Hornby Q1 - 33002 and lubricating rods.?

250BOB

HI Guys,

I am trying, for a friend of mine, to find out some details about the Hornby Q1 model, the various releases.

I shall ask the questions here, but please point me in the right direction with some links, if the information is on here somewhere.

He has recently purchased Hornby model 33002....so my questions have a particular reference to that model.

1. Did the prototype have a lubricating rod as built.?

2. Did all the prototypes eventually receive this rod, is there anywhere I can see dates when they were done.?

3. The model of early crest 33002, has no lubricating rod, did it ever get one, and if so, when.

4. I understand you can buy the lubricating rod......how easy are they to fit.?

I would be grateful of any help and assistance you could give us on these questions please.

regards.................Bob

I can only comment on the model as I have 33019 which has this feature.

Having had to repair it due to an accident with a soldering iron I can tell you that is consists of a crank operating from the front left driving wheel. The crank is attached to the axle using the familiar shouldered screw and it is important that this is fastened correctly so that the crank faces across the axle. The oiler is a plastic moulding that is both small and fastened to the vestigial running plate which is part of the chassis on this model. This moulding is definitely made of polythene and the chassis is the usual hard plastic so glueing problems arise.

The crank just oscillates around a polythene knob on the oiler ( which I melted by accident ). The size of this knob might well preclude later fitting of the crank without danger of breaking or bending something.

I can't help with the prototype question but I am sure that one of the gurus on here or semgonline.com will be able to help you

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob

Not all Q1's received the mechanical lubricator and C2 (33002) was one that did not so Hornby have correctly modelled it in that respect. They prototype did not have the mechanical lubricator fitted at any time. They were retro fitted to some members of the class but not all and with no apparent pattern.

I do not have the actual fitting dates but the following I know received them:

33006-10,15-18, 20, 24, 27, 31-33, 36-38 and 40.

My records do not indicate if the following had them fitted or not:

33013/14, 19, 25, 30, 34/35 and 39

Those not listed above did not have them fitted.

Hi Graham,

Many thanks indeed for your detailed information on the Q1 questions....with particular reference to 33002.

I shall pass on your answers to Ed, my colleague, who I know will be really grateful.

Thanks..........................Bob.

• 6 months later...

Hi Bob

Not all Q1's received the mechanical lubricator and C2 (33002) was one that did not so Hornby have correctly modelled it in that respect. They prototype did not have the mechanical lubricator fitted at any time. They were retro fitted to some members of the class but not all and with no apparent pattern.

I do not have the actual fitting dates but the following I know received them:

33006-10,15-18, 20, 24, 27, 31-33, 36-38 and 40.

My records do not indicate if the following had them fitted or not:

33013/14, 19, 25, 30, 34/35 and 39

Those not listed above did not have them fitted.

Hi Graham,

33039 certainly had the lubricator drive fitted, it was a St.Leonards West Marina loco that my Stepfather fired on many times when the loco was based there, I have a framed photo of her in Eastliegh yard on July the 28th 1963 still sporting the cycling lion (West Marina knew how to look after it's loco's and the still had their own painter so touch ups were always the norm) on a very clean engine.

Cheers

(lived in St. Leonards from 1945 to 1967)

Hi Graham,

33039 certainly had the lubricator drive fitted, it was a St.Leonards West Marina loco that my Stepfather fired on many times when the loco was based there, I have a framed photo of her in Eastliegh yard on July the 28th 1963 still sporting the cycling lion (West Marina knew how to look after it's loco's and the still had their own painter so touch ups were always the norm) on a very clean engine.

Cheers

(lived in St. Leonards from 1945 to 1967)

Hi Wayne Rite,

I'm sure Graham would be pleased to hear of such information, and will amend his records accordingly...he may need visual confirmation.??

Thanks.......Bob.

• 6 months later...

I can only comment on the model as I have 33019 which has this feature.

Having had to repair it due to an accident with a soldering iron I can tell you that is consists of a crank operating from the front left driving wheel. The crank is attached to the axle using the familiar shouldered screw and it is important that this is fastened correctly so that the crank faces across the axle. The oiler is a plastic moulding that is both small and fastened to the vestigial running plate which is part of the chassis on this model. This moulding is definitely made of polythene and the chassis is the usual hard plastic so glueing problems arise.

The crank just oscillates around a polythene knob on the oiler ( which I melted by accident ). The size of this knob might well preclude later fitting of the crank without danger of breaking or bending something.

I can't help with the prototype question but I am sure that one of the gurus on here or semgonline.com will be able to help you

Does anybody know if R3011 33005 has the mechanical lubricator fitted? Thanks

• 4 months later...

I had one drop off. My solution was to cut the damaged spigot off and drill a #76 hole, superglue a spot of handrail wire into it, thread the lubricator arm onto the wire, bend the end over and cut off any excess. Once painted black it doesn't really show.

It is crude and slightly inelegant but it works!  :)

Archived