Riverside Cement.

The Yorkshire Pud

• RMweb Gold

Simon

I agree with what you are saying can I say ont thing if you were to use one or two medium radius "Y" this should help with the radi and give a smooth exits to the point work.

Pete

Yes 'Y' turnouts do help in these restricted yards, the real trackwork would probably have been built to suit the site and any savings in length would be welcomed and using a 'Y' would certainly help there.

Glad you enjoyed Whitby :good: Trenchers or Magpie?

Yes 'Y' turnouts do help in these restricted yards, the real trackwork would probably have been built to suit the site and any savings in length would be welcomed and using a 'Y' would certainly help there.

Glad you enjoyed Whitby :good: Trenchers or Magpie?

Thanks Wordsell mate !!

For me and the missus it has to be The Quayside ........ award winning, blinkin' marvelous Fish and Chips cooked in Beef Dripping ................ Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!

Oh aye ...... the "Y" turnouts !! ........... they do look a bit smoother as Pete Harvey said, and probably would help in this situation ....... reckon I'll have a look see ....... I'm always open to suggestions and help !!

Cheers everyone.

Simon. :sungum:

Evening all ....... :)

Just a quick update on todays progress.

Now I have almost reached the tracklaying stage, I thought it about time to do some tidying up on the baseboard before proceeding any further.

My first job was a general clean up of all the edges on the board with a mini razor plane and sanding block.

Already I have noticed a few "dings" on the edges ...... a consequence of having to store the baseboard vertically on its end when not in use ....... one of the compromises of limited house space. The missus had also noticed this, and between us in the last couple of days we had a re-think on the situation as to how best to remedy this.

I have to say that I am chuffed with the new arrangement ....... I now have room in the small bedroom to leave the layout out permanently.

The (very) old PC, Printer and Scanner in the small bedroom that the missus uses for correspondence etc...... is being junked and she gets a new Laptop and combined Wireless Printer/Scanner in return (which was on the cards anyway in the near future)

This free's up a whole lot of space in said room, and everyones a happy bunny !! ....... :danced:

No more "hanger rash" to annoy me, and things will move a lot quicker now, as I won't have to keep putting the layout away ....... Woopity Doo !!

Nice bit of compromising all round !!

Anyhoo, back to the baseboard ....... and after a general tidy up of all the edges, (I also filled in the open corners at the top of the backscene with spare MDF) my next job was to mark the hole in the right hand wall where the trains will enter the layout ....... this hole will be hidden behind the right hand buildings.

So after a bit of measuring to ensure I was in the correct spot horizontally and vertically, I drilled a small hole in each corner of the marked hole, and with a new blade in my Stanley Knife, carefully cut out the scrap MDF.

Then a quick clean up with a sanding block and Voila !!

One hole in the backscene ....... first from the outside .......

post-3897-0-86977200-1338670853.jpg

And also from the inside ........

post-3897-0-64286700-1338670892.jpg

Next up today, I intended to paint all the outside wood faces with a Matt Black Emulsion ....... front, back and sides of the board, but before this, I applied a quick water thinned coat of PVA adhesive, to seal everything first.

I know MDF and moisture don't mix long term, so as I'm using an Emulsion paint I thought I'd seal it first ...... didn't take long, and the stuff dried nearly as quick as I put it on.

That just left the Black paintwork, which was duly applied ....... Once the baseboard is moved into its new home on Monday, I'll get a picture up of this.

Nice days progress !!

Feel like I'm starting to get somewhere now.

Cheers.

Simon. :)

Hello again :)

As promised, here is a photo of the Layout, now moved to its new (permanent) home in the small bedroom ........ Hussar !!

post-3897-0-24252900-1338844445.jpg

The black paintwork finishes off the outside a treat, and really highlights whats on the inside ...... I reckon the corners at the top look a lot neater too, since I blanked them off with MDF.

My sacrifice to the cause is the table on the left hand side on which the baseboard sits (my modelling table) ....... the one on the right being the old PC table, formerly used by the missus.

Its a bit wobbly and old, and as it is also a different height to the left hand one, I have stumped up the funds for a dupicate of my modelling table (which wasn't too pricey) to go under the right hand side. (Delivery Wednesday)

This then gives me a nice level playing field for the whole Layout, with plenty of cupboard and drawer storage space underneath ........ Nice !! :danced:

The area on the right hand side of the layout will double up as a smaller modelling area, and also a nice level base on which the cassettes for the trains entering the layout can sit.

You may have noticed a change in the Cement Loading Shed at the front of the Cement Building, as today, I finally got round to altering it as I planned earlier.

I have shortened it down to the width of the Cement Building, and also you can see I have removed a bit of the vertical Corrugated sheeting on the ends to further widen the shed.

The other modification I made was to the roof ....... I added a small extra corrugated sheeted "room" linking the shed to the building, built up from scrap parts, which now gives the impression of where the valves are for the actual loading of cement onto the wagons.

Here is a closer look ....... I still have to finish off the edging, but I think it makes the shed look more purposeful now.

post-3897-0-44100200-1338846103.jpg

This final shot looking from the other end, shows me testing my new Heljan Cargowaggon in the Bagged Cement siding ....... by eck !! ...... its a long wagon !!

It fits ok though (phew !!) and is very nicely made, with great detailing, particularly all the labels on the body sides.

post-3897-0-10712000-1338846622.jpg

One other thing I think I'll address in the near future is the height of the layout in its new location ....... I reckon it needs raising by about 5 inches, to get the optimum viewing height when sat down ....... may as well be comfortable when I'm playing trains !! .................. :locomotive:

This will also give me additional storage space underneath, so an extra bonus there.

Well, I think thats all for now.

Cheers !!

Great layout in the making. Sorry if I missed this but how did you curve the mdf for the backscene?

Terry

Hi Terry. :)

Glad you are enjoying the layout build so far ......... as for curving the MDF for the backscene, It was a first attempt for me too !!

I posted about my efforts and the end result in another thread here on the site, and I'll post the link for you ....... hope it helps.

http://www.rmweb.co....ed-backgrounds/

Thin MDF is suprisingly "bendy" if you go carefully and slowly ........ I would be interested in how you go on mate if you would like to post about it.

Cheers !!

Simon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone :)

Just a short update ......

Not much to report in the way of physical progress on the layout since my last post, rather I've paused to do a bit of research, particularly on the wiring up side of things.

Namely, the correct way to modify and wire up Electrofrog points, which type/size wiring to use for the power bus and droppers (I think I mentioned this was to be a DCC layout) and also I have been mulling over the way I will switch the points.

I wanted to do it manually ..... i.e. "hand of pud" ...... seeing as the layout is so small, and also to keep it operationally simple.

I have been reading the post by Gormo about how he does it manually, and the great home made systems he and others operate.

I thought about going down this route, but then stumbled upon a post talking about the Blue Point Manual Controller (which I had never seen before) which, seems a very neat way of achieving what I want ....... plus, it has a built in electrical switch for the points, which saves me the hassle of designing a system ........ to be honest, I would just rather use something such as this.

I have seen a lot of good remarks about the Blue Point, and not much in the way of negative comment, so I might just plump for this system.

The other thing I have been doing is revisiting the left hand corner of the layout where the stone is loaded into the Stone Processing building.

I've been poring over loads of photos of the real thing on t'internet for inspiration, and also to see how it is actually done, and am thinking about maybe scratchbuilding a small Loading Ramp/Conveyor which will feed into a Stone Crusher, linked to the Stone Processing building ........ I reckon this might make the corner a bit more operationally believable than just a pile of stone on the floor with a Bulldozer stuck in it !!

Anyway, its at the planning stage at the mo' so I'll update when I have something more to show. :mail:

Talking of shows ....... Bakewell Model Rail Show last saturday ........ excellent stuff ....... well done Peter and Glen Gillie for best layout (even better in real life) !! ...... plenty of great layouts on show though to inspire and get ideas from.

Plus the wallet was a tad lighter when I came away ........ bought a few bits and bobs for the layout !! :)

Well, thats all for now.

Cheers.

Simon.

Hi again. :)

I've had me thinking cap on for a few days, concerning the left hand corner of the layout ........ namely, maybe adding a Stone Loader/Conveyor/Crusher and linking them to the Stone Processing Building.

After trying a few ideas, and some careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that it would be like trying to squeeze a quart in to a pint pot ......... the layout is just not long enough to do it justice, and I don't want it looking too crammed.

So I have decided to stick to the original plan ........ the layout has more than enough buildings on it, and sticking to the original plan allows for at least a small piece of open ground on the layout.

On another note, I have decided to use the Blue Point manual point controllers I mentioned previously. They are on order from EDM Models/NG Trains, and I look forward to getting these, so I can make a start with the trackwork.

Anyone else here used these ? ........ they look a very neat solution to manual point control, and have built in electrical switching too, which saves me having to rig up a home built system ........ :whistle:

I reckon I've plenty of other things on the layout to keep me occupied, and don't want the (mini) hassle, so I'll see how these manual controllers work out !!

Cheers !!

Simon.

Evening all :)

I'm hoping to get over to MG Sharps on Friday, to get a few Kadee couplers and the under track magnets for the uncoupling points on the layout.

I mentioned before that I've dabbled with Kadees a couple of years back, and I liked how they operate, particularly the delayed uncoupling part.

If memory serves me right, uncoupling works best with Kadees on a straight piece of track, otherwise the couplers will most likely both pull to one side rather than operating as they should.

With this in mind, I've been fine tuning the positions for the magnets this evening, and trying to ensure that the track will be as straight as possible at these points.

I suppose it will be a case of "suck it and see" ....... that is, trial and (hopefully !!) not too much error ............. with limited room to manoeuvre on a small layout, and lots of buildings, I guess the trick is trying to get operational trackwork without anything clashing !!

So far, it seems to be ok .......

Evening all :)

I managed to get over to MG Sharps on Friday as planned, and got a couple of packets of #19 Kadees just to be going on with, a height gauge, and 3 Uncoupling magnets for underneath the track.

My previous "dabble" with Kadees was a few years back when I first got interested in Model Railways, and was just starting out.

I thought I would give them a try out, and was quite impressed with the delayed uncoupling action ....... plus (and this is just my opinion !!) they look better than tension hooks.

I was at the time just using the delayed uncoupling magnet that fits on top of the tracks between the rails, but I liked the idea of being able to hide the magnets under the trackwork ....... thus, no unsightly uncoupling ramps.

Anyway, this morning I set up a couple of lengths of code 75 trackwork as a testbed, temporarily wired up to my DC Gaugemaster controller.

This was to try out the magnets under the track, and see exactly how the 3 Locos and the various wagons I have at the mo' uncoupled (or not !!)

Here's the "test bed" ....... wooden floors are great for things like this !! ...... stable and clean.

post-3897-0-95812600-1340486798.jpg

The magnet is under the first wagon next to the shunter, and the rest of the track is packed up to the same height with scrap pieces of plastic ...... it proved a good set up, and stable enough for what I was after.

I found that the strength of the magnet was fine, and the 3 Locos all coupled/uncoupled as they should.

My only issue (at first) was that the open wagons were too light, and having steel wheels, were reluctant to fully "let go" when uncoupling.

If they did, they were then attracted by the magnet and pulled back towards it quite a way ....... not very convincing !! ......

So I decided to add a little weight to them ( a small bag of pebbles from Flamborough was kindly donated to the cause by the missus) just to see what effect a bit of friction had on proceedings.

Presto !! ...... much better ...... the wagons uncoupled on cue, and stayed put ....... no racing back towards the magnet, allowing them to be then pushed back (uncoupled) as will be required on the layout.

I have read here in other threads on the site about people using small pieces of foam, or springs to create friction too, but as I am only running very short trains, I reckon I will just add weight.

The cement tanks acted similarly, but by sticking the weighted open wagons behind a cement wagon, thereby adding friction, the cement wagon also uncoupled fine.

So, I am happy to proceed with using these magnets under the trackwork on the layout, and just fine tune the rolling stock to suit when things are up and running.

Here's a closer look at the magnet under the track ...... you can see the steel "intensifier" plate underneath it.

post-3897-0-15392400-1340488076.jpg

Closer still, and you can see the couplers are fully open with the trip pins pointing outwards.

post-3897-0-26199500-1340488164.jpg

I like the fact that you can then shunt the wagon uncoupled to where you want it ...... a nice system, and the couplers themselves are well engineered ....... jeez !! ...... I'd hate to be the one assembling them at the factory with my dodgy peepers !! :O

I realise that no system is 100% reliable, but I'll be happy using Kadees methinks.

Here is the last picture, showing the pebbles used for weight ...... the Limpet wagon is exactly where it was uncoupled.

Before adding weight, the open wagons would pull so far back towards the magnet, that momentum took them too far, and the Kadee coupler stopped just past the edge of the magnet and snapped shut again, thereby not allowing the Loco to shunt it uncoupled (hope that makes sense !!)

post-3897-0-08176900-1340488794.jpg

A useful little experiment !!

Following this, I marked the positions for the holes that will house the magnets under the track on the baseboard.

Also, I have now finalised the trackplan, ensuring that all the train lengths I will be running, and the shunting operations I am after achieving, will work in reality.

So, the Permanent Way gang are finally going to be set loose on Riverside Cement ...... Oh Eck !! ............ Owt could happen now !! :fie:

Cheers !!

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Did you do anything special with the Kadees? I have the same 08 and wagons. I bought some 18s (&19s) but no of them seem to line up. The also get caught on the hooks and the coupling on the loco.

Regards

Scott

Really like the way you are developing this layout and experimenting on the way to verify that everything will work well before committing it to the board....and enjoying it !!

One thing that did not quite compute for me is the bagged cement loading ....being a modern image layout ...bagged cement would be shrink-wrapped on pallets and loaded by fork truck ....the area you have for that kind of movement seems a tad too small ...???

PS ............Whitby at Easter ...that was fun !!! but most enjoyable ....only disappointment,my Yorkshire lass did not find her "proper" cake and chips ....ie. 2 bits of spud wit'fish between, wrapped in batter .....!!

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Hi Simon,

Did you do anything special with the Kadees? I have the same 08 and wagons. I bought some 18s (&19s) but no of them seem to line up. The also get caught on the hooks and the coupling on the loco.

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott :)

I'm using Peco code 75 track, and have got the Kadee height gauge, just to see how everything sets up to it.

That said though, I think its actually made for American HO, and the NEM pockets that all the British stock run for the couplers are a slightly different height to it (and seemingly, all slightly different to each other .......Doh !!)

The 08 loco and the class 37's I have are all a match for height ...... the Limpet, Seacow and JPA Cement Wagons are about 1mm out, but all uncouple fine.

The PCA Cement Wagons though have the old, very large, clunky looking hook couplers fitted, which will need removing totally, and I will probably use the #5 box couplers, packed to suit for height.

That just leaves my Cargowaggon, which is miles too high !! ....... but I'll sort it one way or another (thanks Heljan !!) ...... there seems to be quite an array of Kadee couplers available, so somethings gotta' fit it ......... (or be made to fit !!)

Are you running your Loco through tight curves ? ...... I wondered if that might be why they are getting caught on the Locos hook and coupling ....... apart from running through the odd point, I won't really have that issue on Riverside Cement, maybe you could try #20 Kadees which are extra long and might give a bit more leeway before things clash ?

Thats all I can think of really, as I'm quite new to this too ....... maybe someone here on the site with more experience could offer a better explanation.

Thanks for the post anyway mate.

Cheers !!

Simon.

• RMweb Premium

A suggestion for adding a bit of friction - stick a small piece of copper clad strip under the wagon and then solder on a short piece of phosphor bronze wire, bending it to lightly bear on an axle. It acts like a brake. You can easily adjust the tension to suit.

This is not suitable if you're planning on running large rakes of wagons....... however, for your project, it should be ok.

Cheers,

Mick

Really like the way you are developing this layout and experimenting on the way to verify that everything will work well before committing it to the board....and enjoying it !!

One thing that did not quite compute for me is the bagged cement loading ....being a modern image layout ...bagged cement would be shrink-wrapped on pallets and loaded by fork truck ....the area you have for that kind of movement seems a tad too small ...???

PS ............Whitby at Easter ...that was fun !!! but most enjoyable ....only disappointment,my Yorkshire lass did not find her "proper" cake and chips ....ie. 2 bits of spud wit'fish between, wrapped in batter .....!!

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Ta very much Trevor :)

I'm enjoying things so far ...... no major foul ups yet ....... (give it time !!)

Yeah I agree ...... the bagged cement loading area is a tad small ....... just giving it a generous dollop of artistic licence !!

Still, it gives me a bit more operational interest on the layout, having the extra siding back along the front ....... space limitations at home limited the size of layout originally, so I've tried to make the best of it with the size available.

Cheers mate !!

Simon.

A suggestion for adding a bit of friction - stick a small piece of copper clad strip under the wagon and then solder on a short piece of phosphor bronze wire, bending it to lightly bear on an axle. It acts like a brake. You can easily adjust the tension to suit.

This is not suitable if you're planning on running large rakes of wagons....... however, for your project, it should be ok.

Cheers,

Mick

Great idea Mick !!

I might give that a try on the open wagons anyway, where its not easy to add weight ....... Cheers mate !!

Hi Simon,

Any thoughts as yet on how to adjust the height of the coupling to accommodate a kadee on your cargowaggon? I have a similar issue on my BYA steel carriers.

Thank you,

Regards

Ste

Hi Ste :)

I've not really adressed the problem yet, but the Kadee coupler fits into a NEM socket which is on a seperate "arm" from the 4 wheel bogie of the Cargowaggon.

I guess this is because of the length of the wagon ....... its about 290mm from coupler to coupler, and I suppose to get round tighter curves it needs to be this way.

The Kadee will need to be lowered, so some way of cranking it down maybe, or cut one "swallowtail" off the end of a coupler and glue a Kadee underneath it ? ...... I will have to try a few things out I guess, but I reckon I'll sort it out one way or another.

When I come up with a solution I will post it on here Ste ...... Wouldn't it be great if things were made to one standard ......... I guess that would be asking too much eh ? ........... :whistle:

Cheers !!

Simon.

Here's todays update on the layout. :)

I spent the afternoon cutting the holes out in the baseboard for the 3 magnets ....... 2 of them were straightforward enough, but the right hand side one fell right on a crossbeam underneath, so needed a bit more care.

Luckily, I've used 6mm thick MDF for the baseboard, which is the same thickness as the magnets, so for two of them I just needed to cut a hole the right size, glue a slightly larger piece of 4mm MDF underneath to cover the hole, and then (after putting a light coat of PVA in the hole) pop the magnets in ....... Simples !!

However, the right hand side one had a void underneath it at the front (where it overhangs the front board for the water) ....... this needed "filling" up to the required height (flush with the underside of the magnet) and for this I used strips of scrap plastic sheet, cyano'd in place, one on top of another.

This worked out well, and then the magnet was duly glued in place in the same manner as the others.

Here's the end result ........

This first photo shows the left hand magnet in place.

post-3897-0-74180000-1340576003.jpg

Again, same magnet showing a bit more of the pointwork.

post-3897-0-72771000-1340576057.jpg

Now you see the middle magnet too .......

post-3897-0-03787100-1340576145.jpg

And now the middle and right hand side ones ........ the red arrow shows the line of screws running through the centre of the crossbeam underneath, and the void which needed packing out was to the front of the layout.

post-3897-0-02116100-1340576514.jpg

Here's a longer shot showing all three .......

post-3897-0-28709000-1340576585.jpg

And now looking to the right hand side of the layout ........

post-3897-0-71950500-1340576712.jpg

And finally, a couple of shots looking down the layout from each end ........

post-3897-0-63108400-1340576764.jpg

post-3897-0-96246900-1340576781.jpg

As you can see, I have marked the trackwork onto the baseboard now, and have also decided to use medium radius points rather than the Y points suggested previously (cheers for the idea anyway !!)

In the end, the points blended well into the final trackplan, so I'm well pleased with the result.

Guess I've got a spot of soldering ahead of me now !!

Thanks for watching.

Cheers !!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon,

Can I suggest another magnet towards the right hand end of the layout - on the rear loop road - or even just beyond the right hand point (in between point and scenic break) that means you can delay uncoupling to either loop road.

If setting back into the loop to shunt, you can't uncouple until you reach the far left magnet.

If in doubt, you could always cut the hole(s) and then lay a sheet of (brown) paper over the top, allowing ballasting to take place to disguise the hole for later fitment, or not, of a magnet. Fitting extra magnets later will not be easy........ I've been there!

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Simon,

Can I suggest another magnet towards the right hand end of the layout - on the rear loop road - or even just beyond the right hand point (in between point and scenic break) that means you can delay uncoupling to either loop road.

If setting back into the loop to shunt, you can't uncouple until you reach the far left magnet.

If in doubt, you could always cut the hole(s) and then lay a sheet of (brown) paper over the top, allowing ballasting to take place to disguise the hole for later fitment, or not, of a magnet. Fitting extra magnets later will not be easy........ I've been there!

Cheers,

Mick

Thats a good idea Mick ....... Adding an extra magnet before the right hand point as trains come onto the layout, would allow for more varied delayed uncoupling operations .......... this is the sort of advice I welcome, as I am kinda' making this up as I go along !!

I've said before, my Railway knowledge ...... i.e. actual working practices is limited, so I'm open to good ideas ....... also like you say, its far easier to fit one now rather than when its covered by a building !!

Thanks for the input.

Cheers !!

Simon.

Thanks Simon for the info. I think I may get some #20s and some # 5s and have a play about with them. Then again I may just stick with the tension locks. To many variables for this impatient sod........we'll see :)

No problem mate :)

Catching up - excellent - looks like it is getting well technical - any spraying and weathering done on the buildings as yet? or a chance of a preview tester?

Ian

Thanks Ian ..... fraid no progress yet on painting and weathering the buildings.

My initial thought was to just get them built so I could plan the layout, but as soon as I make a start I'll post up my efforts (good or bad !!)

With my limited modelling time I've been a bit preoccupied with the Kadee Couplers/Magnets and finalising the Trackplan, but I guess I'll get cracking with them soon.

Cheers !!

Simon

Sorry for possibly high jacking the thread.

Mick do magnets such as these have any influence on DCC operation of a layout as they are pretty big magnets?

Pete

No problem Pete ....... Its a good question actually !! ....... from what I could find out trawling the net, there doesn't seem to be any negative issues concerning running a DCC layout and using the Kadee magnets under the track ........ if anyone knows any different I'd be glad to hear about it too before I go too far !!

The only potential problems I could find, were if you were using the Kadee electrically operated magnet under the track, and using the DCC power bus as the magnets power supply also.

Good question to raise though mate.

Thanks.

Simon.

Archived