Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

You sir ar an artist. How you managed to get your lamps in to give such a wonderful lighting over the top of LuneFell I'll never know.

The S&C moodyness is there in spades!

Andy G

Ha haaaaaaa..... I call it LUCK!! 2 of the 4 halogens on the end section that predominantly lights the Fell have "blown". The other 2 then provide the highlighting/shadow effect - almost as if the crown of the hill is lit up and the rest is in cloud.

I'm not clever enough to ARRANGE it!! 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just don't fix them Jeff! The effect is perfect as it is. BTW if they are 240v ones, B&Q sell Megaman energy saving bulbs which are just as good, with good coloyur rendition too, I use them in my downlighters at home...

Andy G

Seriously impressive Jeff

That shot from the station side with the colour on the hills looks great, it really shows what an impact that hill is going to have for anyone viewing it for the first time, it has most definitely got the WOW factor.

Doesn't that once large viaduct look so small now against the hill - should call it a fell really - just like the real thing though.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

You are really going to capture the 'railway in a landscape' look with KL going to be rather special I think.

Don

I only hope you are right about that, Don. I'll certainly continue to try my best!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Seriously impressive Jeff

That shot from the station side with the colour on the hills looks great, it really shows what an impact that hill is going to have for anyone viewing it for the first time, it has most definitely got the WOW factor.

Doesn't that once large viaduct look so small now against the hill - should call it a fell really - just like the real thing though.

Jim

Quite a few pages back (!!) there were some comments about viaduct building. If the valley wasn't the right size, the Midland Railway wouldn't have gone to the expense of putting a viaduct in....

I've tried to bear that in mind - and I'm pleased to see the viaduct gradually being swallowed into the landscape. Hopefully, when the embankments, valley sides, stream and a suitable backscene (which I haven't considered yet - but I'm going to have to make one myself) are all in place, the viaduct will be a mere man-made pinprick-on-the-landscape!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, that pic of the pops sorry, Peak, really puts the size of the Fell and Valley into perspective, fantastic job mate.

Are you going to contour the bit below the station to take away the flat top look?

32 rolls? wow now I am worried about my last great project, I had better start saving NOW :wild: :wild: :wild:

Bodgit :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, that pic of the pops sorry, Peak, really puts the size of the Fell and Valley into perspective, fantastic job mate.

Are you going to contour the bit below the station to take away the flat top look?

32 rolls? wow now I am worried about my last great project, I had better start saving NOW :wild: :wild: :wild:

Bodgit :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I'm going to try and put some height variation in, but I'm a bit limited with the space I've got.

I'll try and doctor a photo to show what I have in mind. Let me know what you think.

Jeff

I'm going to try and put some height variation in, but I'm a bit limited with the space I've got.

I'll try and doctor a photo to show what I have in mind. Let me know what you think.

Jeff

I would rather you sent me a Nurse, (female of course) rather than a Doctor :telephone: :telephone: :spiteful:

• RMweb Premium

I would rather you sent me a Nurse, (female of course) rather than a Doctor :telephone: :telephone: :spiteful:

Sorry, none going spare! You'll have to make do with my wonderful photos instead!!

Jeff - Leonardo Lunester!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, latest pics now make sense mate, thanks

Bodgit

Please feel free to criticise/offer alternatives, Andy. The general idea was thrashed out a couple of months ago in discussions with Scott (Jukebox). But the ideas aren't set in stone.

The section in front of the station that mounds up will be removable for the time being to allow for access.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Seems to be a concensus in support of the idea.

You know me - I'll build it and if it doesn't look right, I'll rip it up and bin it!!

I just love building landscapes!

Jeff

*snip*

But the ideas aren't set in stone.

*snip*

Jeff

No, just emergency-ward quantities of modroc and plaster.... 

Some very imposing work there. Jeff.  Didn't you have some ballasting you were supposed to do? (and what colour are you thinking of using?)

Cheers

Scott

• RMweb Gold

Morning Jeff, winter hasn't released it's grip just yet, there was 3" of snow on top of my car on Monday morning, sorry about your cancelled trip. Have you got the electrics finished? I seem to remember that you might have the odd job still to do but that was many pages back and now we are immersed in scenery. Much easier on the eye now it's painted and we can see the definition. That culvert -  has a stream that flowed through the station area been culverted, if so what happens at the other side of the station or is it just drainage?

• RMweb Gold

I favour drainage any stream could have been diverted another way down to the valley. Typically a stream would be diverted along the track area to where the tracks narrow then cross under this would be done when laying out the area unless of course the yard/station is a later addition.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Looking very nice Jeff, but isn't the culvert a bit high as the other side would be at track level? I know it is just a rough sketch, but.....

Good point - it was only a rough sketch but that's just the kind of mistake I could make when I build it. It'll be lowered down a bit.

Thanks Jason.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

No, just emergency-ward quantities of modroc and plaster.... 

Some very imposing work there. Jeff.  Didn't you have some ballasting you were supposed to do? (and what colour are you thinking of using?)

Cheers

Scott

No ballasting yet - though I could start as the electrics seem to be ok. I've still got those blasted headshunts to fit as well!

I'll have to have another look at some S&C pics of Kirkby Stephen - again - before choosing  the colours.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff, winter hasn't released it's grip just yet, there was 3" of snow on top of my car on Monday morning, sorry about your cancelled trip. Have you got the electrics finished? I seem to remember that you might have the odd job still to do but that was many pages back and now we are immersed in scenery. Much easier on the eye now it's painted and we can see the definition. That culvert -  has a stream that flowed through the station area been culverted, if so what happens at the other side of the station or is it just drainage?

I think we'll keep the culvert as a simple drainage feature. It's in the scheme to add a bit of scenic interest to an otherwise bland stretch of ground.

Yes, very cool outside. But pleasant in the bunker now it has it's door fitted. An hour with the heater (rather than 3 or 4) and it's up to 15C - and stays there with just the lights on. Feels nice working in there when it's snowing outside!

Jeff

No ballasting yet - though I could start as the electrics seem to be ok. I've still got those blasted headshunts to fit as well!

I'll have to have another look at some S&C pics of Kirkby Stephen - again - before choosing  the colours.

Jeff

Morning Jeff,

A bit of advice if I may be so BALD bold, get some stock out and run run run for about 3 Months while you do other little jobs, Long goods, maine line expresses etc, and just make sure the all the main lines, fiddle yard lines, and sidings in the station are going to work for you. Make sure there are no niggles glitches, or other bits that will annoy you for ever more. Shunt wagons, passenger stock, work the branch and generally get the most from the time you have before you start ballasting. It will pay in the long run and will reward with a GREAT LAYOUT.

Bodgit

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning Jeff,

A bit of advice if I may be so BALD bold, get some stock out and run run run for about 3 Months while you do other little jobs, Long goods, maine line expresses etc, and just make sure the all the main lines, fiddle yard lines, and sidings in the station are going to work for you. Make sure there are no niggles glitches, or other bits that will annoy you for ever more. Shunt wagons, passenger stock, work the branch and generally get the most from the time you have before you start ballasting. It will pay in the long run and will reward with a GREAT LAYOUT.

Bodgit

You may, indeed, be bold, dear Baron!!

Yes, Andy - I'm quite happy to do that. I've done a bit of running, but I'm a bit limited at the mo as I don't take stock into the room when I'm building - dust issues. however, there are plenty of opportunities coming up to do as you said - and it's also a good chance to run through my fleet.

Many of my locos - the current stock dates from 2008 - have had little running since I bought them - maybe an hour max. So yes, good idea.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Another question; the levelled area, will that be within the railway boundary or in the field, as it is pretty unlikely that the field and ground outside of the railway would be totally level. What may look very nice is if the field edge is raised, with a small banking running down to track level (made to look man made) with the boundary wall running along the top of the embankment.