Bachmann announce Fowler 4F

Andy Y

OK, the $64000 question?

I'm a GE section modeller, not LM. However I possibly wish to get a Bachmann 4f, as I feel my old Airfix one is dated. I have no idea what version I'm looking for however, so where do I look?

We had 44521 allocated to March (31B) towards the end of steam, and correctly or not, the Airfix one has been renumbered. I also am incorporating a bit of M&GN flavour in my layout, so have perhaps two choices. Can anyone assist me please?

Stewart

Stewart,

AFAIK the new Bachmann loco will represent the Midland Railway version with right-hand drive, beaded splashers and Johnson tender which became 43835 to 44014 (or thereabouts as the final MR batch changed from Beaded splashers to plain). The old Airfix model represents the LMS version with left-hand drive, plain splashers and Fowler tender which became 44207 to 44606 except a batch of ten RH drive locos around 44300 which were numbered out of build sequence and the ex S&DJR locos which were built to the MR pattern. If you want to update your old Airfix loco, you may wish to consider the current Hornby product which is loco drive.

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing this model released, my plan is to re-number mine as 3913 (in LMS livery) in the condition as loaned to the Midland & Great Northern between 1934-1936 (source: The Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway by A.J. Wrottesley, 2nd edition, David & Charles, 1981, p.185).

Would the Johnson tender as fitted to Bachmann's LMS version be correct for that period or would it by then been swapped over for a straight-sided Deeley or Fowler version?

• RMweb Gold

A late crest version has just appeared on e-bay. Monk Bar Models,York. Competitive price.

Edit.....all 3 versions.....but price has risen by £ 6 in 5 minutes !

Edit.....now price seems to have 'stabilised' for all three at £79.99.    A roller-coaster ride ! Bit like the stock market,really.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Anyone considering renumbering a Bachmann Fowler tender version of the 4F should be carefull if you want to be accurate and correct.  Bachmann's loco is based upon a preserved 4F which has the tender water vents behind the rear coal plate (instead of inside the coal space), ok not too difficult to modify.  But also it has the later version of the Fowler tender with coal doors on the tender's cab (leading) side that split the tool box.   Many 4Fs in the '60s still had the earlier Fowler tender with just a 'coal hole' there and wide tool box above it.  You need to check a photo of your chosen subject, though most are the wrong angle to show the tender front !!.   But as an example, most of the right hand drive 4Fs on the Somerset & Dorset line in the '60s (including the Armstrongs) didn't have this tender !  The tender front  should be like the Johnson tender front as fitted to the 3Fs. 

Edited by Combe Martin

My LMS version arrived this morning:

post-6746-0-04497900-1376741218_thumb.jpg

A couple of very minor issues: the cab fallplate is only stuck in at one end and the other springs out, and the one-piece handrail that loops under the cab roof is a little bent. Nothing that a few minutes adjustment and a touch of glue won't fix.

There's a pretty good attempt at representing the upper parts of the inside motion and no sign of the motor or gearbox intruding into this space:

post-6746-0-03933100-1376741231_thumb.jpg

At the front, the buffer beams are the later replacement type so there's no sign of the valve spindle tail covers or the subsequent small plates that covered the holes when these were removed:

post-6746-0-70008600-1376741241_thumb.jpg

Cab details look impressive, though I haven't yet compared them with original photos (just ignore the wonky handrail mentioned ealier).

post-6746-0-26770000-1376741259_thumb.jpg

Overall first impressions? Looks like a good model, though it has some of the nastiest looking plastic coal in the tender that I've seen for a while (or maybe I just try to forget). The tender wheels have pickups similar to some of Bachmann's other recent releases, but, like the 3F, the tender brake blocks are molded in line with the frames.

Nick

Edited by buffalo
  • Like 7

Mine arrived this morning and is pottering around my layout on a running-in turn. First impressions: excellent model, light years ahead of the Hornby re-motor, and tender pickups eliminate the occasional stutter which I experienced with the 3F.

My example seems a trifle noisy, though hopefully the running in will cure that. Deeley tender is beautifully modelled with the exception of the coal noted by Nick above, but the wiring between the engine and tender seems to push the tender off line slightly, so that it crabs slightly along the line, but I have a lump hammer to deal with these pesky difficulties.

And: Just run it as a direct comparison to the Hornby loco-drive version, and the Bachmann is quite appreciably noisier. The Honby 4F for all it's faults is a supremely smooth and quiet runner, though it does have those evil tyres.

Just my 2 penn'orth.

If the 'coal' is in the style of that of the 3F and other recent releases with a tender mounted DCC socket, then it is a cast metal ballast weight, and will knock out easily. The real stuff, and some weight inside the tender, and there's an easy upgrade to appearance.

Yes, indeed, it is a lump of metal just as on the 3F. In fact, other than the higher footplate, different front handrails, tank vents, water scoop operating handle and the water scoop underneath, the tender appears to be essentially the same as on the 3F.

Nick

They look amazing, I can't wait until my birthday now. Only 1month and 8 days (sep 25th, put it in your diaries :jester:) As long as they move smoothly and slowly over short radius points, I'll be happy as they'll be perfect for my layout. Can anyone get a measurent of their length as hattons haven't put up any pictures yet!

The cab detail looks superb, it'll be a shame to put a crew in it. The detail looks amazing, especially under the boiler. Anyone got any videos?

My example seems a trifle noisy, though hopefully the running in will cure that.

It should do, I have a Bachmann 4mt which was exactly the same. Overtime it'll get better, especially after a long running in session

Looking inside, it's clear why there's no motor or gearbox boggles intruding into the space below the boiler. It's driven on the rear axle with the motor facing forwards. The lower part of the motor cradle is shaped to form part of the underside of the boiler. Looking at my earlier photos, you can see that it's there though not very noticeable.

post-6746-0-77844200-1376751816_thumb.jpg

post-6746-0-00583300-1376751812_thumb.jpg

post-6746-0-18476500-1376751821_thumb.jpg

Underneath, it is much the same as the 3F with those strange 2.19mm axles running in brass bushes:

post-6746-0-69631500-1376752792_thumb.jpg

Nick

edit: to add another pic

Edited by buffalo
  • Like 8

Thanks for putting up the photos and the info on this loco,End of the month i can see a few of them comming my way,Looks like a good model,Well done again Bachmann.

I wonder if the Hornby one will now end up in the RR?.

Interesting to see if a chassis/tender body swap can be done with the 3F to give a tender pick-up 3F. I held off pre-ordering because I have been slightly disappointed with the 3F, problems which tender pick-ups would cure. Ordered a 4F this a.m. after reading these reviews.

Bodes well for the J11 having tender pick-ups too!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't resist picking one up yesterday from Hattons. I have just took it out to do a side by side comparison with my Hornby 4F and unfortunately the dome is very poorly fitted with a gap all round and a couple of small marks around the base as if someone was struggling to fit it, so I will be taking it back for a replacement.

Peter

Edited by Peter Crichton (Savoyard)

So, a nice model overall. But has anyone found any faults or discrepensies yet? ----   Me being a smart ass has, try looking at the front elevation of the loco below the beam.... 

Would it put me off buying one? probably not but Airfix did do that bit more correct back in the day.

Sorry.

Dave.

So, a nice model overall. But has anyone found any faults or discrepensies yet?

Yes, I mentioned the tender brakes above.

...try looking at the front elevation of the loco below the beam....

Well, there's no representation of the space between the frames, or the snifters under the cylinders, or the vacuum pipe with its moisture trap, or the steam sanding gear, and the wheels are too close together, and then there's that enormous non-prototypical coupler. Have any rtr models got these things right? :scratchhead:

Nick

• Like 1