Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

The S&C has always been my first love(railwaywise I should add) ever since growing up with the writings of the late David Jenkinson, so I have loved reading this thread. I used to have quite a number of S&C books until I sold them and a lot of my model railway stuff when we were short of cash in the early years of married life, anyway, to get to the point of this post.

I went through each of the S&C books I had looking at the photos and made a note of the BR number of each loco that was photographed along with things like the type of tender towed by the Jubilees and a couple of other details like 4F's with tender cabs and wrote them out on a long list, which lo and behold I found a week or two ago and it runs to about 15 pages, Next time I'm on nights I am going to type it all up to make a tidy copy and yes there were WD's on the list.

When I get it done would a copy like this be of any use to you? 

Ian

Hi Ian,

Good to find another S&C devotee! It really is the most beautiful railway line. I'm not saying there aren't others in the UK that are as good, but it's an absolute gem for modelling!

A copy of your list would be absolutely brilliant. A resource like that would certainly help with loco rosters - though I'm not aiming for 100% prototypical accuracy! If you're happy to send a copy, let me know when and I'll give you an email (or other address). Many thanks.

I hope the thread will be even more entertaining this year. We should get to the scenics stage in a few months time - KL will start to look a bit more "rugged" when the hillside goes in. Please chip in with ideas and comments at any time.

Cheers Ian,

Jeff

• Like 1

The Midland ones had them to match the American Pullmans! The idea was to allow more light into the interior (Real Clerestories are the top stories on the naves of Churches, again to get more light into the nave (as usually as soon as side naves (The real names has gone!) are added you loose all the light, so you extented the nave upwards one storey and put the windows up there and bobs your uncle, the centre nave is less dark)

They were also used to add ventilation space. They went out of favour as they made the vehicle weak in collisions, and probably cost more to make.

Andy G

Correct Andy, there is also a story that it was to provide extra room to allow gentlemen to wear their top hats whilst walking down the carriage.

Al

• RMweb Gold

I have heard two poeple pronunce it as 'cler - res - tory' recently. I would have to find the dictonary to find out how we are supposed to say it!

When you get your locos out to play, can you measure the bogies for me please (if they have pick-ups on!)?

BTW the 'lad' hasn't arrived yet... so have been checking out Dent. Bad news is the rain has arrived ;-{

Andy G (101)

Having prononced it Kler -rest- story for years I decided that I had reall better look at the spelling properly and decided it should be pronounced Clear-storey.  This thread then suggested that my first pronounciation was correct.  As I am of an age where I can embarrass myself daily I thought I should check just to make it one less thing to trip me up.

I 'internetted it' (as my future daughter-in-law says) and found three online dictionaries all of which said the pronounciation is-     

'Clear-story'.

I know it is not as interesting as all the locos that ran on the S&C but It amuses me. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris. I've been pronouncing it "clear-story" for years, but saw a couple of railway programmes where the coaches were being restored. That's where the other pronunciation came from. I began to think my way of saying it was a "Northern thing"!!

So I'm pleased about that.

Another one that amuses me is Caribbean. Most people I know, including one who came from Trinidad, say: Ka - ree -bee-un. But I'm told it should be Kur - ib - bee - un....

Anyway, let's not get too embroiled in the "You say tur-may-toe, I say ta-mar-toe" thing..... Each to their own!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff

The S&C has always been my first love(railwaywise I should add) ever since growing up with the writings of the late David Jenkinson, so I have loved reading this thread. I used to have quite a number of S&C books until I sold them and a lot of my model railway stuff when we were short of cash in the early years of married life, anyway, to get to the point of this post.

I went through each of the S&C books I had looking at the photos and made a note of the BR number of each loco that was photographed along with things like the type of tender towed by the Jubilees and a couple of other details like 4F's with tender cabs and wrote them out on a long list, which lo and behold I found a week or two ago and it runs to about 15 pages, Next time I'm on nights I am going to type it all up to make a tidy copy and yes there were WD's on the list.

Hi Ian,

I would love a copy of the list to help with my Dent project.

Cheers

Mike

Ian

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry Mike. It's legible!

I think you are typing inside the quotation - I've done this too - sometimes the cursor seems to have a mind of its own.

I must admit that I've never built a layout that is sufficiently close to prototype that it warrants such attention to the loco stock. Maybe we ought to create a fictional timetable: I'll dispatch trains from KL and they'll arrive at Dent a fixed time later. Only joking!

Jeff

Hey! Why not!

That kind of thing certainly happens on some basement empires over the pond, as the Atlantic is sometimes known!

Where John in Texas will phone Jeff in California and say "Freight handing over to you with 10 vans, 6 flats, 5 opens and 27 loaded coal hoppers"

Could be a way of adding extra interest to operations over here, perhaps?

Prost,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff

Ian

Geoff

You would be correct in saying that WD 2-8-0s were not common visitors.

I have a record of 3 in my inventory of published pics:

90012 on a regular freight at Ais Gill in May 1961

90335 on a southbound freight date unknown

90635 at Dent station on a down anhydride working again in May 1961

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hey! Why not!

That kind of thing certainly happens on some basement empires over the pond, as the Atlantic is sometimes known!

Where John in Texas will phone Jeff in California and say "Freight handing over to you with 10 vans, 6 flats, 5 opens and 27 loaded coal hoppers"

Prost,

John E.

Certainly would make it interesting wouldn't it? You'd have to make sure that everyone had enough stock.

How far along the S&C can we get with made layouts I wonder?

Here's a little something from my efforts today:

post-8375-0-40784800-1357066123.jpg

(I daren't add any others of the photos I took, as there might be objections to the clarity of detail on the ahem, 'model'! :O )

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Geoff

You would be correct in saying that WD 2-8-0s were not common visitors.

I have a record of 3 in my inventory of published pics:

90012 on a regular freight at Ais Gill in May 1961

90335 on a southbound freight date unknown

90635 at Dent station on a down anhydride working again in May 1961

Steve

Thanks for the info. Steve. I think that's sufficient justification for running one on KL. I can push the running period back to late 50s (nearly all my locos are late crest), so 1961 will fit in nicely!

Oh well, it looks like a WD is now on the shopping list - time to save up, as they're not due out until the summer.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's very suggestive, Andy. I hope that wasn't the Royal Train you were modelling - Princess Anne will have a fit!

You're a naughty boy!! (I wonder what t'other Andy will say?).

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

That's very suggestive, Andy. I hope that wasn't the Royal Train you were modelling - Princess Anne will have a fit!

Jeff

For the time being the Royal Train (LNWR version of course, not the modern version (which I've had past the box twice this year)) is very much on the back burner. It's quite a build, mainly 12 wheeled sleepers and diners (I've got to have some for normal use, so when I make the sides for those I might do a couple for RT use) plus some semi-royals and the two ex-1st brakes. One day though!

This is a shot through the window of 3rd class in my WCJS sleeper, which is almost finished...

Andy G

Hi Mike

I will be happy to send you a copy as well, It will be a few weeks though as I will do it on my next weekend night shift when its quiet and we've put the engineering trains out of the way(I work in a Signalbox), would you both be OK with it on an Excel spreadsheet I can then update it when the need arises? When you are ready I also have photocopies of a 1930's and a 1961 Pass & Frt S&C WTT.

Ian

Jeff

Jeff

Cant stop DRIBBLING, NEED TO CHANGE MY medication again.

Lunester looon

Hey! Why not!

Prost,

John E.

Hey! Why not!

Prost,

John E.

I do like this idea Jeff I could send you a China Clay with a Toad on the back, and you can send me a FELL that would get rid of it for you...

Loony 2 shoes

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do like this idea Jeff I could send you a China Clay with a Toad on the back, and you can send me a FELL that would get rid of it for you...

Loony 2 shoes

If you incorporate a scrapyard into one of your layouts I will gladly pull the Fell over to you. Hauled by my WD, of course!

And stop dribbling, man. Medication: go and breathe a few evostik fumes - does wonders for the ventilation!

Btw, Andy. Do you have a split-chassis (old Bachmann) WD or V2 in your collection at present?

Btw2: Hoping the decoder and 8F will arrive tomorrow. I'm getting excited. Just like Christmas!!!!!  :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike

I will be happy to send you a copy as well, It will be a few weeks though as I will do it on my next weekend night shift when its quiet and we've put the engineering trains out of the way(I work in a Signalbox), would you both be OK with it on an Excel spreadsheet I can then update it when the need arises? When you are ready I also have photocopies of a 1930's and a 1961 Pass & Frt S&C WTT.

Ian

Ian, that's great. Just do whatever is convenient for you - I (and I'm sure Mike as well) don't want to put you to any extra trouble.

Whenever it's ready - bl**dy marvellous!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Mike

Ian

Hi Ian,

Many thanks, Excel is fine with me, the 1961 WTT would be a hand asset also.

Cheers

Mike

Don't worry Mike. It's legible!

I think you are typing inside the quotation - I've done this too - sometimes the cursor seems to have a mind of its own.

I must admit that I've never built a layout that is sufficiently close to prototype that it warrants such attention to the loco stock. Maybe we ought to create a fictional timetable: I'll dispatch trains from KL and they'll arrive at Dent a fixed time later. Only joking!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

See what you've started. A coast to coast S&C route is in the making, we'll all have to ensure we have correct stock formations etc. I don't do nights though - will that be a problem?

Cheers

Mike

PS

Cursor has been tamed - cheers for that

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

See what you've started. A coast to coast S&C route is in the making, we'll all have to ensure we have correct stock formations etc. I don't do nights though - will that be a problem?

Cheers

Mike

PS

Cursor has been tamed - cheers for that

Yes, and I only suggested it as a joke!! I can't see it'll happen, as we only have Dent and KL. Now if somebody was prepared to model Settle, and someone can do Appleby.... and maybe we could have an intermediate - say a Smardale or Lunds viaduct scene (EASY!!) then we're made!

There's a newish thread in the Modelling Musings section called "Dream layout". Bit misleading - it asks for a location you'd model. I went a little off the beam with Hellifield. But we could integrate that onto the S&C (pre 1970, of course) and we're away!

Delighted to have another S&C nut, and excellent modeller (YOU) along!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Ian, that's great. Just do whatever is convenient for you - I (and I'm sure Mike as well) don't want to put you to any extra trouble.

Whenever it's ready - bl**dy marvellous!

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff(& Mike)

No problem whatever to do this for you, I've had loads of help and encouragement from RMweb so its nice I can do something for someone else, as for the WTT's I enjoy putting timetables together so I would be quite happy to do a listing of trains for each of your stations(Unless it is something you would prefer to do yourselves) from the 1961 WTT, Dent is no problem, but, just remined me which station KL is based on for me to get the times correct

Ian

P:S Just been reading all of D Jenkinson's articles I fancy Dent Head Jc myself!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff(& Mike)

No problem whatever to do this for you, I've had loads of help and encouragement from RMweb so its nice I can do something for someone else, as for the WTT's I enjoy putting timetables together so I would be quite happy to do a listing of trains for each of your stations(Unless it is something you would prefer to do yourselves) from the 1961 WTT, Dent is no problem, but, just remined me which station KL is based on for me to get the times correct

Ian

P:S Just been reading all of D Jenkinson's articles I fancy Dent Head Jc myself!!!

Ian, you're a brilliant, and very generous man!

Kirkby Luneside is 80% Kirkby Stephen - the station and goods area are very closely based on the prototype. The remainder was a loose variation on part of Garsdale, allowing a branchline and loop. The viaduct section is "freelance", but the viaduct itself is a scaled down version of Ribblehead (only 6 arches and scaled to 75' from 102') - see this thread, around page 10 (!!!!!) for ongoing plans.

So a WTT for K Stephen would be excellent!

Many thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, told you I would come back and PLAGUE YOU, hahah,

I intend to have a good read later and catch up with the last couple of pages as you seem to be RACING into 2013 at a geat rate of knotts, with lots of posts from many informed participants.

All the best Andy, L.L..