Bachmann announce Fowler 4F

Andy Y

Well, not having had enough cash to get the recently re-chassised Hornby one may have been a blessing in disguise. I note it's the Midland one, I think we're going to need an S&DJR area thread to cover which were suitable for the Somerset and Dorset :D

....as well as the left-hand-drive ones.

Guest Belgian

Interesting - that's a reduction from RRP of c.25% on the Hornby loco and 15% on the Bachmann version, explain the difference ;)

Perhaps someone is already applying the Bachmann 'request' to keep pre-order discounts to 15%.

JE

I wonder if Bachmann could be persuaded to sell the Johnson and indeed the Fowler tenders as separate items, I'm sure there would be a market for lots of them.

Edward

I asked them once about their lovely Fowler tender for the Crab. I was told yes and quoted a pretty steep price. When I wrote back to say I wanted one, there was no response.

John

How much work would Bachmann be required to do now to produce a Q

Did you finish the sentence ? I am sure you meant to write a quite nice "Austin seven" 7F !!!!!!!!

• Like 5

I wonder if Bachmann could be persuaded to sell the Johnson and indeed the Fowler tenders as separate items, I'm sure there would be a market for lots of them.

Edward

As we say in Oz, two chances, "none and Buckley's"

Hope I'm proved wrong!

Cheers, Peter C.

How much work would Bachmann be required to do now to produce a Q

No different amount of work from already having the Derby 5'3" chassis under the 3F. The work for a Maunsell Q will be the same as for any other model of similar size, to produce an outcome of the standard now expected. Same research, same unique tooling development, same materials, labour, shipping and distribution... Bachmann have said before that the chassis is a relatively low cost element in models.

For the modeller, it is a different question. Starting from a good representation of a 4F, and substituting fabricated parts to represent the Maunsell cab, smokebox, front platform, tender design and various detail: that should be relatively simple to arrive at a fair representation.

Greetings,

Dumb question number...(let's see now)...17...

When planning to do British outline, I didn't expect that I would pick a place (Welshpool) that had joint GWR/LMS service in 1930. (In fact, I didn't even know that until several days ago). I've done a bit of GWR research, but am behind on many of the specifics on the LMS.

Am I correct in saying that the version of the announced Bachmann 4f in LMS livery with Johnson/Deeley tender would be correct for the 1930 date? (I'm aware that the other two announced versions are not correct--by several decades or so).

(I;m sitting here with my credit card in my hand in hopes that the answer is a "yes").

Kindest Regards,

Carl

Edited by mah644

Am I correct in saying that the version of the announced Bachmann 4f in LMS livery with Johnson/Deeley tender would be correct for the 1930 date? (I'm aware that the other two announced versions are not correct--by several decades or so).

Probably - but can't be certain until we see what livery the proposed model actually comes out in as the LMS (as did the other companies) changed their liveries at one time or another. The good thing is that all 4Fs were plain black so repaints or renumberings should be fairly simple.

.... The work for a Maunsell Q will be the same as for any other model of similar size, to produce an outcome of the standard now expected. Same research, same unique tooling development, same materials, labour, shipping and distribution... Bachmann have said before that the chassis is a relatively low cost element in models.

For the modeller, it is a different question. Starting from a good representation of a 4F, and substituting fabricated parts to represent the Maunsell cab, smokebox, front platform, tender design and various detail: that should be relatively simple to arrive at a fair representation.

....and Crownline had a stab at producing a 4F-toQ conversion kit in the 1980s.

I've gone ahead and taken the chance that the ex-Midlands version in LMS will be corrrect for the late '20s. Placed a pre-order earlier this week. Now for the wait....

Kindest Regards,

Carl

Hi Andy , being a bit of a slow one :-) I need to ask you if that picture you posted of the Bachmann 4F is going to be done in that livery with that tender ,I would love to have one with british Railways on the tender ??

Thanks martin

I would love to have one with british Railways on the tender ??

There would appear to be two possibilities:

1 Wait until Bachmann do the livery and number you want.

2 Get some transfers for a DIY job.

Myself, I would like one with Ramsbottom safety valves and the number on the tender. If Bachmann can do the J11 with different safety valves, why not the 4F?

Edited to get the letters in the right order!

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

• 5 months later...

There was an EP sample of the 4F on display at the Severn Valley's Autumn gala this weekend. Looks rather nice indeed. Couple of pics below.... Apologies for quality, but it was rather late in the day when I got there (having been line-siding all day in the sun) and the light levels weren't the greatest!

post-6712-0-15783600-1348344259_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-78056800-1348344277_thumb.jpg

I shall definitely be after one of these when they're ready :).

Cheers,

Edited by Tim
  • Like 12

The loco in the image looks to be a bit of a cross-breed although there might be one loco that carried this configuration. It has Midland Railway early beaded splashers and RH drive, tall Midland design chimney but reduced dome with flatenned top, ross pop safety valves and Fowler type Tender.

I have just re-read the OP's opening remarks and it seems Bachmann will get production locos correct.

Edited by coachmann

The loco in the image looks to be a bit of a cross-breed although there might be one loco that carried this configuration. It has Midland Railway early beaded splashers and RH drive, tall Midland design chimney but reduced dome with flatenned top, ross pop safety valves and Fowler type Tender.

I have just re-read the OP's opening remarks and it seems Bachmann will get production locos correct.

And, the centre wheel balance weight in the wrong place, again (3F), as I've said before - even Airfix got that right thirty odd years ago. IIRC only a few had this arrangement as an experiment.

Still, the body looks nice apart from the big splashers and I would be replacing the Bachmann chassis anyway.

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk