Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

I'm sure you always keep on the straight and narrow Andy! Lol. The rate you work, you will have your new layout up-and-running within the year! It will be very entertaining to watch developments.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, your not wrong, just started a small diorama for the Hornby Magazine 3sq ft competition, I will post it soon as I dont want to give away too many secrets just yet. catch up again soon, Andy.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, your not wrong, just started a small diorama for the Hornby Magazine 3sq ft competition, I will post it soon as I dont want to give away too many secrets just yet. catch up again soon, Andy.

Fantastic - you just can't stop!

Must admit, I've done absolutely nothing tonight. I'm still suffering the after-effects of last night's gargantuan curry. I took one look at the new viaduct plan, turned away and watched the Tour de France highlights instead!

Saving myself for next week. Crack-on with the branch viaduct and order the SMP/Marcway stuff.

Good luck with the Hornby comp. Andy!

Jeff

Hi Al,

I'm going to stick to a smaller, curved viaduct. Plans already sketched out, and hope to start building it soon.

Pop round later in the month and see what's been achieved!

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, I'll take you up on that offer.

Why is it , when you have plent of time on your hands you have no baseboards to build on? I've just been given another week of R'n'R !!! Ah well I just suppose it will have to be another Airfix kit or two ;-)

Al

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Jeff, I'll take you up on that offer.

Why is it , when you have plent of time on your hands you have no baseboards to build on? I've just been given another week of R'n'R !!! Ah well I just suppose it will have to be another Airfix kit or two ;-)

Al

You clearly have a very understanding doctor! I'm sure you can find something to do...how many kits have you collected?

I'll be in touch shortly. I'm sure we'll have plenty to discuss - I always seem to have a million ideas after you've been round.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, your thread has made me join RMweb, lovely work BTW. I have made all the mistakes one can make with my current layout which was started eight years ago when I lost my SWMBO to the big C -I have built it in what was her study in the cellar. I have gradients and they are far too steep. I have had to take the weights out of coaches so the passenger locos can still have up to eight bogies on. The goods locos easily take twenty wagons though. The gradients BTW are to get the main running tracks to a low level fiddle yard. I still like this idea as it gives a long run but next time the gradients will be far gentler. I don't have a station, but an MPD where I can show off my engines. For the back scene can I recommend bendy MDF?

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, your thread has made me join RMweb, lovely work BTW. I have made all the mistakes one can make with my current layout which was started eight years ago when I lost my SWMBO to the big C -I have built it in what was her study in the cellar. I have gradients and they are far too steep. I have had to take the weights out of coaches so the passenger locos can still have up to eight bogies on. The goods locos easily take twenty wagons though. The gradients BTW are to get the main running tracks to a low level fiddle yard. I still like this idea as it gives a long run but next time the gradients will be far gentler. I don't have a station, but an MPD where I can show off my engines. For the back scene can I recommend bendy MDF?

Thanks very much for your kind comments. Glad I could inspire you to join!!

Yes, I made loads of mistakes - including gradients - but it worked in my favour in terms of a learning process! I'm just looking forward to getting round to laying track and building the scenery - autumn, I reckon.

I've found 3mm mdf to be pretty bendy - I used to get 2mm from Homebase - fantastic for the backscene - but it doesn't seem to available any more. Keep following the thread and chip in with any ideas/suggestions. THAT is the power of RMweb!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I've found 3mm mdf to be pretty bendy - I used to get 2mm from Homebase - fantastic for the backscene - but it doesn't seem to available any more. Keep following the thread and chip in with any ideas/suggestions. THAT is the power of RMweb!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jeff, 2mm? must be card!! B&Q (just usually a satisfied customer) stock 6mm bendy MDF

Must be your last day tomorrow?

Best wishes for your retirement

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jeff, 2mm? must be card!! B&Q (just usually a satisfied customer) stock 6mm bendy MDF

Must be your last day tomorrow?

Best wishes for your retirement

Jonathan

Jonathan,

You really have been following my thread. Cheers! Yep, last day tomorrow. I went into teaching after working in research, but after roughly 5200 teaching days and 22000 lessons, it's time to call it a day! I'm sure I can find a few things to do!

I'm not surprised you feel inspired if you live in Leyburn - nice part of the country. I look forward to seeing whatever you have planned develop.

And btw, I'm still learning from my mistakes. That's part of the fun - can be infuriating - but it helps me to improve!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All coming along very nicely Jeff; I check in very often to see how you are getting on and more than any other thread I can think of, yours comes across as a man who is thoroughly enjoying what he is doing.

Best wishes and congratulations for your last day at work tomorrow and the leaving do and remember, there is no such thing as "too drunk", especially when it's your party and others are (hopefully) paying :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jason! I have to admit that my mates stitched me up last week... a fantastic meal (seemed like several, it was so immense) followed by a "few" drinks. How I got through the next day, I don't know! Anyway, my retirement speech will be the highlight of tomorrow...

Yes, I really do enjoy the layout work. Quite a number of my students have got an email addy just to keep tabs on layout progress!! I think if you don't enjoy what you're doing you may as well give up! I think you have the same philosophy - it's clear from the pages of Bacup that you are willing to try all sorts of stuff and not get too wound-up if it doesn't quite work. I have to admit, I never thought I'd be able to build the curved viaduct structure, but, taking it bit-by-bit, it's worked out. I admire your scratchbuilding as you just do simple things and the end result is excellent.

Have a superb time in the Alps! Don't fall off any mountains in your quest for the ultimate mountain-biking thrill! We need to see Bacup completed!! Lol. :sungum:

All the best,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work on the main viaduct and I'll be interested to see how the branchline one shapes up, Jam will be impressed. :good:

Thanks very much. I will also be interested to see how the branch viaduct develops - though further progress will have to wait a week or so due to family commitments.

As long as any of my "methods" are useful to anyone, I'm pleased!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much. I will also be interested to see how the branch viaduct develops - though further progress will have to wait a week or so due to family commitments.

As long as any of my "methods" are useful to anyone, I'm pleased!

Cheers,

Jeff

Well Jeff, you have plenty of time on your hands now and salary until the end of August so we expect some rapid progress :mosking:

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Well Jeff, you have plenty of time on your hands now and salary until the end of August so we expect some rapid progress :mosking:

Jonathan

Hee hee. You know my plans! I'll be ordering the track in a week or so. Having sorted out the basic positions I'll fit the curved viaduct in place and use it to guide the height of the baseboards/risers.

Bear in mind a few journeys on the S&C, a bit of fishing, some walking and I may get a little layout work done! But Jonathan, as you'll have noticed, once I get going I get a little obsessed!

Keep monitoring progress!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's an open question - all responses appreciated. Even though I model 4mm I've always used Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone plasticard for the stone facing on viaducts. The card is coloured using an ink wipe (mostly black) - as suggested many years ago by Allan Downes. Has anybody got any alternatives to the above plasticard? Do Evergreen make an equivalent product?

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Here's an open question - all responses appreciated. Even though I model 4mm I've always used Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone plasticard for the stone facing on viaducts. The card is coloured using an ink wipe (mostly black) - as suggested many years ago by Allan Downes. Has anybody got any alternatives to the above plasticard? Do Evergreen make an equivalent product?

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff, Don't think they do embossed sheets and if they did if it's like their strip etc it would be very expensive. I use Scalescenes stuff. It's not embossed but from viewing distances it looks good and once you've bought it you can reproduce as much as you want. Wills sheets are too thick, cutting them is a nightmare. If your heart's set on Slater's stuff, I will be driving passed their new shop in Darley Dale first week in August if you want some collecting and save the postage for more important things. I work in Stockton so you can collect it from me.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Don't think they do embossed sheets and if they did if it's like their strip etc it would be very expensive. I use Scalescenes stuff. It's not embossed but from viewing distances it looks good and once you've bought it you can reproduce as much as you want. Wills sheets are too thick, cutting them is a nightmare. If your heart's set on Slater's stuff, I will be driving passed their new shop in Darley Dale first week in August if you want some collecting and save the postage for more important things. I work in Stockton so you can collect it from me.

Jonathan

Jonathan - many thanks for your superb offer! I'm still musing at the moment - as I have an existing stock of the Slaters stuff and wondered if there was an alternative. So, if you don't mind, I will leave it for now.

Whereabouts in Stockton do you work? Do you make the commute from Leyburn every day? I know it's not a huge distance but in crappy weather I'd think the journey is a pain.

I agree about the Wills sheets - and for the area I have to cover it would be cheaper to cover the viaduct in gold!

I'm going to be away for a while but will get back to the viaducts in a fortnight or so.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Jonathan - many thanks for your superb offer! I'm still musing at the moment - as I have an existing stock of the Slaters stuff and wondered if there was an alternative. So, if you don't mind, I will leave it for now.

Whereabouts in Stockton do you work? Do you make the commute from Leyburn every day? I know it's not a huge distance but in crappy weather I'd think the journey is a pain.

I agree about the Wills sheets - and for the area I have to cover it would be cheaper to cover the viaduct in gold!

I'm going to be away for a while but will get back to the viaducts in a fortnight or so.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Have a good time. I am a civil servant working at the ground floor office of St Mark's House, across the footbridge from Stockton shopping centre, but will probably be moved to Darlington when the offices closes for good a year in October. It is a long way but we moved so that my late SWMBO could be nearer to her school. The drive back home is fantastic though even in winter. Never missed a day due to weather although have been late on one or two occasions.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Have a good time. I am a civil servant working at the ground floor office of St Mark's House, across the footbridge from Stockton shopping centre, but will probably be moved to Darlington when the offices closes for good a year in October. It is a long way but we moved so that my late SWMBO could be nearer to her school. The drive back home is fantastic though even in winter. Never missed a day due to weather although have been late on one or two occasions.

Jonathan

Morning Jonathan,

Sorry for the delay, but I've just arrived back home. A couple of days here then it's probably back to dads for a spell of fishing! Ironically, Cumbria has had crap weather over the last 3 days while the rest of the country appears to have basked in sunshine - I arrive home to find...crap weather!!

A move to Darlington would probably be easier for you - a quick whizz up the A1? Stockton has come on a long way since I moved over here in the mid-80s. You are probably working near to the derelict site visited by Maggie Thatcher before regeneration began.

Well, I've just bought myself a new drill and have got the branchline viaduct sketched-out. So maybe I'll get a little bit of work done today!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, hope you are well and enjoying your retirement, I am looking forward to seeing the FIRST viaduct in situ, all the best Andy.

Many thanks Andy. I have to admit, the concept of retirement hasn't sunk in yet. I've been having lots of dreams with people at work asking me to do jobs for them - quite disconcerting!

As I've said in the previous post, I've just popped home from my father's... his 77th birthday this week and a spot of fishing to get on with. However, I've drawn-up the dimensions of the branch viaduct, so I'll make a start. Then I'll try cladding both viaducts - that should be interesting!

Dad doesn't have internet, so I've also got to catch up on RMweb.

Hope your project is taking shape!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Work on Branch viaduct started... built for track at nominal radius of 116cm (about 3' 10" in old money)...

3 arches, height the same as the Mainline viaduct (about 75 feet, scaled!!).

Width of (single line) viaduct set at 8cm (20' in reality).

The last couple of pages have been mainly words, so here's a picture of the inner face - before cutting.

Jeff

post-13778-0-60704900-1343218555_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The first batch of track has finally been ordered! So the "railway" bit seems a touch nearer!!

30 yards of SMP and a variety of 60" turnouts, 36/54" curved turnouts, single and double slip (54").

Hey, guess what? You'll all be able to look at photos of track lined up in a "mock" arrangement soon - now won't that be exciting?!

In the meantime, off to cut some ply supports for the piers and use my photocopied track templates (thanks Al) to get an idea of where the track will go. I just hope the "viaduct bit" fits into the allowed space (only joking - I hope!).

Jeff

Have fun putting the new 'train set' together! :)

Some photos of curvy little things with long legs to inspire you:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/43317-viaduct-area/

http://www.users.daelnet.co.uk/edmund/layout.htm

I'm sure your layout will be equally bursting with S&C flavour once the scenery starts to take shape - looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Will. I spotted the viaduct you posted in your first link - it was in the Gallery, yesterday. I thought it was interesting too. The second link is a very comprehensive bit of work. Nice.

I'm just off to cut some more ply, mark out the rear fascia and, hopefully, I'll have an outline Branch viaduct by this evening... pics to follow if I get there!

Jeff