Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I'm just off to cut some more ply...

Slaving away in the office, I'm very jealous of you retired folk! Your earlier comment made me giggle at just how tough retired life can be: "a few journeys on the S&C, a bit of fishing, some walking and I may get a little layout work done!"

On a more serious note, I look forward to seeing the second viaduct come together :)

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Hi Will,

Maybe I'm getting into the "retired mentality"!

Started viaduct yesterday...here's where I am now...there should be a further update this evening...

Jeff

post-13778-0-56756300-1343308141_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-90048800-1343308170_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Jeff,

Well, sorry I've not been around for a while - you've certainly been busy since I last caught up! Very inspiring stuff, I must say.

Enjoy your retirement and keep on modelling.

All the best,

John E.

P.S. I meant to say - I really don't know how you can keep the momentum up, what with the modelling, photographing and posting on here! It takes me all my time just to get a little bit of modelling done, only if I'm really 'good' do I get to take a picture - there's plenty of pics in my camera, just can't be bothered to do anything with them at the mo! Sorry!

Edited by Allegheny1600
  • Like 1

Fantastic progress, Jeff. Puttintg the rest of us to shame!

I'm making my excuses that work is so hectic that the 'other' lives - baby trains/ blaring punk rock - are sidelined pretty much for the foreseeable.... The great thing about your layout being that it's nothing if not massively inspirational, and what I am managing to do is a top to toe clearout of the garage in order to give me the best run at the beast when a few days do present themselves, hopefully later in August.

Loving the timeline mate, keep the updates coming.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John and 'CHARD,

I think I'm a bit of an obsessive - once I get an idea, I just don't give up 'til I've sorted it out. When you boys "encouraged" me to go "curved" I wasn't sure I could do it. But it was a challenge, so - to hell with it - have a go! I'm just on a coffee break - I've knocked the skeleton of the Branch viaduct together in about 6 hours work. Photos to follow as soon as I download them.

There are some totally amazing layouts on this Forum. All I need to do for inspiration is look at them, AND have you guys give me constructive advice. I think Will (CWJ) was unsure about suggesting curved lines into the station - necessitating curved viaducts - BUT I'M GLAD HE DID!!

There may be a short hiatus in the next week or so - I'm going to relax (!!) and do some fishing with my dad. A few 6 pound bream, some roach and the odd tench. Superb!

Keep the suggestions/comments/criticisms coming. What you boys know is immense compared to me!

All the best,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, latest pics downloaded. This is where I am - fitted the fascias about 20 mins ago. Have to wait now 'til the PVA sets, so that's it for today. Well, actually not - going to play with track templates later.

Got to get as much done before I go a la peche!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-13159600-1343319088_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-12793300-1343319111_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

really looking great, when I get moved I will have to order one OR MAYBEE TWO! :no:all the best Andy.

ONLY TWO? Are you a Yorkshireman? (uttered by a true Lancastrian - no offence intended lads!!).

I may set up in business Andy!! Lol. I've got the main structure sussed out now - but the cladding could be interesting! Good to hear about your layouts and imminent RM article. And btw, you've reminded me of something I should have mentioned in my earlier post (355) ... another thing that inspires me is the humour on the Forum. We all cajole each other along, and it's great.

Nothing like a learning curve to get the juices going!!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Branch viaduct getting the pier-filler treatment. Not so much needed as the main one but, Sod's Law, I ran out of filler with one bit left to do.

I've positioned the viaducts in roughly the right place. 2 different views - one from left bottom corner (behind hillside - see previous plans POST 314), the second is the view from platform 2.

Of course, the whole thing looks bizarre because the baseboards need raising by 30cm, so the viaducts actually span something!

Jeff

post-13778-0-08028600-1343415593_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40389900-1343415614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Update. Piers are now filled - experience suggests it takes at least 2-3 days before the filler is bone dry - when it can be rubbed down.

I've ordered a number of sheets of Slaters 7mm dressed stone: I was pleased to discover I already had quite a stash from previous projects, so hopefully I'll have enough to clad the main viaduct when I get round to it.

40 thou plasticard sheets ordered - to construct the arch rings. Stringer course will be applied using Plastruct (I've gone for 3mm section, 9 inches to scale - may be a bit wide, but should be in keeping with the overscale nature of the stonework).

So there you have it. Almost time to go fishing!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter. I'm a very patient guy - though you might not think so with the "apparent" haste with which I'm flying along. But yes, I agree, I want to see them in a more "natural" position...

I'll need to establish the track plan (I thought I had a definitive plan, based on Peco 75, but switching to SMP/Marcway has changed things - position wise - a bit), then raise the boards. But before that I'll have to clad the viaducts. Oh, and there's the small matter of the backscene boards... etc etc. I'm sure you know it well!! :no:

But it's all part of the pleasure, isn't it? In one of your earlier posts you mentioned about seeing a 9F steaming through the station. I'm looking forward to a 9F flying over the main viaduct, whilst a Crab or 3MT trundles over the branch in the opposite direction. I'm sure I can manage a few Peaks and class 40s, if you'd prefer (sorry, green not blue!).

Anyway, best wishes in sunny Oz.

Jeff

Indeed, I love the sight of a Starship dragging the long goods uphill, with something else (be it the 108, or the 153 (!) or any other train) passing each other in Long Marton.

35 MPH, and you _hear_ the train coming first, then see it...

James

Hi Jeff, i've been away from the forum for a while the Airfix kits have taken over for the time being, and I've been spending my time on other forums. The second viaduct is looking good. Once you put the tracked in it is going to look rather impressive.

Jonathan:

Hi Jeff, Have a good time. I am a civil servant working at the ground floor office of St Mark's House, across the footbridge from Stockton shopping centre, but will probably be moved to Darlington when the offices closes for good a year in October. It is a long way but we moved so that my late SWMBO could be nearer to her school. The drive back home is fantastic though even in winter. Never missed a day due to weather although have been late on one or two occasions.

Jonathan

Looks like you work a few hundred yards from me, I too work on Teesdale, over in Churchill house, and in sight of the worlds first ticket office. St. Johns crossing on bridge road. The birthplace of the railways. (let's see who disagrees! ;-) )

Al

• RMweb Premium

Hee hee James. Couldn't agree more! Btw, I've heard 9Fs referred to as "spaceships". I must admit "starship" is even more evocative... power and size in abundance.

Let's see if my layout ends up justifying the imagery!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, i've been away from the forum for a while the Airfix kits have taken over for the time being, and I've been spending my time on other forums. The second viaduct is looking good. Once you put the tracked in it is going to look rather impressive.

Jonathan:

Looks like you work a few hundred yards from me, I too work on Teesdale, over in Churchill house, and in sight of the worlds first ticket office. St. Johns crossing on bridge road. The birthplace of the railways. (let's see who disagrees! ;-) )

Al

It really is a small world, isn't it? Maybe there are a lot more railway modellers than care to admit it...we seem to be everywhere.

And Al, if you look at the next post you'll see what I've been doing for the last hour or so...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I wanted to check that my proposed plan was still going to fit into the available space. So I've had a (very inaccurate) play with some SMP track and templates, kindly supplied by Schubert.

The good news is that it looks like it's going to work - with minimal compromises. Phew!

Jeff

post-13778-0-59942800-1343504269_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'll need to establish the track plan (I thought I had a definitive plan, based on Peco 75, but switching to SMP/Marcway has changed things - position wise - a bit

I smiled at this, having been in a similar position. Peco Code 75 & 100 is a compact track system that allows all sorts to be achieved in a short space. Although it is a step up from trainset track it still has toylike geometry, none more so than the 24" radius slips. Trains suddenly bearing left or right even on the so-called large-radius points is very off-putting. I don't think you will be dissapointed with Marcway.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

I smiled at this, having been in a similar position. Peco Code 75 & 100 is a compact track system that allows all sorts to be achieved in a short space. Although it is a step up from trainset track it still has toylike geometry, none more so than the 24" radius slips. Trains suddenly bearing left or right even on the so-called large-radius points is very off-putting. I don't think you will be dissapointed with Marcway.

I think I'll agree with you Larry. I've ordered some turnouts - I'm expecting 60" L&R hand, 54" slips and some 36/54" curved points. I keep looking at the curve on the main viaduct - it's over 4'6" - unheard of in my previous layouts. There is an illusion at play here which convinces me - measurements say otherwise - that the viaduct curves won't fit into the room. But they should look very nice when up and running!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just spent an hour in the bunker, rubbing down the filler in the piers of the mainline viaduct. Very messy, but a very satisfying result!

Good job I had something to do - I was effectively stuck in there for a while as a torrential downpour, hailstones, thunder and lightning ensued. I wonder if the weather has been summoned by Seb Coe? Isn't it called giving your own competitors "homefield advantage"? :scratchhead:

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I like the idea of track templates, I have a shed load of Markway and SMP track and points in code 75 but still not sure if it is me yet :no: , with 45 odd points it means buying a lot of slow action motors and polarity switches, I just like to get the track laid and something running within 24 hours, hahahahahahahah may stick to Peco!!!!! all the best Andy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, I like the idea of track templates, I have a shed load of Markway and SMP track and points in code 75 but still not sure if it is me yet :no: , with 45 odd points it means buying a lot of slow action motors and polarity switches, I just like to get the track laid and something running within 24 hours, hahahahahahahah may stick to Peco!!!!! all the best Andy

Hell's teeth Andy!! You must be a mind-reader... I've got about the same number of points and the thought of fitting Cobalt/Tortoises to all of them...umm. Not the actual fitting, but the bleeding cost of the enterprise. I think I'll get the point motors for the scenic section only, and operate the fiddle yard manually. I paid my mortgage off some time back and don't want to take out another!

There is a certain satisfaction in just getting the track down. But I'll just take my time with KL and hope it works out.

Good to hear from you!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Shop around for Torti. For DCC, I have found them to be very reliable, fed with DS 64 (Digitrax) decoders. (52's are OK too, but not the 44's, because they seemed to be a little over sensitive to loosing the stored # for turnout motors, and are a pain to re-flash)

I've got something like 60 of them (Torti) in Long Marton, bought 12 at a time. (I've also got 12 more in the Thomas layout that the sons play with...it was automated for a while with Mindstorms (Lego PIC Bricks) ).

The choice of decoder will be a bit dictated by the command control system you are using. I cannot see any point to using detection on track switches, the worst that happens is a derailment, and that is very infrequent due to a failure of the turnout to change position.

James

Hi Peter. I'm a very patient guy - though you might not think so with the "apparent" haste with which I'm flying along. But yes, I agree, I want to see them in a more "natural" position...

I'll need to establish the track plan (I thought I had a definitive plan, based on Peco 75, but switching to SMP/Marcway has changed things - position wise - a bit), then raise the boards. But before that I'll have to clad the viaducts. Oh, and there's the small matter of the backscene boards... etc etc. I'm sure you know it well!! :no:

But it's all part of the pleasure, isn't it? In one of your earlier posts you mentioned about seeing a 9F steaming through the station. I'm looking forward to a 9F flying over the main viaduct, whilst a Crab or 3MT trundles over the branch in the opposite direction. I'm sure I can manage a few Peaks and class 40s, if you'd prefer (sorry, green not blue!).

Anyway, best wishes in sunny Oz.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I must admit if I could start again I would have a crack at building some points. I have been planning a small layout for when Llanbourne is finished so will give it a go then.

I am sure you will be able to fit in the pointwork you want and it will make for better running.

Oh yes backscenes, don't leave till last like I did. lol

A 9F and a Crab or 3MT would look great, and I don't mind Green diesels either, they don't have to be blue. If I had the money I would probably run Llabourne in a late 60s period too, I have always liked the Standards my first ever tender loco was a Mainline Standard 4, I still have it. I was introduced to the delights of the S&D back when I was about 14. A member of my local railway club let me operate his S&D based layout which allowed for double heading. I remember getting a slight telling off when the owner came back to his layout to find me double heading the Pines Express with two 9Fs. Though the best bit was seeing my loco getting plenty of use.

You will be pleased to know the weather here is quite cool only 14 today, with showers.

Cheers Peter.