Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

And now for something COMPLETELY different.... Railway Modelling.

I think that's the name of the game....

Some views of Lune Fell - still as white as snow. Still no G***s!

attachicon.gif100_2833.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2835.JPG

attachicon.gif100_2837.JPG

Jeff

Did you mention the G WORD,?

That is looking terrific  Jeff, I am so wanting to see that green, even a tin of Durex :nono:  Dulux would bring it to life,

Off you go to B & Q in the morning armed with a bit of lawn and say to the nice man, "please can you mix me some of this colour?" :no: :no:

Bodgit :scratchhead:

I've looked at lots of photos of the real thing and that looks like it fits perfectly.  :sungum: Bit white though :jester:  Could do with some G***s

Duncan/

Duncan did I see you mention the G Word again? :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Hairy Bodgit :angel:

Andy

Have you tried chemists. If not there, a friendly nurse or Paramedic might be able to help

Duncan

Jeff needs the Nurse, with a body like that it's more like a Night Nurse, hahhaaa

Chemists only stock stuff that is non fluffy, I've spoken to a trade supplier, and am awaiting an answer. I've a mate who is a paramedic, never thought of asking him!

Andy G

Try a Haberdashery they will sell all sorts of dress material, you may even get it in GRASS COLOUR :O

See I can be sensible sometimes :no:

Bodgit the Great :sungum:

Oh no no no no

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Came on here to check things out and found out everyone was racing towards post #10000 so I've been reading and reading and reading trying to stop laughing....and imagining the GRASS skirt and leis - erm - new life in the bunker cordial.gif

Rushing off now to recover get a coffee...

Had-enough Lune :jester:

Me toooooooooooo Polly Babe

Bodgit the beach Babe :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Its taken an Hour to read through laughing,and another Hour to re read and enter 12 replies, now I am off to the Lounge to Reak havaock in there :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodgit the Terrible :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Scott,

I'm watching the Test Match from Wellington, NZ. They stated that Wellington is ranked as the windiest city in the world. They said that Perth was in the top ten. Is it breezy out your way?

Jeff

Hi Jeff;

Yes, it does get quite windy here, although I found many of the stereotypes false: people not from Perth talk about the "Fremantle Doctor" - an afternoon wind that comes in from the west (the Port of Fremantle) to cool the city on hot summer evenings, but I've not heard too many locals actually use that name to describe it, since I moved here in 1994. 

Conversely, where I am south of the city is a virtual tornado alley.  If you Google "Rockingham tornado" you'll get links to storms spread acoss a number of years of storms that have de-roofed houses...  About a year ago we had a monumental storm here the likes of which I had never seen in 45 years - lightning stikes total exceed 14,000 in twelve hours, I seem to remember - and we were deluged with rain.  Luckily we hadnt started our extensions then...

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/giant-freak-lightning-storms-rumble-across-western-australia/

But the windiest place I have ever been - and I've spent time in Wellington - was the Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.  It's on the Outer Banks, right on the coast, and is the place the Wright Brothers went to, to test fly the Wright Flyer.  I guess they needed as much help from the wind as they could get... and they sure picked the (W)right place.

wright-brothers-memorial-kids-27.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Scott. Very interesting - particularly the lightning/tornado bit. Very scary!

About time for bed. I've been in the bunker measuring up some ply to cut in the morning to provide a front to part of the Fell. It's an easy job and I'll show some pics later today.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

emt_911, on 14 Mar 2013 - 21:07, said:snapback.png

I think Polly and Bodgit have missed out on one of the funniest exchanges for a long while

I wouldn't say 'missed out' rather I couldn't get a post in edgeways.    :mail:  You lot were posting faster than I could keep up.   :jester:

Sorry, but I've decided to relocate KL into the Arctic Circle.

Too cold for grass and a permanent snow coating.

Saves on Grassmasters, Fibres, flock etc. Ideal.

No need for body hair either..... :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Jeff

Be careful, there, Jeff.  You'll be into polar bears, global warming researchers, whale watchers, North Pole record breakers, mountain hares and white eagles not to mention deciding where the glacier is going to recede and where to put the Lunester Forces training camp...Of, course, there won't be any buses or trains but you could have the Top Gear 4x4 or some huskies pulling a sledge.

Well, having sorted KL in deep freeze, I think I can safely retire to a warm bed.  :sarcastic:

:lazy:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Gold

Anyway Jeff, back to serious modelling although it's good to have a laugh from time to time. I would imagine those sheep shelters would be rough and ready affairs, built into a corner where two walls meet with some hefty sandstone roofing patched up with some rusting corrugated sheets.

• RMweb Gold

I looked in last night but but the time I had read through it and kept laughing it was too late to comment.

KL covered in snow would look good but it is not that easy you have to paint the bits where the snow doesn't get (lee side of walls etc) to make it look right.

For a minute there talking about the Wrights and a windy spot I thought it was this Wight right windy spot

post-8525-0-04165400-1363338586_thumb.jpg

Tennyson Down IoW

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I'll be giving the snow a miss. Too bland for my taste, though there are some excellent layouts featuring the stuff.

I also don't think I'll be incorporating wind into my plans. I suppose it's an integral part of the S&C - and no doubt there's a diehard somewhere that's done this. Stormclouds as well?

Actually, mood lighting to vary light intensity and colour could be very effective....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

After the Nepalese I had last night, introducing wind to Bacup hasn't been an issue this morning. One of the tiny figures on the layout was seen to hold his nose and check his shoe for dog crap before :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyway Jeff, back to serious modelling although it's good to have a laugh from time to time. I would imagine those sheep shelters would be rough and ready affairs, built into a corner where two walls meet with some hefty sandstone roofing patched up with some rusting corrugated sheets.

Is someone talking 'serious'?  In Lunester Land?

Serious?  That's very serious - talk about toning down the place! Rough and ready?  Rust?  Whatever next?  You'll be wanting end-of-steam, next, locos extremely heavily weathered, gutted, and rotting away in the sidings and what's left of the railway looking pretty grotty...............

But I get your point. Honestly, I do.  :tender:

Yes, I'll be giving the snow a miss. Too bland for my taste, though there are some excellent layouts featuring the stuff.

I also don't think I'll be incorporating wind into my plans. I suppose it's an integral part of the S&C - and no doubt there's a diehard somewhere that's done this. Stormclouds as well?

Actually, mood lighting to vary light intensity and colour could be very effective....

Jeff

Oh yes you could, Jeff!

When you shape those few trees you mentioned, you could take into account the prevailing wind, certainly with any that you plant in exposed places.  You  might also want to indicate the leeward side of the landscape, walls, outcrops, viaduct, buildings by the vegetation or by which way the sheep are facing or where they're standing/lying.  I suspect photos may show variations in windward/leeward aspects.  Then there's the sun factor....   and the rain (wetter on the windward side)...I could go on....but I won't [who said: 'PHEW!?] you all know all this - just a gentle wind up   :nono: bit of encouragement.   :yes:

Have good day in the Bunker, Jeff, and not too many surprises for us, eh?  :butcher:

Having-a-harmless-dig Lune :tomato:

And, yep, that troublesome tooth's well and truly gone, but at least I've still got my hair on - so far :spruceup:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thing is Polly, with the expanse of countryside that Jeff is modelling, the extreme weather up there and the prevailing Westerly winds (straight off the Irish Sea), they are things that need to be considered, especially the windswept trees if in exposed places. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thing is Polly, with the expanse of countryside that Jeff is modelling, the extreme weather up there and the prevailing Westerly winds (straight off the Irish Sea), they are things that need to be considered, especially the windswept trees if in exposed places. 

Yup, Jason, speaking from straight off the Irish Sea experience, so we know all about it - horizontal rain, rattling and broken roof slates, refuse bin lids and refuse disappearing overnight never to return - eventually to get caught up in the trees and walls on KL - that's when it's blowing sou'west, of course and we get a lot of that.   :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Both Jeff and I also know only too well about that wet and blustery wind, him from living in Barrow (my Mum refers to it as the windiest place on Earth) and me at the top of the Kent Estuary. What I wouldn't give to still be living there now, with it's 'interesting' weather :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both Jeff and I also know only too well about that wet and blustery wind, him from living in Barrow (my Mum refers to it as the windiest place on Earth) and me at the top of the Kent Estuary. What I wouldn't give to still be living there now, with it's 'interesting' weather :)

Your mum is probably close to the truth! It's significant that there is a HUGE offshore wind farm, not 2 miles from the coast at Barrow.

My dad lives in one of the highest places in the town. It's usually breezy and often extremely so. The last x times I've been over, it's poured down and blown a gale. Going over on Monday for 4-5 days, so I'll be wearing my factor 50 to prevent wind tan!

I love the place, though. Just like you have your empathy with Cumbria, Jason.

Jeff

Jeff

And a 12 inch rotating fan in the corner on FULL POWER :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is someone talking 'serious'?  In Lunester Land?

Serious?  That's very serious - talk about toning down the place! Rough and ready?  Rust?  Whatever next?  You'll be wanting end-of-steam, next, locos extremely heavily weathered, gutted, and rotting away in the sidings and what's left of the railway looking pretty grotty...............

But I get your point. Honestly, I do.  :tender:

Oh yes you could, Jeff!

When you shape those few trees you mentioned, you could take into account the prevailing wind, certainly with any that you plant in exposed places.  You  might also want to indicate the leeward side of the landscape, walls, outcrops, viaduct, buildings by the vegetation or by which way the sheep are facing or where they're standing/lying.  I suspect photos may show variations in windward/leeward aspects.  Then there's the sun factor....   and the rain (wetter on the windward side)...I could go on....but I won't [who said: 'PHEW!?] you all know all this - just a gentle wind up   :nono: bit of encouragement.   :yes:

Have good day in the Bunker, Jeff, and not too many surprises for us, eh?  :butcher:

Having-a-harmless-dig Lune :tomato:

And, yep, that troublesome tooth's well and truly gone, but at least I've still got my hair on - so far :spruceup:

No surprises today, Polly. Routine work to tidy-up part of the frontage on Lune Fell.

Having (another) coffee.... will take some photos in an hour or so.

And - I have to go down to B&Q tomorrow to re-stock on a few items - so I'll get a can of cheap brown emulsion and start dowsing the fells!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

And a 12 inch rotating fan in the corner on FULL POWER :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Bodgit :sungum:

Steady on, Andy! I don't want to blow my wig off! (I definitely don't have one).

And - dare I mention it for the LAST time - I don't want to get a chill when working in the bunker dressed in the m**k**i!! (You couldn't pay me enough to wear one!!)

Now, behave yourself today :nono:  :nono: . I think you've been indulging in too much Glenfinick over the last couple of days!!!!!   :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  

Jeff ..... Blowy Lunester