Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Interesting comments that tie in with my experience. A few years ago, I could get as much 2mm MDF as I needed from my local Homebase. Then it became very hard to come by. A nice material, easy to cut with a craft knife. I've not had any splinters from 2mm or 3mm ply, but the stuff I'm using is birch - it's lovely to work with, but a bit harder to cut than the MDF.

I agree about modelling a prototype. Until the current build I'd always thought the idea of "copying" somewhere was just plain stupid. But a fiction never turns out as good as something based on fact. So 90% of KL is based on Kirkby Stephen - and the research is great fun.

I won't be working to a timetable. If I get the locos and the surroundings right, that's good enough for me. I'll be settling down with a cup of coffee and watching those long freights drift on by.....

Jeff

Jeff,

My sentiments exactly - watch the trains go by, we will have worked hard enough by then to warrant a rest.

Cheers

mike

Interesting comments that tie in with my experience. A few years ago, I could get as much 2mm MDF as I needed from my local Homebase. Then it became very hard to come by. A nice material, easy to cut with a craft knife. I've not had any splinters from 2mm or 3mm ply, but the stuff I'm using is birch - it's lovely to work with, but a bit harder to cut than the MDF.

I agree about modelling a prototype. Until the current build I'd always thought the idea of "copying" somewhere was just plain stupid. But a fiction never turns out as good as something based on fact. So 90% of KL is based on Kirkby Stephen - and the research is great fun.

I won't be working to a timetable. If I get the locos and the surroundings right, that's good enough for me. I'll be settling down with a cup of coffee and watching those long freights drift on by.....

Jeff

Jeff,

My sentiments exactly - watch the trains go by, we will have worked hard enough by then to warrant a rest.

Cheers

mike

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Cheers

mike

Mike - funny thing is, once we get our current projects up and running we're certain to be planning to build "the next one"!!!

Do you know a serious modeller who ever sits still for long?!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Bradley , oops, Andy - I think you've made plenty of constructive comments. You've frequently told me I'm doing a good job when others have had the sense to keep quiet! Lol.

As for that gold medal. Well, you've used so many of those yellow smileys over the last 9 months, you deserve one!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I think I must have the mentality of a librarian..... :O

No, you are a Physicist.  I have the same problem (?), cannot help counting things.  You probably do as I do, and a collegue does who says things like, that took approximately 2 hrs 53 mins. :yes:

• RMweb Premium

No, you are a Physicist.  I have the same problem (?), cannot help counting things.  You probably do as I do, and a collegue does who says things like, that took approximately 2 hrs 53 mins. :yes:

Yes Chris, and your posts total somewhere between 19 and 21!! Lol. (upto post 2700 - you see....number mad!).

You're right about the counting. Tend to keep it to myself, unless I'm with like-minded people.

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff,

No No No! Dent is definately my last layout,,,,, but maybe I'm thinking too far ahead, when in doubt refer to plan 'B' - Keep my indecision final !

You mentioned Kirkby Stephen plans a few post ago, do you need them or can't you find them ?

Cheers

mike

Edited by mike61680

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Yes Chris, and your posts total somewhere between 19 and 21!! Lol. (upto post 2700 - you see....number mad!).

You're right about the counting. Tend to keep it to myself, unless I'm with like-minded people.

Jeff

Which is about 30.1% of all my posts on RMWeb, or 31.8% now.

Having posted about model figures it sparked me again to trawl through a wargamming blog with about 50 links to figures of about the size we need for 4mm looking for non combatants.  As the figures I want are late 19th century it is usually a complete waste of time.  It proved so again but I did come across some squaddies and an officer both with kit bags!  There was also a group just hanging around, again without weapons.  Given that there was National Service in the 50s these would make an interesting addition to waiting passengers.  I will post them here, if you don't mind as they would be useful to anyone modelling the 50s.  They are of such good quaility I have ordered the first two even though they will not be used on my layout.

http://www.mms-models.co.uk/accessory/products_accessoryPage.php?69  Officer

http://www.mms-models.co.uk/accessory/products_accessoryPage.php?68 Squaddies with Kit bags

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.php?productid=287&cat=153&page=2  Squaddies lounging

I also found some welding equipment and workshop tools but I will post those if anyone is interested but I found these German Officers, one of whom is looking at his watch and is crying out to be put on a station wating for a train.

http://elhiemfigures.com/prod_desc_LC02.html?sno=298

Hope this helps someone

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

No No No! Dent is definately my last layout,,,,, but maybe I'm thinking too far ahead, when in doubt refer to plan 'B' - Keep my indecision final !

You mentioned Kirkby Stephen plans a few post ago, do you need them or can't you find them ?

Cheers

mike

Hi Mike,

I've got some drawings in a wonderful collection of stuff sent to me by Ian Macdonald. Don't know whether you're familiar with him? He was behind the layout "Kirkby Stephen West", along with the Huddersfield MRC. In the typical, generous style of people on this Forum, he sent me a DVD with ALL his research, photos, exhibition pics etc. Amazing stuff.

If you have any additional material, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Jeff

ps. KS West has been in Hornby Mag and twice in RM - most recently November 2012. It's a superb layout.

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Chris. Sorry, I forgot to mention you in my "list" in the earlier post.

Btw, your posts on KL now make up 33.3% of your RMweb total. Good man, you have taste and know where to post.....  :sungum:

Me? I've now done 1311/2509 = 52.3% of all my posts on KL..... its those bl**dy numbers again!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What I want to know is how you compiled the list Jeff. Either there is some functionality I am not aware of or you spent the day going through the thread, tallying them up. If it is the latter, then you really need to get modelling again, and soon :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just complete this sequence Jeff. No, not diesel classes that ran over the S&C, though some did.....

Let me know when you finish.

Sorry, I could not resist this one

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/060304/prime-phone-number.gif

I promise, no more.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

What I want to know is how you compiled the list Jeff. Either there is some functionality I am not aware of or you spent the day going through the thread, tallying them up. If it is the latter, then you really need to get modelling again, and soon :D

I don't think there's a quick way to do the tallies. To be honest, I was bored - you are right, I need to get modelling again.... I suspect I'll be in the bunker tomorrow. Just spent the last 30 mins running a class 9 round what is left of the old layout. The repaired dcc bus works!

All ready to chip and run the 8F now!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just complete this sequence Jeff. No, not diesel classes that ran over the S&C, though some did.....

Let me know when you finish.

Sorry Peter, I continued the sequence for about 3 hours then realised I'd be there for a while longer..... :yahoo:

I'm just about to start calculating pi to a million places before settling down to learn the sequence!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thought it'd get you into the modelling mode Jeff.

We'll all become serious on 1st Jan......... :mail:

D'oh, that's another post for your total

We might start modelling, but serious?????

Yes, I think you're making a beeline for the 100 mark before the end of tomorrow!

Will be back in an hour or so - coffee and running a few of my diesels..... :clapping:

We have a few half-centurions ...  uax6 (Andy)  99,  Stationmaster (Mike)  91,   Coachmann (Larry)  91,  robmcg (Robbie)  69,  MichaelW  63,  Western Sunset (Peter)  60

That's a good quarter of my posts. Something has gone wrong though, I have 3 layout threads of my own, and none of them have reached 63 posts in total, surely I should have managed a few more...

Plenty of ongoing, excellent projects. Here on KL, lots to do. Mike's Dent Station. Jason's masterpiece at Bacup. Michael's 009 project. Bill at Hemyock. Bill with his artistry, Andy with his coaches, Gordon with Eastwood Town, Jonathan - with his planned loft-based Midland panorama. Larry with Greenfield, and plenty more... And, of course, master loonster himself, AndyP with his O, OO and N gauge projects...

I think the only one of those I haven't been keeping up with is AndyP and his many projects. Sadly not much progress on the 009 at the moment. I decided to take advantage of the Christmas break to do a little work on the house, fixing some flood damage (leaky shower the previous owners didn't quite fix), and improving the heating. One thing has led to another, and the ceiling goes back up tomorrow... Here's hoping that means no more destructiveness is required.

Hope you had fun watching the trains go by Jeff. Having enjoyed watching your adventures so far, I'm looking forward to the next year.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Michael. Yes, I've enjoyed having a little play amongst the ruins of the old layout. Just been running my class 9 shunter backwards and forwards. Nice to see a loco moving!

Let's hope there'll be plenty more traction in the New Year.

I notice you've moved to The Shire. It must drive you mad, having all those Hobbits around. Mind you, I hear Frodo is good at ceiling repairs. Just pick up the phone - ONE RING and he'll come running!!

Jeff 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, as I was just short of the 100th post (being at 99) I thought I would chip in this morning before the learner arrives (Oh what fun, spending my day with someone I wish wasn't here, in a small wooden box, where the only escape is the loo or to go and do the gates, neither of which will look exciting when the rain starts today!)

Modelling today? I'm not sure I will be, as I find it difficult with others in the box. I have, mind you, brought in some of my MRC carriage drawing scans of MR clerestory round panelled Bain coaches to see what I can bash out of Ratio sides. I'll most likely spend most of the rest of the day trying to find out what the 'lad' knows and trying to persawde him to try up in the afternoons for the rest of the week!

I'm glad to see that I'm in the company of others who like a good statistic! Being a fustrated scientist/engineer I do find I love counting up wierd things!

Here's wishing a happy new year to all the Lunesters out there!

Andy G

Can anyone help me with a 24mm wheelbase loco bogie with pickups please? (Just telling me what has one fitted is all I want, so I can order one as a spare! It's a nice easy job for the day for someone!)

• RMweb Premium

Morning 'CHARD. 

Sorry I wasn't still awake at 4am - I succumbed and put the Kindle to bed at 3.30! Anyway, up bright and breezy now for another (rest) day of non-modelling!

I do intend to run a few locos round my old layout. That'll be exciting.... round and round and round.... that's why it had to go, it was very boring.

The Waverlites? Wasn't that a song by Desmond Dekker and The Aces in 1968? Silly me, that was The Israelites...

Anyway, cup of coffee and I'll warm a couple of Rats up.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Andy, congratulations on your 100th post on this thread. Hope you have a fun day with your trainee.

And good luck with the clerestorys ... funny word, that. I used to pronounce it as in  clear - story, until I was rebuked and told klur - rest - orry!

Jeff

Hi Mike,

I've got some drawings in a wonderful collection of stuff sent to me by Ian Macdonald. Don't know whether you're familiar with him? He was behind the layout "Kirkby Stephen West", along with the Huddersfield MRC. In the typical, generous style of people on this Forum, he sent me a DVD with ALL his research, photos, exhibition pics etc. Amazing stuff.

If you have any additional material, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Jeff

ps. KS West has been in Hornby Mag and twice in RM - most recently November 2012. It's a superb layout.

Hi Jeff,

I know the layout well and when seeing it at exhibitions I tend to linger there a bit too long. I only have the usual collection of S&C books which contain usual snippets of KSW. If you are missing anything in particular please don't hesitate to ask and I will have a rummage through.

The Huddersfield layout has certainly inspired me each and every time I see it. Their stock selection is really inspiring especially the freight. Must have missed RM in November will get a copy from somewhere. I currently subscribe to Model Rail but may switch allegiance when the sub's end, its not floating my boat as they say.

Cheers

Mike