Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Hi Jeff, re the Jube on the Viaduct, thanks for that it looks Superb mate, I have Drake, being born in Plymouth I had to get it when Hattons were doing it at £69 CHIP FITTED, what a bargin and now it is weathered it looks wonderful.  All I need is something to run it on, I need a layout, I need a room I need a new project, whoops I forgot, it's N Gauge next, too many trains and not enough hours in the day, would you believe it the Missis has gone to the hairdresseres and I HAVE TO DO THE HOOOOOOOOOVERING, what a waste of good modeling time. hahahahha

Catch up again later,

• Like 2

Question time to all luners: Doe any of you lot have a Hornby Caley 4-2-2 or T9 please? If you do can you confirm what the leading bogie wheelbase is please?

I'm not sure if the Bachmann compound will fit my bill either, has anyone got one please? if you do, can you see if it picks-up on it's front bogie please (if it does what is it's wheelbase please?)

Andy g

Hi Andy

I don't have a Caley or T9, but, I can check the Compound when I get home from work this evening.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, re the Jube on the Viaduct, thanks for that it looks Superb mate, I have Drake, being born in Plymouth I had to get it when Hattons were doing it at £69 CHIP FITTED, what a bargin and now it is weathered it looks wonderful.  All I need is something to run it on, I need a layout, I need a room I need a new project, whoops I forgot, it's N Gauge next, too many trains and not enough hours in the day, would you believe it the Missis has gone to the hairdresseres and I HAVE TO DO THE HOOOOOOOOOVERING, what a waste of good modeling time. hahahahha

Catch up again later,

Morning Andy.

I'll try and get an 8F picture or two once the decoder arrives and it's fitted. 

As for the hoovering..... :O Can't you take the fuse out, pretend "it's broken" and get on with some modelling?!!  :nono:

Jeff

So 1980s Waterloo-Exeter is the next layout then Andy?

Don't give him ideas, Colin!! He has enough layouts on the go as it is!

By the way, Happy New Year!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Colin and Jeff, take the fuse out, now theres an idea, must try that :declare: .

As for new ideas, well my Wife and I used to have a Video Library in Buckfastleigh, Devon, and when we had staff in, I would shoot off for a couple of hours to Dawlish, Exeter, Newton Abbott or Lira for some insperation, It was the last year of the 50's and I would love to see them thundering through Starcross between Exeter and Dawlish. There is a lovely pub there as well the, Swans Nest, it is right next to the line, but you could not see the line from inside, you had to walk over an old stone bridge a bit like the one on my Trebudoc to get a good view, about a mile each way, FANTASTIC.

So to sum up, I have to finish Trebudoc in O Gauge, prepare Glen Roy, OO Gauge, for 8 shows this year, most of which are two day ones, make a start on Glenfinick in N Gauge, find somewher to build Fiddlers Yard in OO, hope to move house, and now Colin, you are suggesting I build the Exeter to Plymouth line as well, I suppose I could try T Gauge to add a bit of variaety to my dull and boring life, hahahhahah heheeee. :O

Signed,=  Worn out of Swad  :scared:

• RMweb Premium

I don't know how you do it!! Though I suppose that if you're booked in to do exhibitions, the commitment means you just get on with the job.

Working on one layout is quite enough for me!

Jeff

Hi Colin and Jeff, take the fuse out, now theres an idea, must try that :declare: .

As for new ideas, well my Wife and I used to have a Video Library in Buckfastleigh, Devon, and when we had staff in, I would shoot off for a couple of hours to Dawlish, Exeter, Newton Abbott or Lira for some insperation, It was the last year of the 50's and I would love to see them thundering through Starcross between Exeter and Dawlish. There is a lovely pub there as well the, Swans Nest, it is right next to the line, but you could not see the line from inside, you had to walk over an old stone bridge a bit like the one on my Trebudoc to get a good view, about a mile each way, FANTASTIC.

So to sum up, I have to finish Trebudoc in O Gauge, prepare Glen Roy, OO Gauge, for 8 shows this year, most of which are two day ones, make a start on Glenfinick in N Gauge, find somewher to build Fiddlers Yard in OO, hope to move house, and now Colin, you are suggesting I build the Exeter to Plymouth line as well, I suppose I could try T Gauge to add a bit of variaety to my dull and boring life, hahahhahah heheeee. :O

Signed,=  Worn out of Swad  :scared:

Hi Andy,

I last went to Starcross in about 2000 to see the postals with 47's in RES livery. I was on my jolly at the time stopping at B&B's here and there and I stopped at the 'Chimneys' in Starcross. I told the owner I was there for the trains (50 yds away) and especially the early morning postals, anyway very early next morning I was out on the stone wall photographing away until about 08.00 when I thought I should go back for breakfast, owner approached and asked me 'have you been out this morning?' I gave hime some details of what I had seen and how it would all be gone soon, he interjected with 'I'd rather you wait until I opened the door before you go out, for security you understand' I banged my cutlery down which made the other guests take notice and replied 'I'm quite capable of opening and closing a door without any help, anyway I thought this was a guest house not Stalag 13! Herr Gruppenfhurer' I then added that I was leaving after breakfast. Happy days.

Lovely spot, was back in that area in August and its all spoiled with fencing now.

Cheers

mike

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff.

A ballasting note.

Ray had a go at Martin Wynne's method as a test but using Peco code 75 track (with sleepers spaced out) the track looks like it's sitting on top of the ballast rather than embedded in it due to the thickness of the sleepers. 

post-14049-0-39021400-1357228666.jpg

What do people think?

Maybe not such a problem with C&L/SMP track with their thinner sleepers (?).

Polly

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Hi Polly. I think your last comment summed it up - the depth of SMP/C&L is much less, so the effect of being "embedded" should be ok.

So - was this N gauge ballast and copydex? Was the ballast sprinkled onto the adhesive - I think that's what Martin did. The "granulation" of each ballast "lump" is still evident, which isn't always the case with PVA.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Hi Jeff.

A ballasting note.

Ray had a go at Martin Wynne's method as a test but using Peco code 75 track (with sleepers spaced out) the track looks like it's sitting on top of the ballast rather than embedded in it due to the thickness of the sleepers. 

attachicon.gifballast test web.JPG

What do people think?

Polly

Hi all,

Sorry not a fan of this method, in real life the ballast holds the track in place and that's what we should be aiming for in looks in model form, its only my opinion.

I have attached a few views of the ballasting I done on 'Bermuda Road' this is also Peco code 75. the first 4 show method and the last 2 the end result. Its tedious but worth it.

post-5296-0-11789600-1357229397.jpg

post-5296-0-35630600-1357229398.jpg

post-5296-0-33751300-1357229402.jpg

post-5296-0-86851700-1357229403.jpg

post-5296-0-48903300-1357229584.jpg

post-5296-0-48903300-1357229584.jpg

Cheers

mike

post-5296-0-39368800-1357229586.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The ballast was Geoscenics, 50/50 medium brown/medium light sprinkled onto wet PVA and left to dry for a few hours before tipping off the excess.  The track was laid on 1/8th inch cork (Jarvis).

Polly

Morning Mike.

The viaduct work is on (approx) pp. 9 - 25 of this thread. I built two, one for the mainline, one for a branch. I decided to change the branch (around page 50!), so that viaduct isn't being used.

I'll PM you some pics.

Thanks for the info on Alberta. Great loco - in real life and model. I was pleased to see a (relative) abundance of WDs on the photos too!! Having said all that, I pre-ordered two A4s last night..... now where are they going to go?!!

Jeff

Spare viaduct! Far too much time on your hands.

I will go back and peruse the thread a liitle more when I get some time, I have a single 'coal road' overbridge to build.

Now A4's There was AN occasion to my knowledge but does that justify two, what am I saying I have two also!!!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mike61680

Hi Andy,

I last went to Starcross in about 2000 to see the postals with 47's in RES livery. I was on my jolly at the time stopping at B&B's here and there and I stopped at the 'Chimneys' in Starcross. I told the owner I was there for the trains (50 yds away) and especially the early morning postals, anyway very early next morning I was out on the stone wall photographing away until about 08.00 when I thought I should go back for breakfast, owner approached and asked me 'have you been out this morning?' I gave hime some details of what I had seen and how it would all be gone soon, he interjected with 'I'd rather you wait until I opened the door before you go out, for security you understand' I banged my cutlery down which made the other guests take notice and replied 'I'm quite capable of opening and closing a door without any help, anyway I thought this was a guest house not Stalag 13! Herr Gruppenfhurer' I then added that I was leaving after breakfast. Happy days.

Lovely spot, was back in that area in August and its all spoiled with fencing now.

Cheers

mike

Great stuff Mike, Look for the Swans Nest, from Exeter, to Dawlish turn left at a roundabout, the road / lane only goes to the Swans Nest and an old antiques place over the bridge and then onto the wildlife reserve, I can recomend the food PUDDINGS. :sungum: :sungum:  :sungum:  

Jeff those Viaduct shots were great, BUT why didn't you stick those couple of coaches up behind? :nono:  I must say I do like the stone finnish you have achieved on the viaduct, there is a lot of small detail there. :boast:  

As for me doing a lot, well the difference between you and me is that I am a plug and play merchant and you are a model maker. By that I mean that I am happy with Peco track and points and in most cases ready to plant buildings. That is why I can get  much done in a short period of time. My layouts although satisfactory, would not stand close scrutinty as with the like of KL, Tetleys, Dent, Bacup and many more that comment on here.

This thread is made up mainly of professional track layers, point builders, and building builders such as Jason and Gordon S, Richard (Ben Alder) , the list can go on and on. I admire every one of YOU / THEM because ONE DAY I may change the way I do things when I get a decent size room and go for THE LAST GREAT PROJECT.

So I read this and the other threads, inwardly digest, and dream of ONE DAY :sungum:

Please all       KEEP ME INSPIRED

Andy.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

When everyone has ballasted their track, what will we talk about? I've always used PVA, but the ongoing discussions give me plenty to think about! Still, if everything was straightforward then life would be boring.

I do agree with Mike that "deep ballasted" track, if done properly, looks the business.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Spare viaduct! Far too much time on your hands.

I will go back and peruse the thread a liitle more when I get some time, I have a single 'coal road' overbridge to build.

Now A4's There was AN occasion to my knowledge but does that justify two, what am I saying I have two also!!!

Cheers

Mike

You're right about the time, Mike. It took about 2 weeks to build, paint etc and now it's languishing under the baseboard feeling sorry for itself - I think it was on one of the pics I PMd to you.

As for A4s. I may not run LNER, but the Hornby Dwight D. and Union of SA in that gorgeous green, well, I couldn't resist. I'll use them for something - maybe a bit of shunting in the yard?  :O  :O !!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

As for me doing a lot, well the difference between you and me is that I am a plug and play merchant and you are a model maker. By that I mean that I am happy with Peco track and points and in most cases ready to plant buildings. That is why I can get  much done in a short period of time. My layouts although satisfactory, would not stand close scrutinty as with the like of KL, Tetleys, Dent, Bacup and many more that comment on here.

This thread is made up mainly of professional track layers, point builders, and building builders such as Jason and Gordon S, Richard (Ben Alder) , the list can go on and on. I admire every one of YOU / THEM because ONE DAY I may change the way I do things when I get a decent size room and go for THE LAST GREAT PROJECT.

So I read this and the other threads, inwardly digest, and dream of ONE DAY :sungum:

Please all       KEEP ME INSPIRED

Andy.  

Andy, I think you do yourself a great dis-service! Your layouts are quite superb and, as I said the other day, if I had to hold up one layout to promote O gauge for "normal" modellers (money-wise), it would be Trebudoc.

As for modellers. Yes, I've always loved the scenic side of modelling. But this is my first go at scratchbuilding - in the vernacular, I was a "scratchbuild virgin" until I signed up with you lot. At least your layouts get finished. Some of us may end up biting off more than we can chew (ouch!  :O - naughty!  :angel: ). Although with the slave-drivers on here, there's not much chance of that.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff.

A ballasting note.

What do people think?

Polly

I had similar problems when I tried Larry's technique on my 009 track. Similarly deep sleepers, and the resultant ballast wasn't deep enough to make the track look embedded. I discussed it with Larry, and it seems this sort of technique will only work convincingly on thin sleepered track (C&L / SMP). Disappointing but the case. With PECO track, ballasting then gluing seems to be the only way to do it.

• RMweb Premium

I had similar problems when I tried Larry's technique on my 009 track. Similarly deep sleepers, and the resultant ballast wasn't deep enough to make the track look embedded. I discussed it with Larry, and it seems this sort of technique will only work convincingly on thin sleepered track (C&L / SMP). Disappointing but the case. With PECO track, ballasting then gluing seems to be the only way to do it.

Good to hear from you Michael. If you look at photos of Larry's layout you'll notice that the depth of ballasting is very thin. We'll see what I end up doing when we get there.

Hope you're getting back into the layout "swing". I need your input, comments and "encouragement"!!

Jeff

As for modellers. Yes, I've always loved the scenic side of modelling. But this is my first go at scratchbuilding - in the vernacular, I was a "scratchbuild virgin" until I signed up with you lot. At least your layouts get finished. Some of us may end up biting off more than we can chew (ouch!  :O - naughty!  :angel: ). Although with the slave-drivers on here, there's not much chance of that.

I certainly agree with that - my Christmas project is still on-going - and with 3 days left before I go back to work, I seem to have 3 weeks of diy needed to finish it.  Utterly fed up with it today, spent most of the day regretting that I'd ever started it.  Managed about 2 hours progress, too much wishing for it to be done, and not enough actual doing...

Good to hear from you Michael. If you look at photos of Larry's layout you'll notice that the depth of ballasting is very thin. We'll see what I end up doing when we get there.

Hope you're getting back into the layout "swing". I need your input, comments and "encouragement"!!

Jeff

Yes, and where he's used SMP it looks good, where he used Peco, not so - but he spreads the PVA thickly, and that makes a big difference, I did my usual (how little can I get away with?) and it showed...

I'm trying to get back into it, but I have a house that looks more like a builders yard at the moment (piles of building material dotted around - bags of plaster in the dining room, floorboard and plasterboard stacked in the lounge, and a couple of trees worth of timber on the stairs), so layout progress is a bit tricky.  However I may have recently succumbed to the lure of a new modeling distraction...  More on that tomorrow if Mr Postman is kind.

• RMweb Premium

Michael, I wouldn't worry too much about the state of the house - unless your potential SWMBO is nagging you! Visitors to my house tell me it's very tidy - maybe, but I organise it to suit myself! Having said that, the living room is full of mini-piles of railway-related books at the moment. I daren't put them away or I'll never find the info I want, again!

Spent ages the other day trying to find my reel of solder. Turned up, not in the tools, but in amongst the books!!

Projects DO take time. I daren't think about all the potential work on KL or I'll scare myself to death. I wonder how many posts we'll have reached by the time it's finished? 5,000? 6,000? The mind boggles!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Michael, I wouldn't worry too much about the state of the house - unless your potential SWMBO is nagging you! Visitors to my house tell me it's very tidy - maybe, but I organise it to suit myself! Having said that, the living room is full of mini-piles of railway-related books at the moment. I daren't put them away or I'll never find the info I want, again!

Spent ages the other day trying to find my reel of solder. Turned up, not in the tools, but in amongst the books!!

Projects DO take time. I daren't think about all the potential work on KL or I'll scare myself to death. I wonder how many posts we'll have reached by the time it's finished? 5,000? 6,000? The mind boggles!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I see we are back to numbers again, however I feel your 5-6k is well below timescale estimations, have you tried Pi for a more representative total, I'm doing my best this end!

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I see we are back to numbers again, however I feel your 5-6k is well below timescale estimations, have you tried Pi for a more representative total, I'm doing my best this end!

Cheers

Mike

So I've noticed! Thou art a fully fledged Lunester now, Mike...I think you've gone past the 20 needed to be "inducted into the order"!!

Seriously, you bring another "angle" of experience to the thread. Can't put my finger on it - you do many things the way others do, and some different. There's a wealth of experience contributing to our threads and it's good to learn new approaches to the same old problems.

I know it's a few months away, but I've just been looking at the plans of Kirkby Stephen station and how Huddersfield went about building it. It's funny - I never used to do this - but I find myself dissecting their building into sections, itemising in my head what they used for the roof, stonework etc. The only thing I'm unsure of are the doors and windows. I'll be watching to see how you deal with that on Dent.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman