyor, which will eventually link this building to the main Cement building.

Again, the position of the holes for this need to be worked out on the buildings, and ( very carefully !! ) cut ...... that'll be the next job.

I'm getting ever closer to the trackplan now ...... Woopity Doo !! ........... better get me thinkin' cap on :mail:

Simon.

Always wondered why the large holes in the ground at cement works have never been used to deposit spoil/rubbish ?

I suspect it is because they don't want the hassle of waste management licences or the landfill directive.

Probably because chalk and limestone is porous which would allow nasty chemicals in the waste to leach into the ground and affect the water table? Old clay pits tend to be used, the clay sealing the rubbishy nastiness from the surrounding area.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone :)

Just wanted to post an update on this evenings progress on the layout.

Last time around, I was working out where the conveyor would cross from the new right hand buildings to the main Cement building.

I didn't want the angle of the conveyor to come too far forward, rather I prefered that it cross to the rear of the roof area of the right hand building, so today I added a little extension on the roof which the conveyor feeds into.

Here's a photo looking along at the buildings ....... you can see the addition on the roof with the conveyor crossing into it from the Cement building.

post-3897-0-61818900-1336771389.jpg

I also made a start on adding the white PVC edging around it ....... should get this finished tomorrow.

The only other thing building wise that needs adressing before Track planning starts, is the loading shed on the front of the Cement building.

I reckon its just a tad too long/narrow, given the short run that the trains will take coming into the layout, before moving into the siding that takes them under this.

The Bachmann JPA's I've got are quite long beasties, so a bit of fettling may be required on it ....... shorter and slightly wider is my initial thinking ...... we'll see. :mail:

That all for now.

Cheers.

All good.

You state it is your first attempt at a layout - I don't really believe you - What method do you intend to use to do the buildings - drybrushing or powders?

Maybe a bit of practice might be in order before possibly making an attempt and hopefully not undoing all the good work you have put in.

As for the track plan too much track = unrealistic? too little = maybe tedious? A balance has to be found to make it operationally interesting before it becomes just a diorama. At 1:1 not a lot happens most if not all of the time and personally I go for the latter as railways are exactly that - tedious stuff - with first hand knowledge of empty cold wet and windswept platforms in the 1970's....

Ian

All good.

You state it is your first attempt at a layout - I don't really believe you - What method do you intend to use to do the buildings - drybrushing or powders?

Maybe a bit of practice might be in order before possibly making an attempt and hopefully not undoing all the good work you have put in.

As for the track plan too much track = unrealistic? too little = maybe tedious? A balance has to be found to make it operationally interesting before it becomes just a diorama. At 1:1 not a lot happens most if not all of the time and personally I go for the latter as railways are exactly that - tedious stuff - with first hand knowledge of empty cold wet and windswept platforms in the 1970's....

Ian

Hi Ian :)

Aye ...... first layout ....... well ....... as I've said before, I did have an initial attempt at building one back in early 2008.

Still, I'm off and running again, and if anything, the break gave me more time to plan better what I wanted to do, as the bug never left me ....... plus, as the previous attempt at a baseboard got binned, a fresh slate to start again with. :mail:

When I do start painting the buildings, I'm going to give them a base coat of Halfords grey plastic primer first.

I might have a try with the match pots ....... Chris Nevard style, to mix up the colours on the corrugated sheeting a little ....... that seems to work really well on his layouts, but I'm definitely going to be practicing on a "sacrificial lamb" building firstly !! ........ as you say, don't want to ruin all the hard work by jumping in too fast.

Colours wise, I've got a few ideas from photos of buildings trawled off the net ....... probably going to go more with light colours ..... creams/off whites/greys etc ...... and mix in some rust streaks here and there ...... we'll see ...... have a play around first, and see what works.

As for the Trackplan issue, I'm with your way of thinking ...... I would rather not too much track on the layout ...... more realistic that way ....... as long as I've got some shunting to play around with I reckon I'll be happy enough, plus for me personally, the journey getting there is just as much fun ....... modelling should be fun eh? !!

Cheers mate.

Hi everyone ....... just a quick update on todays progress. :mail:

I decided to spend the evening making a full size plan of the layout from card, so I can finally make a start on planning the trackwork.

I've also made paper templates (in plan view) of all the buildings, and accurately marked their positions on the layout plan, so I have now got an easier way of playing around with track ideas, away from the layout proper.

Next job when I'm finished here, is to print off the free templates I just found on the Peco site, for the code 75 points ........ very handy of Peco ....... try before you buy.

It should make things a lot easier, seeing as how I don't know exactly which size points I'm going to use yet.

I'll post up a picture tomorrow of where I've got to with it so far.

Cheers.

Simon. :)

Evening all. :)

Here as promised is a photo of the full size plan of the layout, which I drew up yesterday. :mail:

post-3897-0-42801000-1337204119.jpg

The buildings and water line are exactly to scale, so there should be no doubt about what will fit where, also the buildings on the right hand side are the only ones who's position are fixed.

They back directly onto the board, and will hide the hole in the backscene where the trains enter/exit the layout.

Other than that, I have a bit of "wiggle room" with everything else ....... now it's down to trying a few ideas, and see what works.

When I have something I'm happy with, I'll post it up, although it shouldn't take too long, given the limited space I'm working with !!

Cheers.

Simon.

Hi everyone. :)

So, I've spent a lovely day, watching the Test Cricket on TV, and playing around with trackplan ideas at the same time.

Have to say ....... bit of a result on both counts !! ........ West Indies are well on the back foot, and I reckon I have got a trackplan that I'm 99% happy with.

Considering that space is limited on my layout, and I've built the buildings first ( rightly or wrongly !!) the trackplan I've finished up with, ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned.

As I said previously, the buildings on the right hand side are kind of fixed ....... no "wiggle room" so to speak, but I have tweaked the positions of the rest, just ever so slightly.

Here are my first ideas going down ...... as you can see, I have placed the actual buildings on the card plan of the layout rather than the paper templates.

It gave me a better view of what I was dealing with ...... 3 dimensions are everything !!

post-3897-0-89347000-1337457277.jpg

I ended up moving the main Cement Building and Silos to the left about an inch or so, and the right hand side ( i.e. ...... the silo side) came foward a little, so the clump of buildings are slighly angled now to the back of the layout.

The Stone Processing building also moved left by about the same amount, and the Stone Loading Hopper moved towards the front of the layout slightly too.

As you can see, I made sure my longest Loco and Wagons were on hand, to ensure that nothing fouled, and what I was coming up with was operationally feasable.

Here is what I ended up with ........

post-3897-0-17825700-1337458138.jpg

I have used 4 small radius Points, and have plotted the sleepers of the track work in between them, directly onto the card using a black marker.

So basically, I have a single line entering the layout under the right hand buildings ..... the track then curves slightly left, taking it to the Stone Loading Hopper.

A siding comes off this to the right, going under the Cement Loading Shed, which loops back onto the single line, thus allowing the Loco to uncouple and "swap ends" so to speak.

This loop will also work the same for Locos coming into the Yard with Stone wagons for the Loader.

Then, there is a single siding cutting back to the Bagged Cement Buildings on the right hand side ....... I have re - visited an earlier idea, and have now decided to build a small raised loading platform ( as you can see by the paper template !!) for Vans to load bagged cement.

Here's a closer look .......

post-3897-0-60675100-1337459000.jpg

I will also be putting a door in the side of the building as per the paper door shown.

There are a couple of things to do as shown in the next shot ...... the right hand conveyor needs to be lengthened by an inch or so (arrow) ........ no problem, as I have a spare unused section.

Also, the Cement Loading Shed ...... I am going to shorten it slightly on the right hand side, to aid the passage of Train and Wagons through, seeing as the track is slightly curved ...... again no problem.

The next shot shows what I mean with both these things.

post-3897-0-95267600-1337459508.jpg

Here is a final picture looking along the layout from above ........

post-3897-0-99092100-1337459709.jpg

I reckon it has enough operationally to keep me amused for a while ...... lots of shunting around !!

Hope you like it.

Cheers.

Simon.

Thats a good point Pete ........ (pardon the pun !!)

It had actually crossed my mind about a double slip earlier, but I wasn't sure about how difficult wiring up one would be, or whether it would be an added complication ...... first layout and all.

I can see how it would give more options for movement across the lines, and traffic flow would be better, so it's definitely worth more than a passing thought.

Thanks for the comments ...... I reckon I'll think on it for a while.

Cheers. :)

Hi everyone. :)

Ok, so I've had a week away to think on the trackplan .......

Rather than go the way of a Double Slip as Pete Harvey suggested, I have switched the position of the two points mentioned previously.

I reckon that I have enough work on my plate as a newbie, without the added complication of wiring a Double Slip (thanks for the suggestion anyhoo Pete !!) ...... plus, by switching the two points with each other and a little bit of track "tweaking" I have achieved the same result.

Here for comparison is the original trackplan ......

post-3897-0-63345900-1338070656.jpg

By switching the two points in the middle with each other, and shortening the siding coming back to the Bagged Cement Buildings on the right hand side of the layout, I can now move Locos across all three lines in the yard, which makes for far more possible Train movements.

Here is the revised trackplan ..... now shown on the Baseboard itself.

post-3897-0-17660100-1338070704.jpg

Seems to work pretty well ....... I also shortened the Bagged Cement Loading Platform slightly, due to the revised track route, and have still to reduce the length of the Cement Loading Shed on the front of the main Cement Buildings.

Here's a couple more shots from each end ........

post-3897-0-86361500-1338070596.jpg

post-3897-0-50966700-1338070615.jpg

I reckon that I'm 100% happy with this now ....... four small radius right hand points required, and three or four lengths of code 75 track ....... gonna' be ordering them tomorrow.

I also have the position of the uncoupling magnets for the Kadees worked out too ....... should work out fine ....... small yard = small(ish) trains, so everything should fit !!

She's starting to take shape now ......... :danced:

Cheers !!

Simon.

Cheers John :)

Thanks for the kind comments about the layout ....... think I'm still going with the two points, rather than the Double Slip, but I can see where you are both coming from ...... perhaps with more experience under me belt !! but I'm picking all this up as I go along, and just feel a bit more confident sticking with the points.

Anyhoo, all the track is ordered, along with one of the nice Heljan Cargowaggons too (it's a big beastie isn't it !!)

Come on Postie !! ...................... :whistle:

Simon.

Archived